THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at a year on 7/25. Ironically enough, I'll be at my recovery home hosting a baby shower for my youngest nephew and his wife there that day. I'm so grateful. I say that a lot but it comes from the deepest part of my being. I'm living again.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can't wait to live again!!!! It's been 8 long years and 60 lbs since I could say I was really livin'. I went from uber active, to barely walking. I can't wait to go hiking again. How long did it take you till you could do a medium difficulty 2 hr hike?
Your River cruise sounds amazing!!!!! I've seen adds on TV for a European River cruise. Sounds like such an awesome way to visit many big, port, cities! Have a blast and keep inspiring us!


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Hi @Tweefishy! You'll be living your life in no time but please err on the side of caution as your recovery progresses so you don't overdo and hurt yourself! No matter how long it took me to hike for two hours, your body will tell you how to move and when you've done too much. I think my recovery seemed easy because I didn't push and was patient. I added minutes to my walks each day, not miles! But every advance gets you closer to your goal. It really is a marathon until one day you realize you are doing all the old things you used to enjoy without a thought of your hip!

I'm not an athlete. Never have been, but I'm in better shape without pain than I have been in years. I'm 62, love to travel, and enjoy doing things with my family -- just like everyone else! So, with your active lifestyle, my guess is that you will experience a higher activity level quicker than I did if you can resist the urge to overdo!

Congrats and keep up the good work!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
About a month ago, I went for my usual dental cleaning with a handful of amoxicillin an hour prior to appointment. All was going well until the hygienist spotted a little fistule on the outer side of my gum. She poked and took an X-ray and, yes, I had an abscess. So they put me on antibiotics for about a week and got me in for the dreaded root canal. More antibiotics now and a return visit in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping that we caught it early enough to not affect my hip. I've googled and read about how quickly bacteria can spread through dental work as its a straight shot to the blood stream.

Remind me not to look for trouble.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal:
I've just spent the last 2 days reading your thread, from the first to your last post. I've laughed and cried reading your posts. But what I have determined is that you are one amazing woman! You are an inspiration to all us "pre-hippies" and "post-hippies". I am scheduled for my posterior LTHR this Thursday and hope and pray my recovery is anywhere close to what you experienced. I am not the least bit scared or apprehensive now and know this is the best thing I could do for myself if I want any quality of life going forward. Like you, I have a wonderful, caring and doting husband who will make sure I don't overdo anything. Many, many thanks to you for sharing all of your experiences. I truly look forward to coming out on the other side, a new woman! Thank you again for your inspiration!
 
Hi @beachgal how is the abscess? I hope its clearing up, I too have been to the dentist, and phew, all was ok for now, have to have one checked again in 6 months...just in case. So lucky your dentist noticed the fistule. How long after a THR do we need antibiotics before a dentist?
 
@Nana757, wow! I'm so honored and humbled at the fact that you read it all! My goodness, you're my new BFF! Every word is the truth. As miserable as I was pre-op, it's just that good now. Gets better every day. Yes, I still have the occasional tweak from overdoing it, but it never lasts long. I really did get my life back, and so did my hubby, my dog, and my extended family. They will celebrate with me on 7/25 as it was a victory for us all!

Get your head on straight. Go in, determined to make it the best it can be for you, be smart, pamper yourself like you've never done before, and you'll be amazed at how well your body will respond. It WANTS to be well. Give it a fighting chance and it will be joyous! Promise.

I'll be your cheerleader throughout your rehab and recovery. You've invested time into reading all about my experience, so I'll pay it back. One thing more, there was a time right before the op day came, that I knew I had done everything I could do, I was prepared, house was ready, clothes were ready, food in the freezer, etc. but I was still searching for what I had missed. That's when I gave it to God. It was His miracle, not mine. Once I did that, and made peace with knowing that there was nothing more I could do, it was a freedom like none other. Whatever your beliefs are, there will be a time that this surgery belongs in someone else's hands. Don't be afraid to let it go. In the end, we're only required to give it our best.

You've SO got this! :happydance:
 
@Suzette, well, I think the abscess is ok. I never had any pain with it but I've taken three rounds of antibiotics, mostly to satisfy myself that I've done as much as I can do. My dentist has done the first part of the root canal, and I'm scheduled to go back for the last of it next week. I've been taking four 500mg amoxicillian before my teeth cleaning since my THR. I'll probably always do that since I'm prone to err on the side of caution. From what I've read (Google can be a dangerous thing!) the bloodstream is so active around your mouth and gums, that it's super-easy for bacteria to travel to your hip area. That said, there is really no clinical evidence that anyone's infected hip area is directly related to dental work as it seems to take a while to surface and by that time, the source of the infection could have come from anywhere. Flu, pneumonia, dental work, it's just hard to trace.

One thing, too, I hadn't thought of until I started reading...the "hip" doesn't really get infected since there is no blood supply to it. There is a "biofilm" that grows quickly around your prothesis shortly after the THR and the bacteria can attach to it, infecting the tissue, etc. around the hip joint. I'm no nurse and I'm sure my explanation is lame, but it makes sense. I think it's one of those things that you just have to accept as a possibility and learn to manage it from being alert to infections of any kind to increased pain in the op hip area.

My little fistule is still there although it's smaller. I would have thought after all the antibiotics, it would have gone away. Worst case scenario for the tooth, the root canal doesn't do the trick and I lose the tooth. There could be a small cyst at the base of one of the roots that the root canal doesn't touch or allow to drain which would require the removal of the tooth. The infection could be coming from this cyst, if one is present. I just don't know if this is what I'm dealing with or not.

I'm sure some of the nurses on this forum might have a better understanding but the chances are relatively slim that all of the above will occur. I'm choosing to believe that we caught it early and once it's completed, I won't give it another thought. Yep, denial.....haha :shrug:
 
@beachgal: I hope your dental problems clear up soon. I got all my dental work done before being cleared for surgery. What a relief. As much as I hate having my teeth worked on, it was a necessary evil. Thinking back at some of your posts, I really got a chuckle reading the one about the gent who was jogging and playing golf shortly after his surgery. I had to relate, just a little bit, mind you, because I have just learned how to play golf. My husband is a avid golfer and I wanted to be able to join him occasionally. It became my only form of exercise and I loved it. I became, what he calls, a "range rat". ⛳️However, I am in no way going to jeopardize this surgery by getting out there too soon. I am determined this is going to be the 2nd best thing that I can do for myself. Also, while I'm not an overly religious person, I do believe in the power of prayer and He does come through for me when I need Him most. I am ready for this and will accept what comes my way! Thanks for your well wishes. It continues to amaze me how supporting and loving everyone is on BS. All like one big family. It's wonderful.
BTW, Happy Anniversary on your 1 year with your new hip!!! Celebrate!!!!
 
So. Here I am at the one-year anniversary of the night before my THR. Let me set the scene. I'm back in our Jackson area home. I love this place. I am alone. Hubby and dog are on the coast as I prepare for a baby shower for my youngest nephew and his wife--a baby girl due in September. This home is full of love and all the trimmings of a brunch tomorrow morning. Quite a different ambiance from last year.

All of my sisters have checked in with me much as they did last year. Friends have dropped off fresh garden tomatoes and cucumbers as I make brownies. A glass of wine has been close by but I've been busy tonight, climbing on step-stools for that antique pitcher that was Mom's, a platter that belonged to my favorite aunt, lemonade glasses lined up, and monogrammed napkins, announcing my new great niece, Teddie Grace.

There is nothing to share about my hip, which is the best news of all. I hardly think about it anymore. Aware, that's all.

To say that my THR was life-changing is an understatement. It was like being born again. My hip was bad when I was young, so my new one completes me. For anyone on the fence, trying to determine if it's time or if it's worth it, there are no words. I am worth it and so are you. We all deserve the best life holds for us and sometimes that choice is up to us. I grabbed that ring and never looked back. I have been rewarded far beyond what I deserve. I am grateful.

You won't see me here tomorrow. I'll be busy living life with a prayer for each of you that you will be able to do the same. I love you all more than you could imagine. Without you, I would have been so unhappy. I would have muddled through, but you provided the means for me to thrive. Pay it forward? I have no choice.

This forum has become my best guilty pleasure. I love watching folks walk through that door to the other side and succeed. It takes persistence and patience but everyone handles it in their way. I marvel at those who have surpassed me with horseback riding and marathons. I'm honored to be a part of those stories. I want to travel to PA and VA, to the UK, and down under to meet my heroes, though I probably never will. No matter. They are still on a pedestal and they know who they are.

Good night, BSmarties. You hold my heart!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
so beautiful @ beach gal
you give me such hope.
bless you. Happy Anniversary.
 
Wonderful post. The first good thing is getting through the op and the recovery and back to normal life. The second good thing is, as you say, being amazed at all of the stories of those that, hip wise come after you. I do believe we are lucky. I am, at the moment, suffering with a broken foot which has a slow recovery time but it does not take away from the marvels of the hip.
 
@copsham, blessings to you, your foot, and your hip. I've also been amazed at how many hippies tackle other health issues either with or after their THR. Prayers for an extra dose of patience and extraordinary heeling two-fold in your life.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
July 25, 2015. It was the best of days. Baby shower was perfect. Cleaned up afterwards alone with plenty of energy to spare. Spent a few hours in the pool with my sisters. Felt good to be with them today in such a happy place. Beats a hospital room, hands down. Talked with hubby awhile about how we spent this day last year and what a difference the surgery and the past 12 months have made. We are both so happy.

I'll be driving back to the coast tomorrow after I put out flowers at the cemetery. My parents and my favorite aunt and uncle are all buried there and I know they would be so proud that I have made the hard choice. I watched them through the years when they faced adversity and they handled it with grace and style. I'd like to think some of that rubbed off on me.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal: I think you are the epitome of grace and style! I'm sure your parents and aunt and uncle are looking down on you with nothing but pride and happiness for you. And, I love the quote! So glad you had a wonderful day with family yesterday.
 
Not just a bit lass, seems to me you have taken those attributes and moulded them into your everyday thoughts.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom