THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So excited for you . . . we will be watching for your great adventures!
 
Hello,
I an due to have bilateral hip replacement on April 8th both on the same day. I really want to be able to sit on the floor again cross leg. I am 50 and used to ski, run, hike, but has been several years since I could due to much pain. I then got lazy because the pain exhausted me. I'm very nervous about the surgery, but my young son (9) wants to ride a bike with his mom. So I guess I'm ready .
I think I will try to take yoga when I'm ready for pt. I just need to find the time. Work and travel keeps me super busy and due to pain don't sleep much so don't like to get up early to fit it in.
Do any of you think yoga befor the surgery will help? Or should I just wait until after? Do you know if I am hurting anything or damaging anything if I workout too much before surgery? I want to start going to the gym to get in good shape for surgery but don't want to make things worst..heard you can make surgery harder the more ware you have on the joint?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @catdemar - In the months before my surgery on 16th Jan 2015, I went swimming at least twice a week doing the crawl not breast stroke. I am sure this has helped me in my two weeks of recovery so far. Having stronger arms/shoulders helped me to quickly get used to crutches and then canes and to easily shift myself up or down the bed. I could easily move myself using my arms to the edge of the bed to get out and to assist myself getting up the stairs. etc. Also psychologically when I was doing the crawl it was the only time I felt "normal".

I think I read that if you did EXTREME exercise the muscles get very very strong in the leg/hip region and this makes the surgery harder but not impossible!

In terms of preparation I read and followed a high protein diet, took good quality vits and minerals and did a healing/meditation tape several times a week. This prevented my total panic and stopped me running away!

Like many posters, I think the anticipation and waiting is/was the worst aspect and I found that the more I was doing in preparation the better I was able to cope. Having said that for the final two weeks wait I went in to a weird state, sort of disassociated from it all. I was cut off from my emotions telling everyone "I'm fine" boasting how well I was coping given my phobia. It was weird but at least it got me to the hospital and I did not run away.

Now 2 weeks on I am developing surely but slowly, having done the most scary thing in my life LOL!
 
Checking in again with my BS buddies! Paris was wonderful, cold, rainy, amazing, and romantic! No problems with slippery sidewalks or long walks. I took my time and we spent eight grand days savory by all the delights this city has to offer. I'll confess, I was happy to be home and see the beautiful sunshine and feel the warm temps!

I've been slacking off in my exercise routine and know I need to be diligent about it. The muscles in my thigh and hips need to be stronger and I'm aware that my one-year anniversary is in July. I promise to make time each day to work on my strength.

THR is still the second-best thing I ever did. Hands down. I pray every night for all of us who have had this surgery and those contemplating it. It's life-changing, on so many levels.

David is getting more accustomed to his CPAP machine and his quality of rest is improving. Grateful all he needs is oxygen. No pills or surgery. Haha.

Tax season is in full swing and I'm dressing for a Saturday work day on this St Valentine's Day but I'm wishing a "love"ly day for you all.

JB


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal So happy you got to Paris and enjoyed it so much! I have not checked in for ages I'm afraid but will do an update on my thread now. I hope you are doing well ~ remember to care for yourself through the tax season as well! Carrie xo
 
@beach gal...Hi and welcome back! I was so happy to wake up and see that you had had posted! Glad you had a wonderful, fun, (and safe) trip. It must of felt great to accomplish something you planned so long for and looked forward to doing. Normal life is so wonderful!

As for me, like you, I'm not perfect yet, but getting closer one inch at a time. I still can't completely get dressed without putting on a comedy show but I CAN do it. Didn't know I was such a contortionist....

Glad to hear your hubby is getting along well too. When they are well and happy, we are well and happy.

Hope the next couple of months won't be too stressful. I can Imagine how hectic it will be. Hope you can squeeze in some time to exercise. Walking, my stationary bike, and stretching has been the miracle combo for me. Glad to hear from you and hope you'll get a chance to check in and keep us up to speed on how you are doing. I love hearing good news!





Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!
 
I went to the gym this afternoon with DB for the first time in months. I rode the stationary bike, did a few minutes on the recumbent walker, mostly did some stretches and exercises I could have done at home but it felt like I was doing "more" because I was in a health club. Stupid, I know.

Maybe this will be the start of a more balanced exercise routine even though I'm so busy at the office now. I think that's one reason this feels so important. That, and the fact that I read where the ROM you achieve in the first year after surgery is critical. I'm into my seventh month and I've got a way to go.

Baby steps.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Love your Paris photo's!!
I am planning to go everywhere and anywhere in 2015- 2016 - planning from my arm chair!
Where are you planning next?
Karen X
 
That, and the fact that I read where the ROM you achieve in the first year after surgery is critical.
In my experience this isn't necessarily true. I continue to work on the ROM in my left hip (replaced in 2010) as things are much easier since my RTHR last year. Sounds like a good plan for developing your fitness levels though!
 
@Jaycey! Hey! Glad to hear that ROM can increase even after a year. I'm consistently working on getting back to pre-op flexibility but doubt that I'll ever be where I was before hip pain. Seriously, though, that was a decade ago and the ravages of time would have limited it a bit so I'll be thrilled with what I can gain.

Our next adventure is surviving tax season! So far, so good. I get tired in the late afternoon so I've sent a few borderline clients packing to give me more time to rest and/or hit the gym.

@copsham, we have all the plans in place for the Kentucky Derby in early May. My nephew and his wife asked us to go after last year's event so we're off!

45th high school class reunion (yes, just turned 62!!) in late June. I've headed up the committee to find all our classmates, a job that began in Oct, 2013, and we are only missing 25 now. With a class of almost 260, 33 who have died, we only had a starting list of 40 names and addresses that was quite old. It's been a wonderful journey and I've enjoyed the process much more than I thought. Blessings appear quite unexpectedly.

In August, we will meet MN friends in Budapest to river cruise to Amsterdam. This trip is my biggest motivation to getting back in shape. We will be gone for three weeks and have full days planned the entire time. It should be lovely and we are both excited as is our dog sitter!

Another nephew and his wife announced on Valentine's Day that they are pregnant with their first baby in September so I'll be hosting a big shower for them before our trip. Another blessing for our family and we continue to give God thanks.

There isn't a day, still, that I wake up when I don't thank God for my THR and the life it restored for me and David. And everyone I love. Please, if you are reading my gibberish, of everything I've said, this is the most true. It has changed my life. Simple joy. Pure ecstasy to be without that horrid old pain. I'm not old but I'm no kid. I'll have a tweak here and a twitch there but NOTHING like the previous four years. I was scared as could be to even think about THR but cannot imagine how limited my life would be now without it. Go for it. Do your homework. Get prepared. Know what to expect. Then sit back and let your body amaze you at how it wants to be well.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgirl,
A heart warming message! You are 6 months ahead of me. I hope I will be as vibrant as you in 6 months time!
Enjoy!
Karen
 
Just wanted to ask of anyone uses a hot tub for stretching therapy? I have not had my surgery yet but just got out of a hot tub(normally don't like them) but boy am I in less pain and more flexible.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
There isn't a day, still, that I wake up when I don't thank God for my THR and the life it restored for me and David. And everyone I love. Please, if you are reading my gibberish, of everything I've said, this is the most true. It has changed my life. Simple joy. Pure ecstasy to be without that horrid old pain. I'm not old but I'm no kid. I'll have a tweak here and a twitch there but NOTHING like the previous four years. I was scared as could be to even think about THR but cannot imagine how limited my life would be now without it. Go for it. Do your homework. Get prepared. Know what to expect. Then sit back and let your body amaze you at how it wants to be well.

Yup, get out that frying pan . . . I am resolving to do whatever it takes to be able to say the same :goodpost:about this back stuff. I put up with hip pain for so so long. I want this over, too :tantrum2:. I just really hope I am not :headbang:.

You look so happy in Paris . . . and Amsterdam this year . . . :heehee: ha, I did surgery maybe I can get on a plane!

@catdemar I committed last January to be in the best physical shape possible for this surgery thing --- I started swimming about 30-45 minutes, stretching in hot tub (yes, good feeling), and lost lots of weight. I heard so many times in the past months, from my surgeon, physical therapists, nurses, etc., that I was super easy wonderful to do surgery on. Flexible, toned women "our age" are apparently the surgeon's dream patient. I really feel the stamina and flexibility helped make my recovery super-easy. Most important for me, gaining control of that part of my life helped me feel that I was in control of this surgery thing that was not just going to "happen to me." I became a very active part of the "team" I picked so therefore I could maintain control. :thumb: April 8 will come soon, you will learn patience, but you will be sitting criss-cross, you will ride bikes with your son this summer! Read and re-read beachgal's message above. :wow:
 
~waving to the gang~

@catdemar I had my THR last August. I started yoga about a year before. The arm strength I gained was great for repositioning myself in bed the first few days and managing walking aids in the weeks after. The breathing techniques helped to calm me before and keep my lungs clear post op. I was back at it within 3 months. I go three times a week. Just this week I went to my first kickboxing class. You'll be delighted with the results!
 
@muckingabout is a kickass sort of gal, though!! So proud of what you've accomplished and your great attitude!! Still planning our trip abroad!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello,
I an due to have bilateral hip replacement on April 8th both on the same day. I really want to be able to sit on the floor again cross leg. I am 50 and used to ski, run, hike, but has been several years since I could due to much pain. I then got lazy because the pain exhausted me. I'm very nervous about the surgery, but my young son (9) wants to ride a bike with his mom. So I guess I'm ready .
I think I will try to take yoga when I'm ready for pt. I just need to find the time. Work and travel keeps me super busy and due to pain don't sleep much so don't like to get up early to fit it in.
Do any of you think yoga befor the surgery will help? Or should I just wait until after? Do you know if I am hurting anything or damaging anything if I workout too much before surgery? I want to start going to the gym to get in good shape for surgery but don't want to make things worst..heard you can make surgery harder the more ware you have on the joint?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

hi @catdemar -
i had BLTHR 7/3/14 and couldn't be happier -
i stand straighter, (people think i lost weight), my knees rarely bother me now (they hurt before the hip surgery - tore both ACLs skiing 30+ years ago - no reconstruction because at the time it was not routine and i'm very stable now - wear townsend knee braces when playing sports), hips don't hurt at all, back spasms are virtually gone, i'm a new man . . . :) -

yoga can't hurt before surgery, you'll be limited (by ability and precautions, as you know) after surgery -
in regard to exercise, i doubt that you could put any more wear on your hips in 1&1/2 months -
i am just now regaining the flexibility to sit more comfortably cross legged - it takes patience and exercise every day - but the results have been fantastic -
the new hip alignment required all my soft tissues (muscles, connective tissue) to acclimate - that takes time -
i do a variety of modified yoga positions and stretches daily
riding a bike was impossible before surgery, now it's effortless -
looking forward to trying to get back to tennis in the spring -

prepare your home and your raised lounge chair before going to the hospital -
get a walker and practice putting weight on your arms, this may help with using the walker in the first 2 weeks when you're home -
by 6 weeks you'll be feeling great - and then it just keeps getting better -
for more info, read through my thread ("the journey begins") - written with people like you in mind -
good luck -
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Love the pic of your sweet dog Banjo ..?
Glad Paris was nice!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@beachgal, is it snowing in south miss today, holy cow! Aint it great to be able to walk again. Just checking in to say 'hi', wishing you the best...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom