Guest viewing is limited

THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you're doing great. Tub bath and dog walks sound wonderful. I can't take mine for a walk he would be the one walking me.lol. I can only hope i' doing as well as you at this point.I'm only at week 4 so I've got a ways to go. Continued healing to you.
dan
 
@beachgal
Sorry but I have had the flu the last couple of days.....Just saw your pic from the wedding. My you are smokin my friend and those shoes rock!

Cheryl
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@beachgal

Oh I am now living vicariously through you.! I am dying to have a great soak in my tub! I have my 6 week checkup on Friday and that is the first question on my list. I have no problem getting in and out the f the tub, I just want to have the scar checked out for clearance. I am also wanting that clearance so that I can get back to the pool asap.

Cheryl
 
@dubld1, I remember exactly how I felt at week four....like this was as good as it would ever get....and that would have been ok....except it just KEEPS GETTING BETTER!!! You will be hanging onto your dog in no time...seriously, I cannot believe how this surgery has changed my life! Remember, be slow and deliberate in your movements. Keep on resting, icing, elevating, and taking pain meds as you need them. This recovery is not for weanies...but you can do this!!! :happydance:
 
@CanukTriMom, you are too sweet with the smoking comments....been a long time since I was called "smokin'", but hubby sure thought so Saturday night! :heehee: We really had the BEST time last weekend, from start to finish!

I was nervous about the tub. No doubt. I practiced it on the floor in the livingroom for weeks when no one was around. I had three or four back-up plans, just in case the first one didn't work. It did. My incision was fine at six weeks for swimming or a tub bath but my restrictions would allow it. I behaved per doctor's orders and have been rewarded for my patience and persistence. You'll probably be released at your six week's check-up but just remember to "overplan" like I did...haha, but really, it gives you confidence that you can successfully handle bath time. :yay: With your anterior approach, you haven't had the limits that I have (posterior) but I needed them. I wasn't ready for a tub bath any earlier. You know me, I'll tackle whatever but only when I feel confident and not if I feel like I'm jeopardizing my recovery. We've all come too far to screw up now!!!:rotfl:
 
Gosh you put a lot of thought into getting out of the bath @beachgal. I think I just took a leap of faith that I could do it! Possibly not the best approach.

I did get a bit cross at a hotel Last weekend as it had no grab rail in the bath or handles on the bath or any anti slip things on the actual bath. It was a high bath and the shower was in it. It's a posh hotel and I was surprised and gave them my health and safety speech. I think they thought I was cracked. But it wasn't safe....I feel duty bound to stand up for all hippies or hippies in waiting!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
You did the right thing @NoraJ on identifying the shortcomings. Perhaps the hotel hadn't considered them and maybe now they will?
@beachgal I appreciate all the planning you are doing, and taking great care of your new hip. Bravo!
 
Funny how situations present themselves and we have an opportunity to help. I was going into Walmart today (my semi-annual shopping adventure) and noticed an older lady with a cane holding onto a cart. I asked her if she needed to sit down but she said someone was getting her a motorized cart. She told me she was scheduled to have her hip replaced ..... Yada, yada, yada, and two hours later I finished up my shopping and went back to work. I only chatted with her for 20 minutes but she was obviously relieved somewhat after we spoke. You never know who The Lord will place in your path. Just need to do good. Pass along hope. But I still hate Walmart.

Walked in our nearby park this afternoon. It was my first real excursion alone on uneven surfaces. It was a challenge! From unlevel ground to boardwalks to cracked sidewalks, I meandered for 1/2 hr. I was starting to limp when I quit. Bad girl limping. The Lord is keeping this cocky broad in check. Doesn't take much. I pay attention to everything now. :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
When hubby got home from fishing Tuesday, we brought the bags of filets inside to the fridge but left the ice chest in his SUV. Wednesday morning, I was putting Banjo's blanket in the back seat and spotted it so I lifted it out of the car and dumped the ice so it could dry out. Hubby went ballistic!! This was after I'd had my tub bath alone and done a few other chores that I couldn't do pre-op. So now he's worried that I'll try something else when he's gone. Ugh.

Then the lamp bulb on our projection TV went out so I'd ordered a replacement which arrived at the office today. He was leaving work to walk the bridge at Ocean Springs and threatened me NOT to try and lift the TV!! I'm ROFL.

Stupid, I ain't. Still.....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
We have no secrets. We tell each other everything.....old Carly Simon song. So 2nd tub bath before hubby gets home!
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal you are very lucky to have a partner who is looking out for you! Relish it my friend!
 
This is probably a good time to introduce my version of "the talk". There was a point in my recovery when I realized that I'm all I have. Truly. In the most basic sense. I share my life with hubby and dog but one day Banjo will die and perhaps I'll have to bury my hubby, so, in a very real way, I'm all I have. As long as I have breath, I'll have me and my new hip. :egypdance:

So, it's in MY best interest to rehab and rehabilitate in the most effective and efficient way possible, allowing for restraints along this journey. You guys have followed me as I showered for the first time, figured out shaving (not) my legs, driving my car, how much PT to do when, tying my shoe laces, cooking my first meal, walking without my cane, getting my first tub bath, and so many other everyday life things that others take for granted.
:cheers:

I'm doing it so that I can have a better quality of life, a better life to share with hubby and dog, and certainly, be more independent in my later years. So I really do have a vested interest in making this recovery the very best it can be. Once I really made hubby understand that all my "adventures" are calculated and carefully planned, executed with the utmost care, and that I am not being overzealous, I think he's beginning to make peace with allowing me some leeway to experiment. Having said that, I have to promise not to try anything foolish or unnecessary. There is a delicate balance between being independent and being stupid. I'm not stupid. I want this hip to carry me through until my last day on earth. :ok:

So we had "the talk". He just rolled his eyes but I think he gets it. :heehee:
 
I am so hearing you @beachgal As it happens hubby and I had our version of "the talk: last night. I know he's worried for me because he loves me, I know that he doesn't want to see me injured or damaged, but I pointed out to him (as you did yours) I'm not stupid. I'm keen to progress in my recovery, but I am not about to take risks that put me back to the beginning! Of course I'm not happy to NOT bend for 12 weeks, I'm dying to lay on my side and let's not even go to the driving thing... but my OS pointed out that it's basically no skin off his nose if I dislocate my hip, from his point of view it's an easy fix, I'M the one that has to start the 12 weeks again! and I'm certainly not going to risk that. I think hubby realizes now too, that he can help me but that I am an adult that needs help, not a child that needs direction
I'm thinking of my recovery in two stages; the first six weeks where ALL the restrictions are in place, and the second six weeks where the most onerous are lifted (I will be able to drive, I can sleep on my side with a pillow... they're the two "biggies" and a couple of others)
I have decided I am going to try things I'm confident to try... and if I lose that confidence somewhere in the process I'll leave trying them again for a few days, or until I think of another way... your "overplan" theory:heehee:
I'm sure I'm not allowed a bath yet, or to sit on the ground... I don't know why I'm "sure", I don't remember being told anything about it. I showered on Day 1 and was so grateful to be able to I didn't even think to ask about a bath. :bath: Seeing your lovely painted toenails has made me think I might like a bath, and that I definitely need to go and have a pedicure:rotfl: Might just go and do that now!
As you said, there is a certain selfishness in our recoveries; we want to feel better for ourselves, the icing on hte cake is that it gives us the freedom to share more fully in the lives of those around us. I am so looking forward to playing on the floor with my grandkids (the twins, born last year... the grandkids we thought we would never have!) and my darling little dog will certainly benefit when I can go for a good long walk at a reasonable pace.. maybe then our "friends" can stop pointing out every time they see him that he's a little portly :dogwalk:
 
Ok. Asheville, NC. After twelve hours in the car, I'm officially in heaven. W
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, that looks so inviting. So how was 12 hours in the car? I can't even go direct to New Zealand because it's six hours straight. We go via Melbourne (3hrs) have a day there (shop shop shop) then to NZ (3hrs) Perhaps it's because I'm easily...squirrel
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom