@beachgal I get you - it's a much bigger process than just the surgical side of things. Maybe try a little walk at lunch time to get loosened up. Even 10 minutes might get you more comfortable than all the up/down type movements that are common in an office.
@beachgirl and @Carriemay60 I too have spent some time thinking why my recovery seemed such a challenge. I know I mentioned it on other threads but this experience feels like it stole so much of me and my sense of self. It's not only the physical limitations but also how I perceive myself. Last night I had the ball I've been looking forward too... I was up and down a lot sorting out things, being involved in presentations etc. That went fine but I couldn't face dancing. The dance floor was too packed and I was nervous. It made me feel sad and robbed.... I was thinking on the way home today I still have so many feelings of loss and sadness tied up in the experiences of the past year. I am hopeful I will feel more able as time goes on but it's a very different journey to the one I thought I would be on 18 months ago. I want the old me back too....
So my deal with myself today is to go for a stroll by the local river and start being a bit more proactive in getting stronger. Like you @beachgirl I need to think of ways to move about a bit more during the day.. but one day at a time.
@NoraJ I am so sorry you didn't get up dancing but I can certainly understand why you passed. It is all the people around me that make me nervous if I am on crutches or the walker. I am sure you looked lovely and hope you enjoyed the outing if nothing else. Getting dressed up can be good for the soul if nothing else. I decided early on in this whole chain of events that I have to make a conscious effort to face each day with a fresh smile and if I only have small things to look forward to in the day, I make them important small things. I guess because of the people I work with I have been wary of depression and keeping tabs on myself.
I am hopeful that the bit of sun we are seeing this morning will hold up to include a nice walk for us in the park this afternoon. I may even take my walker to see how far I can go before retreating to the wheelchair.
Hi @NoraJ - You are still recovering. it could take up to a year or so. What was your biggest fear for not getting on the dance floor, even if it was crowded, were you afraid of a fall? Are you having balance issues and/or strength issues? Was it maybe you were afraid someone would push up against the scar? Maybe if you pinpoint your fear, you can specifically work on overcoming it.
They are lovely. I got out for a walk and walked over a mile with little discomfort. It is a lovely bright day... This is a photo of my village where there is a lovely river walk.
Thanks @toohip. I think my fear was I would fall... and my balance and reaction time isn't as good as it was. My scar is fine. The incision was never very sore. But I think it's just about feeling stronger and able...
@NoraJ@beachgal@toohip Thank you Beachy, those are lovely! Nora, I can almost smell what it would have been like there this afternoon as I am sure it is quite similar to Wales and England It does look like a very nice day!
TooHip, I think it is the feeling of vulnerability. I think I anticipate my every move to 95% and likely anticipate of others in my peripheral vision to about 70%. Of course, my goal on both counts is 100% due to fear but that is not achievable I agree, we have to tunnel in on fears of every level and deal with them individually. I have trying to do this since my 2nd fall and it's darn hard work. If someone is there to cocoon me, it is just so much easier than facing the fear head on. I faced a new one the other day - wet leaves being slippery. We have a 100 year old maple in our front yard, yikes!
So can empathise with all your postings girls!! Feeling sad & 'robbed' of life during pre op painful years....I thought my 'Joie de Vivre' had left me for good.....but....it's back now..it's taken a full 12 months of post op recovery...and yes...worrying about going into crowded places...just in case (of what I could never fathom)! was ever present.
You will all get back to your former selves plus you have a pain free hip....it's coming....honestly! Xx
Hi, gals, @toohip, @Carriemay60, @NoraJ, @Me2, @muckingabout! I wanted to share with you a big step forward I experienced yesterday. No others will think it's "big" but y'all, since you know what it takes to try something new with a rehabbing hip...
All of our Halloween decorations are stored in a room that is three steps on a ladder higher than our floor. It's actually more like a walk-in closet but I have to climb to get in there. Hubby has asked me several times if I wanted him to retrieve the plastic bins for me but I was pretty determined that if I couldn't manage to get up in there, I would not decorate this year. So, with his knowledge and him standing by for support, I climbed up the ladder and moved around enough to get the boxes handed off to hubby while I was sobbing!!! OMG!!! He didn't know if I was crying because I was hurt or because I was so happy that I conquered my fear of climbing into that storage area!! I had to straighten up pretty quickly since he was on the verge but you all can imagine how wonderful it was!! I even teared up a bit while I was placing all my cute witches and haunted houses around the livingroom. Of course, it took me the rest of the afternoon to recover once I finished decorating and I was sore in places not yet exercised, but all in a good way.
We went out for pizza and beer after a nap and I was smiling.
@NoraJ, the picture of where you walk takes my breath away. I've looked at it several times today and I cannot believe how absolutely gorgeous it is!
We were in Ireland in 2011 with some friends, touring around and I just felt like I'd come home. What lovely, welcoming folks we encountered. I'd move there in a heartbeat but have to winter here on the coast. You're lucky!
Oh @beachgal... I like where I live and I sometimes forget although I can't see the river (unless it's flooded and then it's scary) it's only a few fields away.
I am quite patriotic and love my little country but I love travelling too and have been to the States many times and had great holidays there too! One of my closest friends is from Chicago and when I visit I get treated wonderfully by everyone. Whilst Ireland is damp I can still remember the cold in Chicago one December I was there and I couldn't cope... it seldom gets very cold here. That said I'd happily migrate to your neck of the woods for the winter...I'm sure my hips and knees would be grateful!
Can't do yoga yet. I've been walking every other day and doing my PT exercises everyday. It's so hard when I'm whipped out from work. Low energy level lately but I'm not resting at all during the day. I die at night. Haha
@beachgal, my yoga is still very modified. I'm not cleared for any twisting yet.
Funny thing about sleep. I'm getting what should be enough hours, and I'm not walking up during the night, but I'm not as rested as I could be. I have trouble getting up in the morning and I'm sleeping in on the weekends.
@muckingabout, I know exactly how you feel...especially these last two weeks, when I wake up in the mornings, I feel like I could roll over and sleep until noon! We've been very busy at work with the final 2013 tax return filing deadlines winding down today and I just figured that I'd been overdoing it a bit. That may be the reason but I even felt that way before the deadline got so near. Occasionally I'll take 1/2 Xanax to keep me from waking up in the middle of the night which helps but I still could sleep later. Maybe it's the time change coming at the end of the month? Regardless, I'd love to wake up feeling rested.
I talked with my yoga instructor and I'm just not confident in participating in my class again now. I'm not intimidated by the other participants and know they understand about THR and it's restrictions but I'm hesitant, still. I guess that's another hurdle I'll celebrate crossing one day.
I'm planning to walk at the gym this afternoon before I head home, just a mile or so. We have dinner guests tonight and tomorrow night but I've got easy meals planned and mostly ready for the oven so I can relax and enjoy a glass of wine with them. So, my walking depends on how my energy level is, knowing that we have a bit of entertaining to do over the next few days. I still want to try!
@beachgal@muckingabout I can relate to much of what you guys report. Including the sleep, I get to sleep okay, but do not always wake feeling as rested as I would expect. We are all pretty close within a week or so of each other with myself being in the middle of surgery dates. Not sure I would attempt Yoga anytime soon, so good job @muckingabout. I will get an update posted on my own thread soon, but really happy to hear of everyone doing well and progress with healing. @Carriemay60 and @NoraJ included too, I need to read up on everyone's progress! Darn this work and return to 'normalcy'! Where did all my spare time go?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.