Guest viewing is limited

THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You look fantastic @beachgal ! What a lovely dress and shoes ! And you're such a cute couple with your hubby...nobody would ever think there's a bionic hip hiding under that nice dress hehe![emoji6]
 
@beachgal , love the pic of you and hubby. Well done on the heels! Any aches and pains after wearing them? You are living proof there is life after THR!
 
@beachgal You look lovely & happy! I can certainly see now why you were sticking to your guns to wear that dress. Very happy for you that you had such a good time :)
 
You and hubby look great! Obviously very happy and having fun. Life as is should be.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Happy Monday, everyone, @GabsJL, @Carriemay60, @Jaycey, @Rhonda K, @muckingabout, @grnplatebrd, @NoraJ, and all, what a beautiful day in south MS!

Hitting the high points from the weekend and today. Update timeline, I was 12 weeks Friday.

Drove/rode 7 hours north for a wedding weekend. We stopped about every 100 miles and I walked/stretched a bit. Kept my hip in fine shape. Not a single problem with the traveling.

Wedding was the son of my BFF from high school. Location was near my nephew and his wife just south of Memphis so we spent the weekend with them. We had a great steak dinner at a local restaurant, lots of gabbing ...he's an internal auditor in Memphis but played pro-baseball(catcher) for the MN Twins prior to tearing up his knee....:groan:so he was most interested in my hip, rehab, etc. He's hoping to get a few more years before having more surgery but I don't think he's quite as apprehensive after talking with me!

Saturday we watched some football at a local sports bar, ate some pub grub, @NoraJ, I had two pints of Guinness! I toasted you...nephew matched me with his two! We left the guys for a couple of hours and shopped a bit, kept up with my adorable niece while she ran me all over the mall! Back to their home to dress for wedding and we left around 4 p.m. for the 5:30 ceremony.

Wedding was a beautiful, southern affair...lovely bride and groom who were choked up at speaking their vows to each other, lovely music, and a happy crowd gathered to help them celebrate. Reception was at an old warehouse that had been converted to a "special events" place and it was perfect! Lots of pumpkins and mums for decorations, great food and bar set up, band was rocking before we arrived, just a very happy occasion. Dress and heels were perfect! Not one issue with doing a bit of dancing and I didn't sit down once while we were there! :martini:

If you've followed my pre-op thread at all, you may recall my contacting a hand OS with the group I used for my THR for advice about which doctor to use...he had three THR on the same hip and the successful one was with the OS I eventually chose. He was at the reception! But, get this...he's having more trouble with this hip again...and I listened to him telling a group of us about his "minor" hip pain and he's spending hours every few days on the golf course and running 5 miles every day...not taking care to rehab his hip at all...I just rolled my eyes and thought "this THR was wasted on him if he's not going to follow restrictions as our OS advises"...WHAT AN IDIOT!!! OMG!!!:swoon:

The rest of the weekend was fabulous, a long drive back home yesterday, chores to do, and I forgot to take any Tylenol until bedtime...:happydance: so I must not have needed it! I'm so happy!!!

So, I get to work this morning with a punchlist of a million things and started to sit in my computer chair but it didn't feel quite right. I took the pillow from the seat and now it's just like before surgery! Just right! :yes!: I'm getting a mani/pedi this afternoon and hubby is leaving later today for an overnight fishing trip with his brothers so I'll have "alone" time tonight and all day tomorrow! Should I try to get a soaking bath with no one there???
OMG! That sounds like heaven!! :yahoo: We'll see...

I don't think my feet will touch the ground today. :giggle:
 
Wow! You must be on top of the world right now! Sounds like your weekend couldn't have turned out better. So happy for you!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal I am so happy for you that you had such a wonderful time! It must have felt so nice to really dress up and strut your stuff and your new hip :) You really did look fabulous!
 
@Carriemay60, the water is filling up the bathtub. I'll post again in an hour after I get finished with my delicious soak! (Assuming I can get out of tub with no help...haha)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great update @beachgal - wonderful to get back into a normal routine. You look amazing in your dress for the wedding. I am very happy for you!
 
Out of the tub!!!! OMG!!! Three months since a tub bath and I'm in heaven! With hubby away for the night, it was both the perfect time and the scariest time to try this!! I'm riding my recent wave of little victories and had it all covered. Four bath towels at edge of tub. Three wash cloths. Razor and shaving cream in case I was successful and could shave my legs without shaking.

Getting in was easy. Like getting down on the floor gently. But I do not have grab bars by tub or anything short of my arm strength to pull me out. No worry. Once I got in, it was like old times. My old hip pain had taught me how to navigate the tub with caution so I basically knew I could get out the old way but I was very methodical and planned every shift in position. I used wash cloth on bottom of tub for traction and dried my hands to grip sides of tub. One knee on bottom. Other knee. Lift to feet and climbed over edge. It's a Jacuzzi so deep and long. No problem for this new hip to handle!!!!
I WIN!!!

So, hubby just called to let me know they arrived at fishing camp safely and I mentioned getting a bath in passing. He's just gabbing away and stops in mid - sentence and says "Bath??" I'm still laughing. So happy!!

Wonder what I'll ask Santa for this Christmas since all my wishes have come true???

Wishing for all on BS to feel this way very soon. My holiday dream.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You looked beautiful and give us newbies hope that there is life beyond pajamas and baggy sweats or pants. I am so glad your weekend was great and I am jealous of the bath. I love taking baths. So happy for you and all went well!!!
 
@beachgal What a terrific pic of you and your hubby at the wedding! You both are beaming.....
I also like your Halloween decor that you set out. Yay for getting it out of storage.

Congrats on getting the long soak in the tub, and being brave enough to do it alone. :wowspring:
You are doing amazing!!!!!
 
The bath sounds fab... It is one of life's simple pleasures.

The pic of you and your husband is lovely. You look glam and elegant. I'm so glad you enjoyed the trip and the wedding!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Beautiful picture @beachgal....you look very glamorous & happy. OMG you got in the bath on your own....& more to the point..out of it on your own!! I'm well jealous now! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal you are a brave lady trying the bath while alone. But a gal has to do what she has to do - right? It's those little victories that mean so much! Well done!
 
@beachgal Way to go on enjoying your tubby time! I am curious how the sitting on a hard surface felt? Not really sure I could do that part yet but luckily I am not a bath fiend. Having said that a hot soak must have felt so incredibly good! :bath:
 
Prefacing my "tub time" by saying that I've been plotting and planning this for weeks. About two weeks ago, I sort of rolled off the couch onto the floor to try and sit near Banjo. No problem getting down there. No problem with my legs straight out in front of me--still 90 restriction minded. I would rock back and forth from side to side slowly to reach his belly to scratch him or pet him so it was great for both of us! Getting up was my biggest challenge so I've been practicing a few methods, some of which broke 90 restriction, but I feel like my OS will lift that when I see him on Nov. 10. I'm actually headed toward my 13th week now, so at three months out, I just felt like it was time to do a bit of experimenting. Nothing drastic...:rolleyes:

I've learned how to get up from the floor by rolling over onto my stomach and coming up on my non-op knee first then bringing up my op knee and holding onto a sturdy table or such and pulling up. I've also risen from that same position in the yoga move called "downward-facing dog" where you plant your toes firmly and walk your hands toward your feet, forming an upside-down "V" shape. I've done it enough that I can actually rest the palms of both hands flat on the floor at my feet when I'm upright but I haven't tried to do it from just standing and touching the floor. So, I've been getting used to the hard floor/surfaces, and the tub was no different. :tada:

I sort of crawled over the side of the tub while I was on all fours, putting my op leg/arm side in first. Rested on my knee and hand in the tub and brought my non-op leg/arm in next and turned over like I do in bed. Then I was seated in the tub. After I was totally shriveled, I placed my wet washcloth in the bottom of the tub and put my non-op foot on it for traction, dried off both hands, and gripped the sides of the tub which was also dry, then brought my op foot onto the washcloth and stood up. It really wasn't too hard although my lame description makes it sound difficult. Before my THR, I would brace my good foot against the "bad" side of the tub and lift my body up with my arms to get out, so that would have been my back-up plan but this way worked without having to do much midline crossing. I'll keep working on perfecting it but, as you can imagine, the more you do it, the easier it becomes. :friends:

With hubby away fishing, I had to walk Banjo this morning in the park alone. First time since before THR. Remember, though, that he's a trained therapy dog so he knows how to behave and listens to my commands very well. We walked all the way around our old route with zero hip pain for me and frequent stops for him and I had to touch up my eye makeup once at the office from the tears running down my face. Perfect weather, perfect morning, just overwhelmed... :egypdance:

That's all. :curtsey:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom