THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MajorHeidi, we rebooked our flights that we had to cancel for my THR in August. We had planned the trip to celebrate our 20th anniversary but I think we'll both have more fun now that my recovery is underway. We LOVE Paris! I always say that when "my time comes" I want to die from eating too much chocolate and drinking too much wine on the Seine!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal that's still far away but definitely keep me posted on your definite plans. It would be fun to meet up and show off our hips hehe !
 
@beachgal Scary moment, but really glad that there were no ill effects. My wife is paranoid of just that kind of scenario...but our dog is not exactly chasing snakes anymore. Great to hear about your trip, truly a well timed gift to yourself and husband. Enjoy your weekend and I expect that this time of year has some very nice weather in your part of the world.
 
@grnplatebrd, it's beautiful here year-round but our Indian summers are awesome. Dog and I are having morning coffee on deck and the temps are upper 60s with lower humidity. I spent yesterday afternoon working on the deck furniture, polishing it and changing out cushions while hubby began trimming shrubs that had been overlooked during year before hip surgery. Seems now I'm realizing just how much of our lives had been abandoned because of my pain. I think I'm the engine that gets things moving around here so everywhere I look there are chores to do! It's a happy man back at it again as his helper (me) is eager to work along side him.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Nine weeks post-op. I'm starting to have small blocks of time each day now when I feel normal. I think it's more mental than physical since there are still lots of things I can't do but those things are not influencing what I think about anymore. Pre-op, I wouldn't try to meet friends for a long lunch or tackle grocery shopping for more than just to pick up the essentials and then I would spend the rest of the day suffering. Now, I can do both of those things, and more, and not miss a beat. Oh, I may pop my Tylenol at days end but I still DID IT!

I've been working out some at the gym, riding the bike and walking the treadmill. It's fun to see our old buddies there who tease hubby about trying to keep up with me now with my bionic hip! He's so pleased, I can see.

I am so grateful for this change in my life. I'm equally grateful that I found all of you to commiserate with along this journey. I know it's not over for all of us and we never know what's ahead but I'll be as faithful a friend to y'all as you have been to me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal I really get how there is a realization of just how much has been left undone with things around the house! I had a cleaning lady who seemed great, kept the house organized for me as well as clean but she vanished over the summer and I have not managed to replace her yet. Hubby is great, but doesn't do or have time to do it all. The house looks cluttered and disorganized. It must be so nice for you to be at the stage of being able to putz around getting things done and sorted! If you are having times during the day when you feel normal, that is wonderful - I hope those blocks of time continue to become longer and longer for you!
 
@Carriemay60, I was sort of a neat freak before hip issues so watching our home fall into neglect was tough but , physically, I couldn't do the chores and, mentally, I didn't care. Really! I chuckled this morning as Banjo and I went outside for our coffee time, the spigot covers from LAST WINTER were still on the spigot! OMG! I've lost a whole year to feeling bad!! I hope all that is behind me. Now I just have to be deliberate in my actions and movements and not overdo. Hard!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's wonderful to see so many newbies coming to the recovery side of THR! I'm trying to follow them but not doing a very good job. I hope everyone is having success at rehab and feeling a bit better every day. I'm almost touching the floor with my palms now and can't quite believe that it's been almost 10 weeks since I was a newbie. It is life-changing.
 
YIKES! Ok, I just got back from my cosmetic Botox injections!!! I'll let you know if I croak. :shocked:

Cute comment from my dermatologist...she was preparing me for the first little prick and she said, "Now this will hurt a bit..." after I'd shared with her about THR, and then she caught herself and we both just cracked up! :rotfl:
 
Hey gals, just checking in, at three months postop. I continue to be super stiff, and any walk longer than a mile sets me back. We walked the Barrett Jackson Car Auction in Vegas on Friday, and I thought I could do it without my cane....umm, wrong. Where are people on using their cane? My ankle swelling continues too.
 
@LoyalD, at the risk of making you mad, my cane has been in the trunk of my car since Labor Day.

I'd love to walk through that Vegas auction venue, though, so we're even.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
OMG! I've lost a whole year to feeling bad!! I hope all that is behind me.

:sneaker: Reading through some threads making sure I'm ready for this round 2 of possibilities -- read the above post of your from a couple of days ago -- if you only lost a year to feeling bad, you are one of the lucky ones! I look back and realize that I've already lost 3-4 years to feeling bad. And, why again, do I question whether I'm ready to get rid of this worn out hip now rather than losing more time? Thank you . . . I needed that slap upside the head!
 
So tomorrow hubby and I are off to Watercolor, FL for a long weekend hosting my three amazing sisters and their extended families through Monday. We'll drop off Banjo at the dog sitter's in Daphne, AL on the way and he will be thrilled to see her! She loves spending time with him and I never worry about him when he's in her care. :dogwalk:

My fondest memories as a child were the days we spent at the beach. Our parents would take us "on vacation" for one week in the summer to Panama City, FL. I really thought that's what heaven must be like -- to run and play in beautiful water and sand, carefree days of my childhood that we all recall with so much love. When my six nieces and nephews got older and started going their separate ways, hubby and I decided to create a long weekend each year so that everyone could gather and spend a few carefree days "at the beach". Throughout the years, the nieces and nephews have married and had children of their own, and we've watched as those family relationships have grown, too. It's even more important to me this year as my three sisters, in particular, really took care of hubby and me after my surgery. Just a neat way to show our continued appreciation to them and to enjoy some "down time" together as a family.

:loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:swim: :hiking: :surfer: @beachgal You must be so excited! I am sure you will have a wonderful time with all of your family. Do be careful not to overdo it with walking in the sand.
 
Friday sunset at Seaside FL
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Looks fab! Beats the rain on this side of Atlantic!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
The skies as far north as Pittsburgh were so gorgeous last night -- that same awe-inspiring yellows and pinks -- I love your idea of pulling your families together for such a great weekend! Thank you for sharing!
 
Up early this morning at our beach house to see off the guys on their fishing charter. They are including my 8-yr old great nephew, Noah, in their day of fun. He was up very early, so excited to be going with the guys.

We girls will be heading to the beach and the pool later this morning although the temps here have turned autumn-like, it will be sunny and delicious. I've decided to stay away from the sand for now as I just don't want to tweak my hip. The sand is so soft and not easy to walk in with NO hip problems! We'll see. I may change my mind later!

Everyone is treating me so delicately and trying to keep me from overdoing it. Even so, I'm ready to crash at bedtime!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom