Guest viewing is limited

THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!


Happy first day of Autumn from the MS Gulf Coast!! This was my dream afternoon from my recliner eight weeks ago. Be encouraged!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CanukTriMom, in south Mississippi?? I'll go with you, though, to see NoraJ!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I need to make sure I am fully healed and back into training. Hey weird question but did anyone have a huge swollen leg on your operative side? My operative side is taking its sweet old time getting back to normal size. When I am not doing my exercises, I am elevating and icing. I swear it looks like there is a small land animal living in my glut and quad areas.
 
No swelling for me after the third day home. I lived on ice to keep it down. Are you drinking enough water? Don't make me get on my soapbox. :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Catching up. Phew, your thread can move fast. Quick reading, it looks like I mostly missed shoe conversations, phew. Not much I can contribute there. Great to see your great greeting of fall with a glass of wine though!

Not sure if this is helpful (or makes sense), but putting my own shoes/socks on I mostly sit on the edge of the bed, roll back onto my back. Let my surgical leg rotate outward...a bit like a frog, from that point I can reach my feet, put my shoes on and tie them. Always with my arms inside of my leg/knee to avoid accidentally pulling the wrong way and all rotation goes outward. Convenient? Nope. Attractive? Nope....but it gets my shoes on without help or worry. My OS said he wants me to default to arms inside of my legs as a habit. Even after I am fully recovered he said it is still a good habit. Happy Fall everyone
 
@beachgal Love the shoe on the right. Much more practical initially than the pretty one on the left.
Nice pic of your recliner view!
 
@beachgal

I drink a minimum 128 oz. a day. I also drink G2, a cup of coffee a day, and skim milk. Maybe I got the swelling instead of the bruising.....I have no bruising at all.

Cheryl
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I will just be happy when I can wear something besides the glamorous slipper socks. Lol


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CanukTriMom, that's strange! I didn't have any bruising or swelling except for a couple of bruises around my waist on side opposite op hip. I think it must have been where I was man-handled during surgery but they were gone in just a few days. Always thought water and icing would help either swelling or bruising since I did both faithfully. Are you exercising too much too early?? That may be the culprit.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Cheryl, I have some swelling too. Husband measured, lol, 2" larger right thigh. Guess it's normal for about 6 weeks, but hope not that long.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Rhonda K

Yes that is about the same as mine and the skin is hard not pliable. So for tonight I have decided to wear my ice machine pad to cover that art that is on the back of my thigh. As this is a new state of the implant from the clinical trial I am in for the next two years, I am keeping a journal of the symptoms I have and how I treated them. I get my 26 staples out on Friday , I am hoping that will send a nicer vibe to the skin as it is continuously trying to get rid of these foreign staples.
 
@CanukTriMoni I had some swelling but not much on upper thigh more down the leg and my ankle. My ankle are the only thin/skinny part of me so they then just looked normal sized. My leg was yellow for 3 to 4 weeks as the bruising drained and faded. Everyone is different. I drink loads of water as @beachgal recommends and ate watermelon, celery, cucumber to help with water retension. No doubt this too will pass.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@CanukTriMom, I know you are in good shape, physically, but are you noticing any muscle pain with your PT exercises? When you increase up the reps? I'm just wondering if doing them 3 times a day could be the culprit? It wouldn't seem like that would be an issue but I'm still finding that our bodies respond to every movement so differently. What was ok last week suddenly becomes not ok now. And vice versa. I cannot stress enough the fact that we all must listen to our bodies and give it what it needs -- more rest or more exercise -- whatever it may be. I have learned throughout this process that there is not a doctor on the planet who knows more about what's going on inside me than me. Just sayin.:shrug:
 
@beachgal

Well funny you should mention that issue of PT exercises. I woke up this morning very stiff but I don't feel any aches or pain when I do them. There are actually only 5 of them but same reps etc. none of them involves weights, rubber bands etc All the exercises uses the body's resistance. One of them : sit on bed with feet on floor and move legs up and down in marching sequence for 30 sec. I also do the ankle pumps for a minute. Those are followed by standing in athletic stand and knees slightly bent, then you move side to side with feet on floor...this allows for your new hip to feel what actual weight shifting from one side to another for 1 minute. Lastly, laying your back, the non op leg stretched flat raise your other leg with bent at the knee and pulling the knee as close to the chest and hold for 30 sec, 3 reps each. Oh yes there is one that I forgot, wherein you lay on your back, rolled towel under quad of op legfor elevation, keep the leg straighten and kick toward ceiling while clenching butt cheek for 15 repeats.
 
@CanukTriMom, the only exercise you are doing that I did are the ankle pumps. I think I marched my op leg standing in place for 20 reps, then moved to 30 reps at 4 weeks. No side-to-side movements at all. The leg raises I did laying flat on bed, non op leg bent at knee about a 45-degree angle, raised the op leg up just to meet the angle of the bent knee, not pulling into chest at all. Started with 10 reps, then 20, then 30, but it took me until week 5 to do the full 30 without stopping. No kicking toward ceiling exercise at all. I did do butt squeezes, thigh tightening, along with the ankle pumps while laying flat on bed. I also would lay flat on bed, bring my op leg to a knee bent position and slide it back flat on bed, started with 20 reps, then 30.

I did some abduction slides both laying flat in the bed and standing, about a 30-degree movement to the side on the op leg. I also did modified calf raises standing going up to tip toes and back down. Both of those I did 20 reps, then 30. I did baby squats, too, not going down too far, sort of like practicing to sit on a regular toilet. That's really how I prepared myself to lose the elevated toilet seat. All of the standing ones, I would hold onto the kitchen or bathroom counter for security. I think yours sound much more intense than mine. No wonder you're swelling. And you're doing them three times a day. Maybe too much too soon?
 
@beachgal your PT exercises sound pretty similar to what I have done. I expect there are slightly different exercises given to each of us depending on the surgeon..also I figure the approach would vary on what exercises happen right away. I believe you are posterior as well, but @CanukTriMom is anterior. I think each approach has different sensations that other approach might not feel as much, that is at least what I gather from a few stories. Different soft tissue is strained, so it makes sense why experiences vary. Beachgal, based on what you described, I do a routine that sounds pretty similar except maybe the reps. On average, most of each exercise I do 15 or 20 reps, and do 5 sets of them during the day. It sounds low on the reps, but as I get more stamina I will expect other activities will add more muscle back more efficiently than these given so far. Lately I have been splitting my stretches/exercises mostly in 2 sessions during the day, sometimes in one 1-1.5 hr session(approx). My exercise bike and stair work is usually on top of those times. Pardon the long description, I just thought I would relate a bit if it is helpful at all. Next I will be adding more reps to those that I already do, but realistically, I do not think I can add much more time to my routine and keep up with the rest of daily life. In the early weeks I had so much time, now it feels like that precious commodity again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@CanukTriMom I had quite a lot of swelling in the back of thigh/knee area. It was annoying because it interfered with my ability to bend my leg, but it eventually dissipated
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom