Guest viewing is limited

THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great update @beachgal . Nice to see so many trips scheduled. I think a busy life will be great therapy and reward for all of us. Besides, not much beats a good trip in my opinion. Glad to hear you continue to do well, but sorry to hear about the hip tweak. Yikes, but it seemed to be a small thing. I expect you will be able to swim or at least wade in the water while in FL, hope so.
 
:wowspring:@beachgal Wowzers!! You are really coming along great and taking your life back ~ Congratulations! All your trips sound like so much fun. I suspect you may be wise to rebook Paris as it will be a lot of walking and sitting in little cafes sipping red wine which can be very hard work!! :) I think what I really see in your update is that you are really in control now and at a point that you are sincerely enjoying life. I saw in another thread that you have cut back on work which I was happy to hear. If anyone has that option available, I would certainly recommend it and glad you are going with it. Enjoy your day off tomorrow.

:snow dig: P.S. You best get going this year to make a toque for your trip to Canada; we don't let you in without one! lol
 
Productive day off but I'm a tired gal tonight. Loaded up car with fall mums for planters at house, shopped for boots but can't get them on by myself so bought sandals instead, headed 20 lbs of fresh shrimp for the freezer, walked the boardwalk with man and dog, made tacos for supper and watched the 6th episode of " The Roosevelt's" on PBS. No nap. No pain. Happy.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@toohip, what a scary article! Yikes!

So far I have gotten refund checks from overpaid doctors, out- patient surgery centers and radiologists totaling. $564. Not much but I would not have received a dime of it if I hadn't been tracking these bills and matching up what I had paid out of pocket. I contacted each of these places and asked for the refunds.

I've also gotten a new bill from another anesthesia clinic in Jackson so I'll chase that down tomorrow. No ins was filed and that seems strange.

The going hourly rate for PT whether inhouse or at a facility seems to be. $200-220. Of course the ins co reprices it down to about $35-40 per hour which seems more realistic. All of my PT is covered by my ins co but I wanted to see the itemized bills. They came yesterday.

I got my itemized bill from the hospital, too. Six pages of everything imagineable. From gauze to Tylenol to a saw blade and screws to my prosthesis, it's something to behold. Again, I would urge you all to request this from your hospital. It will leave you speechless. Total cost was around. $41K. Repriced to $22K.
Room rate was $646, FYI.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It us quite scary...In Ireland we have about a 50/50 split public to private insurance. But it appears that there is a fixed price for a procedure. I only got a itemised bill for OS and anaesthetist. But the costs noted in that article are incredible. I don't fully understand the concept of in network etc but you would need to be in the fullness of your health to process your bills.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@beachgal @grnplatebrd@PuppyLove

Well when my DH and I were in the PreOp class, the nurse was excited to give to us their hot of the press "sex after hip replacement booklet". Mike and I were lookin at the various position when he starts to put
Stars by the ones he really liked and proceeds to turn to me and say " hey honey look at all the new positions you are approved to do after surgery that we didn't do before surgery..I Am really looking forward to your replacement". INSERT ROLLING EYES icon here on my face!


Just because we were the youngest in the room, Mike wondered if we were being profiled?

:rotfl::loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So I ordered a new pair of booties online and tried them on (with hubby's help) over the weekend and I can't wear them! They are about 2" wedges but it feels like I'm walking on stilts! OMG! Am I never going to be able to wear heels again?? I ordered two pairs of shoes online at lunch that are a bit shorter, hoping that one pair, at least, will allow me to walk without looking like a zombie....otherwise, I guess I'll stay in my flip flops for the wedding in October...ugh...:shrug:

I was able to put on my socks and shoes Sunday morning for our harbor walk without help and without pain. So I guess I just tried to do it a bit too soon last week. I'm walking a bit further each time but still not up to a mile yet although it seems like I walk to Egypt every day at the office. I really want to be able to walk for at least two miles by the end of the year so I guess I better start increasing up my distance a bit more. I feel like I've reached a plateau at times, now, at a little over 8 weeks, but I recall others feeling that way, so I'm not discouraged. I think it's more a case of conquering all the "big things" and now the "little things" are working themselves out without much fanfare. I still haven't been able to sit in the bathtub...when does THAT happen? I still struggle with shaving my legs although it's better. I've experimented with sleeping on my op side at night and on my stomach, and the stomach is better if I lay flat and not twist, but the op side is still a bit tender. Just observations.:tada:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@beachgal I just read somewhere about sitting in a bathtub and I seem to remember it said 6 months! I imagine that sounds like forever to most people but I can't even dream about sitting on a hard surface yet. Don't forget with your walking that your walking and expended energy around the office adds onto your proper walking. Chances are if you walked a mile, stopped for lunch or a coffee, you would be ready for a bit more without too much trouble by January. You are over the very worst, so I suspect once you get over this plateau, you will progress more quickly. I think you are doing fabulous ~ celebrate that :)
 
@beachgal. . The heels! It's difficult for a smart outfit to not wear heels. Could you get a pair of nice sparkly ballet flats? I am hoping strapped wedges will work for the ball... I've ordered a long dress in the hope my feet will be largely hidden from view! I take it that won't work for you...

You've done amazingly well in your recovery... but no doubt going back to work and moving home meant much of your energies were in adapting to those changes. The walking will come I'm sure especially on some of those breaks you've planned when you have more down time! I still have to get to the mile. I'm slow to walk on my own so I've to recruit a friend to keep me on track walking.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Oh, @Carriemay60, I reread my post and I sound like I'm whining ... and maybe I was a bit but I'm so grateful for every moment now without pain. Yes, I'd love to sit in my bathtub but it will be super - sweet when I can.

I realize the steps add up and I'm trying to pace myself as I still can't work a ten - hour day and do everything else I did pre- op. Just need to slow down and give myself a break. The shoe thing still bugs me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal , I didn't feel you were whining at all. We all have times (I certainly have had more than my share!!!) when certain things frustrate us. This is the place to come for support and hopefully some help and advice. Not sure our regular friends & family really get some of the stuff we can find so frustrating or, quite frankly, the things we feel are way over the top fabulous!!

I have an idea for shoes. What is your outfit?
 
@beachgal , I got these ones this summer and love them, really beautiful but you would need a pretty plain dress to pull them off. I wore mine recently with jeggings and a sweater and had 3 people stop to compliment them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rhi...KA7fdVwuREJHrA25rmhQR7Dac9QiEsZk_HxoCYybw_wcB

This is another idea - the t-strap holds your foot better than a true flip flop, more stable and looks dressier.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rhi...KA7fdVwuREJHrA25rmhQR7Dac9QiEsZk_HxoCYybw_wcB
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom