THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@beachgal

What I would suggest is going to a shoe maker and having a pair made for your feet specifically. Years ago I had the bones in my baby toes removed due to severe pain from hammer toes. I went to an Italian shoemaker and had two pair made just for me that would go with anything

Cheryl
 
@Carriemay60, those are beautiful sandals and I'm sure you dazzled in them. My dress is a one-shoulder black lace sheath with a red lining that shows through. The black lace really tones it down but I need a simpler shoe to wear with it. I found a black sling back pump with a kitten heel that will be great if I can walk in them. I also ordered a peep- toe wedge sandal in satin that might work. We 'll see. Worst case scenario, I have another dress and shoes that I can fall back on that I'm sure will work. Just wanted to wear this new dress and surprise my BFF!

@CanukTriMom, I've thought I may have to find a cobbler and put him to work but I really don't want to spend the effort and money until I get closer to feeling 100%. If it looks like I won't be able to find shoes then, I guess I'll just have to return to Italy and pick out a few designs!! Wanna come? :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal I'm not even close to being able to put my shoe and sock. I've been using a sock puller for years and don't know how long it will take me to get that range of motion back
 
Hi @muckingabout - Me too, can't put shoes and socks on yet, yuck!! That's my next goal...but might take awhile according to Dr's.
 
Hello all! I had my right hip replaced 6 weeks and 1 day ago and was wandering how long it would take to be able to put on socks and tie shoes. I came back to work after 4 weeks at home. My mornings start about 4:00...in office by about 6:15 and leave for home around 5:00. I saw my surgeon last week and had xrays done and all looks well and my movement restrictions were lifted as of yesterday. Tried to put my right ankle up on my left knee and no can do yet. Looks like some of you are a little further out than me and still having trouble in that area so that made me feel a little better....was glad I was not behind schedule. Doc gave me a script for physical therapy and my first apt is next Tuesday. My goal is to get back to being able to walk and stand for however much I want without any pain. Presurgery I was having lower back pain when I would walk/stand too much and I am still having some issues there, but it seems to slowly be getting better. Also the energy drain from getting back to work is better....first week was really tiring. I was also able to ditch the cane when I saw the doc last week...was glad of that as it seemed more of a tripping hazard than an assist. As I said I have been following several threads so I just thought I would add my experiences.
 
Hello all! I had my right hip replaced 6 weeks and 1 day ago and was wandering how long it would take to be able to put on socks and tie shoes. I came back to work after 4 weeks at home. My mornings start about 4:00...in office by about 6:15 and leave for home around 5:00. I saw my surgeon last week and had xrays done and all looks well and my movement restrictions were lifted as of yesterday. Tried to put my right ankle up on my left knee and no can do yet. Looks like some of you are a little further out than me and still having trouble in that area so that made me feel a little better....was glad I was not behind schedule. Doc gave me a script for physical therapy and my first apt is next Tuesday. My goal is to get back to being able to walk and stand for however much I want without any pain. Presurgery I was having lower back pain when I would walk/stand too much and I am still having some issues there, but it seems to slowly be getting better. Also the energy drain from getting back to work is better....first week was really tiring. I was also able to ditch the cane when I saw the doc last week...was glad of that as it seemed more of a tripping hazard than an assist. As I said I have been following several threads so I just thought I would add my experiences.



Hello Houston girl,

First of all congratulations on your new hip and wish you best for the fast recovery. I am also in Houston, I am 34 and considering to get the hip replacement in near future. I was diagnosed with AVN like over a year ago because of having prednisone for kidney. Now, I am really having trouble going to work and focusing. I am kind of depressed and I can not do any physical activities except for walking to parking lot. I am dependent to my wife at home. I went to 3/4 different doctors in Houston and most of them said to wait for replacement as long as possible because I am still young and may need to do again. I am in the process of finding a surgeon who is experienced with the young people. Would you mind sharing about your experience before the replacement and after the replacement? I also wanted to know about the doctors you visited and the surgeon who did your hip replacement.

I would appreciate if you reply. I will pray for your quick recovery. God bless you.
 
Welcome to both of you @Houston girl & @sub36!! Glad to see you on this website as it's the best source for information and support ever! :welome:

@Houston girl, I'm not quite at 9 weeks post-op yet and tried to do the socks & shoes thing about 10 days ago and had some hip pain...just tried it again Sunday and it was ok. Six weeks out is a little too soon, I think. The biggest issue is the bending and holding in the position long enough to accomplish the task. If you try it, it's suggested that you be sure to keep you knees pointed outward, not inward. You might want to search on youtube for a video showing the correct way to do it. It sounds dumb but it really helps to see someone do it. You also won't have that lingering hip pain from twisting and straining the wrong way. I would also suggest for you to begin your own thread on this forum as there are so many folks who would love to read about your recovery experiences such as @sub36!

@sub36, there is a wealth of information and encouragement on the "Hip Replacement Pre-Op" forum for folks like you who have not yet committed to having the surgery or are just in the research phase. Several there are also in the Houston area and can give you some good advice about surgeons, etc. Perhaps you should start a thread of your own in that forum to get a more varied selection of replies.
 
@muckingabout and @toohip, it's taken a while for me to do the shoes & socks thing. I've been close a few times but chickened out. :shocked: I was able to do it right up until surgery date so it's not a chore that I had to eliminate pre-op. It takes a bit of planning, though, and hubby still wants to tie the shoes once I get them on...ugh...

@muckingabout, I ordered two pairs from Zappos yesterday. They ship SO fast and I really can't afford to wait for Nordstrom's to deliver, same shoes, though, at both places. Hopefully one of the pairs will work. I'm getting a bit worried that I may not be able to wear heels again. I haven't worn stillettos or such ever, really, but would still love to be able to do a 3" heel for dressy occasions. That's not happening now, for sure. :bawl:
 
@NoraJ, no, my dress is a short cocktail dress so no hiding the shoes! If I were in a long dress as you, I don't think I'd be fretting over the shoe situation although I think your strapped wedges will be fine -- and comfortable! I'm anxious to see if one of the pairs I ordered will work...and it will also be nice just to have a pair that I can use for dress other than this wedding! I looked in my closet last night for a non-existent dress shoe and realized that I really don't have but one or two pairs that could fall into that category and neither of them will be suitable with this dress...Oh, my, what was I thinking when I bought this dress??? Oh, I remember...I LOVED IT! and still do...!
:rofsign:
 
Hello Houston girl,

First of all congratulations on your new hip and wish you best for the fast recovery. I am also in Houston, I am 34 and considering to get the hip replacement in near future. I was diagnosed with AVN like over a year ago because of having prednisone for kidney. Now, I am really having trouble going to work and focusing. I am kind of depressed and I can not do any physical activities except for walking to parking lot. I am dependent to my wife at home. I went to 3/4 different doctors in Houston and most of them said to wait for replacement as long as possible because I am still young and may need to do again. I am in the process of finding a surgeon who is experienced with the young people. Would you mind sharing about your experience before the replacement and after the replacement? I also wanted to know about the doctors you visited and the surgeon who did your hip replacement.

I would appreciate if you reply. I will pray for your quick recovery. God bless you.

I started having groin pain in 2010/2011 and about the point I was going to make a doctor's apt to see what was going on I broke my ankle. At the last visit to the orthopedic for my ankle I discussed my groin pain and he took xray of my hip and told me my hip was bad. I gimped around for another couple of years until it was really affecting my quality of life. Started asking around for doctor recommendations and finally made an appt and was told the only thing that would help is a replacement. I saw Dr. Gregory Stocks who is with the Fondren Orthopedic Group. His office location is on Main Street and surgery was there at same location at Texas Orthopedic Hospital. I was pleased with surgeon and facility. My surgery went fine and was in hospital two nights. Never had any pain..just some discomfort. I'm hoping the physical therapy that I will start next week will help me regain range of motion, but I am walking fine now with no cane. Not trying to hijack this thread...just wanted to respond to sub36. thanks!
 
@beachgal there is still time to get sorted! I'm sure once your further on the road you should be able to gradually wear heels.

My dress came today...A bit of a drama ordering it but it arrived! Thankfully it fits and looks good and the shoes work as you can't really see them. Thankfully I am tall because as the dress would be over long on someone of average height... but at least the pressure is off..

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@beachgal and @NoraJ

Okay first of all socks are highly overrated yet @beachgal you needs shoes to go with a fancy dress....now everyone who wants to go to Italy and Ireland to see about getting proper shoes for @beachgal, wave you hands in the air:dancy:. Now we need to go to Ireland as well as I need some new sweaters for curling this winter! Oh and they have great lager!

:happydance:

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMon it would be great if you could visit! I love showing Ireland off to friends from abroad! As for the jumpers we'd fine you some great shops where you could bag a bargain.

The funny thing about socks and laced shoes or sneakers is I could put them on early on...at about 6 weeks. It is amazing how we recover so differently!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Oh and Italy I would go to any time. Hoping to get there next summer...I love it especially the coconut gelatto!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Ok, @NoraJ and @CanukTriMom, I'm seeing the start of a really nice shoe and sweater shopping adventure! We just need to combine it with a stop in Paris for some chocolate...any takers??

:happydance:
 
Mais oui! I'm always ready for trip...plus it's less than two hours flying for me..perfect! We could head up to Amsterdam too...great shopping there. My mom got her favourite pair of shoes there about 3 years ago!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Well I know that if there is chocolate I am at the first of the line and ladies, I have a take no prisoners attitude! :loll:
 
@NoraJ, @CanukTriMom, @muckingabout,

[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!


Well, I won't need shoes after all. Both pairs are wonderful and will get me through the holidays, I think...
But there's still chocolate....
 
They look the business! I have an almost identical pair of red suede sling backs about that height too... lovely touch of glamour to them when patent. Love the others too. The wedge is very funky.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom