THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lunch out today with my sweetie and a bit of shopping afterwards. We're in the usual afternoon thunderstorm pattern central MS is famous for so I'm going to do some laundry and bake some banana nut bread for a neighbor while hubby takes a snooze.

We removed the elevated toilet seat this morning and did the happy dance. One more bit of normalcy around this place! Still so much I need to accomplish physically but these little steps keep me hungering for more progress. I'm very patient.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal - your comment so took me back to my own recovery regards the laundry and baking whilst hubby snoozed.. I slept and napped heaps, but I recall that my husband was even better at it than me.. I used to watch him sleeping!
 
@beachgal I really long to get into the kitchen and do my thing. I really enjoy cooking for the most part though I don't bake so much anymore because we don't eat it fast enough. Sounds like you have had a nice day just having hubby around :)
 
@Carriemay60, it's been a while since I've done much baking but two of our little neighbors here have lost family members since my surgery and I just wasn't able to do much then. So a nice card and warm bread will perhaps provide some comfort.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I love cooking and baking too...at the moment I'm picking blackberries in my garden and freezing them to make a batch of jelly. I don't eat much of it but people generally like getting it as a gift! As for baking I do that when there are others about to eat it or I bring it to work...
 
@beachgal That is very thoughtful of you. I have taken breakfast breads to families in the past as well and think it is really appreciated. Making some healthy banana bread is also a great way to get a peek at a new baby!! It's a great thing for a new mother to grab as she is sitting down to nurse the baby and satisfies that constant hunger she has. (yes, I am a baby stalker :) )

@NoraJ I love blackberries!! When I lived on the west coast (your type of climate) they were everywhere but I have yet to find a bush here. The berries at the store are not even close to off the bush berries!
 
@NoraJ, love making jelly! I haven't done much of it this year but we have such an abundance of berries here in the south, it makes for hard decisions! We have one lone fig tree in our little yard at our Jackson home but I'm usually not here when the figs ripen. This year I was! Although it was not enough to merit preserves, I did my share of munching.

@Carriemay60, my favorite are muffins since it provides more of the crusty tops to slather with butter or cream cheese but the loaves are easier to wrap and transport.

@Poppet, I think the best part of my baking banana nut bread was the amazing aroma that filled this little home! I forgot how that fragrance takes me to a comfort place from childhood!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal
Happy to get caught up with you too. Are you on the coast full time yet or will that be this weekend? Nice reflection about your place of recovery and healing done there. You always sound pretty well in sync with your recovery 'plan' and hip progress. At this point do you find that your PT needs a formal facility or will you end up taking what you learn and continuing on your own? I just received my script for some outside PT today, so I expect to start that in a week or so. I want to be driving myself so my wife does not have to shuttle me around.

Each of your steps that you share are helpful, switching your toilet back, cooking and shopping. I have yet to try the Nair though ;)
I hope you enjoy your new time by the water and keep some salty water on your feet
 
@beachgal I get you on the muffin tops! I have been considering getting a pan that cooks the tops only. Another favorite is Donut Muffins, you make them in a mini muffin tin, doesn't make too big a batch and are a dead ringer for yummy donuts!
 
Week Six - post op. When I began this journey, I really felt like I was stepping off a cliff. The only thing that pushed me was knowing that I simply could not live my life in pain another day. Wherever it led, that was my mindset. In my fondest dreams, though, I was riding my bike or walking the dog with hubby or perusing the shops in Paris. So I crossed my fingers and said my prayers and figured that I would soon know my destiny. Now I do. Sort of.

I'm SO much better, even at this short recovery time span, than I have been in years. I wake up to zero pain. I'm a little stiff but I've always stretched in the bed before I hopped up and now that habit has eliminated most of the initial soreness. I'm walking mostly without my cane although it's somewhere handy. I can reach down close enough to the floor to feed and water the dog which brings both dog and hubby tremendous joy. I'm cooking. Ditto on the joy thing. Little steps.

I finished up my last outside PT yesterday with A+ and instructions to continue exercising and walking on my own. I'll see my OS Monday for official check-up and plan to ask him about continuing with PT on the coast until the end of the year, perhaps just working with a PT expert once a week. Jury is still out on that but even if he doesn't want to prescribe it, I will hire one myself as I think it will keep me moving ahead and focused. I need to be 100% or close to it by the end of January.

We will head to our coast home Monday after doctor's appt and if you hear singing, feel the sun on your face, or just generally want to smile, it will be the thought of me coming home to my "real world"! I have missed being there so much but am equally grateful to have had the opportunity to have my surgery and rehab in such a comfortable, safe place without all the distractions of work. I've been blessed.

And at the top of my blessings would be the names of all my fellow hippies who have hobbled every step of the way. We have laughed and cried together, tried to figure out the source of various pains in the a-- and been a true comfort to each other as no one who had not been in these shoes could ever understand. Again, I've been blessed.

So that's where I am. :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great update, @beachgal!! So glad you are doing so well and will soon be heading to your "real world". I wish you all the very best and continued happiness and health.
 
@beachgal You have had a fantastic recovery and seen all the little obstacles with such determination and a great sense of humor. Maybe a little NAIR too :) I don't think you are going to have any trouble enjoying Paris and maybe even a dance on New Year's Eve!
 
Hello @beachgal, this is to thank you for all your kind words and for all your encouragement and prayers! I sincerely hope and pray that thst you and all your near and dear ones EVERYWHERE continue to be very richly blessed of the Good Lord Jesus Christ! IMs
 
Congrats, @beachgal! It was really fun to read your post and share in your excitement of a life renewed. Excited for you to get back to the beach!
 
Hoping home sweet home will make everything even better for you, although you are doing so well now, that would be hard. You have been such an asset to this forum and all of us here have loved reading about your journey and hoping ours can compare, we thank you for that! You have worked hard on your recovery and it has paid off. Job well done!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I went to church this morning and saw several friends who were aware that I was having THR and many others who had no idea I'd had anything done! They were being kind as I was walking slowly and carefully with no cane but it was another little victory. I stopped to fill up my car on the way home and marveled that one tank of fuel has lasted more than six weeks including the trip up here back in July!

Changing sheets, packing up pillows and reachers and ice packs. Trying to get items within my reach back in their proper places. Low shelves and drawers that had been empty are now getting filled up again. Later we will clean and vacuum well and get ready to head south after my doctor's appt tomorrow.

Full moon that we plan to view from the patio of our favorite beachside restaurant tomorrow night. It will be a celebration for all of us.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom