THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@beachgal Wow! I am tired and I only read your account! I may tackle some groceries tomorrow, but will do it in a scooter cart. I love choosing my own groceries - hubby buys from the list. Getting your toes done must be wonderful! I think a restful evening is exactly what you need now though :)
 
@RhondaK, I love Nair!!! I hadn't even thought about it as a possible solution until my sister mentioned it. God bless her. It's not like the stinky stuff from back in the 70s.

When you get ready to use it, put on a nice layer on both legs and don't rub it in. Just coat your legs with a thin coat. The directions say to let it stay for 3 minutes but not more than 10. I left it on for 10 minutes. Then I sat on a bath towel on the edge of my bed and used two old washcloths dampened with hot water and wiped off the lotion/hair mixture from each leg. Then I showered to remove any traces left and voila! Smooth, lovely legs!! Made me feel wonderful but also a bit foolish for not trying it sooner!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Carriemay60, know what you mean about hubby and list. He did great. But I shop!! I check out produce and pick freshest. I look at prices to determine if we'll have pot roast or pork loin. You get it!! I know my way around the grocery so I didn't have to retrace my steps. Good thing, too, since I had to play hide & seek for my car!! So funny.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal I'm a foodie and probably lucky I have never been charged with loitering in a grocery store ~ especially the nice market style stores. When living overseas for so many years and seeing a shipment of bacon or whatever maybe twice a year, I became a bit of a food hoarder and have to work hard to keep my pantry and freezer in control. When I just had the leg (before I broke my hip) I got hubby or son to drop me off and come back for me so I could browse to my hearts content, lol
 
@Carriemay60 I love going to supermarkets on holidays abroad and looking and comparing prices. Especially fish in Spain...its fabulous. I always go visit Trader Joe's or whole foods in the States... great stuff if a little pricey.

I love cooking and the range of ingredients here has improved so much in the last 10 years. Before that the staple diet was meat, veg and spuds! Now there are an array of ethnic stores and mainstream supermarkets have great stuff that I spend an age looking at and reading the labels and planning a dish. But it can be dependent with what's on offer too @beachgal!

I miss hosting dinner parties...I've avoided them for the past year or two. The cleaning and preparing the house, the cooking and clean up all combined to be too much. I am part of a dinner group and hosted my meal in April but I was tired after....
 
@NoraJ, our dinner club has begun meeting at different restaurants because so many of the couples don't cook anymore! It's been a while since we've met but I'd look forward to hosting a dinner again once I get my legs under me!

Hubby's family always gathers for Christmas Eve dinner, alternating host homes among the siblings. This is our year! Yikes! While everyone brings dishes of food and desserts, it will be up to us to set formal tables with china, crystal, and silver. It's actually pretty fun but we'll see if we trade duties with another sibling this year. I'd love to host it but will not compromise my recovery just to keep up tradition.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just a moment of reflection having zero to do with hip drama...

Nine years ago today we lost our home and most of our office to Hurricane Katrina. There are many tributes flowing from the MS & LA Gulf Coast areas today, honoring the thousands of volunteers from all over the world who came and helped save us. I think it's only fitting that I use this platform to express our gratitude for every expression of aid, whether it was money, supplies, time, or prayers. We have survived and thrived because of you. God bless you.
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Lovely picture, where exactly is that in Miss? We were one of the people that responded to Katrina. Our apartment building got damaged in Gulfport and my husband came in with our nephews with supplies. The two nephews stayed and operated dump trucks for the City, those first months when you could just throw your debris into the center of the street.
 
@LoyalD, we live on Back Bay near Keesler AFB by water. Our office is about 1/2 mile from our home but on higher ground. We built our home in 1998 to code and had nine feet of water inside. We rebuilt the same home but to current code. Unless you could see it firsthand, there is just no way to wrap your head around it. Our trash heap blocked the view of our home from the water. Your nephews probably helped cart it off!! Many thanks to you and your family for helping in ways you probably never realized. It was enough just to know folks cared.

When Sandy hit NJ & NY, hubby and I worked the SBA/FEMA circuit as we could fill out forms blindfolded after our Katrina. There is still no way to describe the devastation nor the human spirit in its wake.

Heck, y'all, call it Katrina, Sandy, or THR, we are ALL survivors. Who we are is shaped by what we've lived through and how we've paid it forward. I'm so proud to say I'm among the survivors on BS!!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Five weeks post op. It's been an adventurous week for me and trying old things from my pre-hip life. PT three times this week and I've added four flights of stairs, 20 clamshells, and 20 leg lifts. Groin is tender when I finish my workouts but subsides after about an hour's rest and ice. It's the same area that hurt before surgery so I'm not overly concerned. Those muscles are mad at me but I'm getting even for all they've put me through this past year. Heck, yeh, they're going to get strong and support me properly!

I've been on extended shopping trips every day this week. I can tell my stamina is improving and my energy level is better. I'm good from about 9 am - 3 pm. After that, I need to rest. I can work with that time frame at the office in a couple of weeks so that's a relief. Hopefully, I can extend it out gradually until the end of the year.

I'm pretty pleased with where I am in rehab. I'm no Wonder Woman but I'm no amoeba, either. I had a great OS, a great procedure, a decent body to install this new hip into, and the good sense to adhere to the rules. Well, most of them. I thank God every day for this operation and giving me my life back. It's the first prayer I utter when I open my eyes in the morning and the last words I say at night.

In 10 days I go home. Who's counting?? ME!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal my mom's home in Slidell, LA was under 5 feet of water in Katrina. Hubby and I drove from Detroit, where he was stationed, to salvage it. The experience emotionally devastated her, as I'm sure it did to many people. We were so thankful for those who came by with water and supplies, and just to check on us. I remember mom lying on the front lawn (what was left of it) to rest and one of the relief trucks thought she was having a heart attack! Everyone was so caring. I'm happy for you that you were able to rebuild.
 
@PuppyLove, it was a very difficult time for everyone. We were so fortunate to be able to get our office repaired well enough to move in and we lived there for almost two years. Our files and equipment were fine and after about three months, we were working round the clock with clients to process SBA loans and deal with insurance claims, etc.

We won't repeat that again. If another storm takes our home or office, we'll be among the thousands that will leave the coast. Hopefully we won't have to make that decision in our lifetime.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can only begin to try to imagine what you went through losing your beautiful home and everything in it! Heartbreaking!! We lived in New Orleans when Camille came smashing onto the MS coast, and the face of the MS coast was changed forever. The beautiful old homes that had lined the drive along the coast gone. Huge fishing boats in front yards, hundreds of yards from any water. It was quite sobering! Insurance replaces and rebuilds but scars remain on souls. Many homes on the water in our section of FL are now built up, if not on stilts, just elevated with the ground floor being bonus rooms or whatever, and the main floor being one story up. And the threat of humongous jumps in flood insurance has put a bit of a damper on property sales.

On a happier note, your recovery is zooming along. Have you been clothes shopping yet? I still can't get into things without my grabber and refuse to carry that into a shop with me. :) I sorta miss my cane now in the grocery store. People used to give me wide berth. No more. It's every man for himself in there!!!
 
@Beachmusic, I HAVE been shopping for some new duds! It's easier for me to buy what I think will work and bring them home to try on unless it's a top or dress that I can slip over my head. No shoe-shopping yet but I saw some cute black suede ankle boots that were wedges that I may have to get. I told my sisters that it was so nice to see different clothes hanging in my closet! Ready to burn the gowns and gym clothes from early recovery days. A grim reminder!

Grocery shopping is interesting. I put my cane in my cart and try to go when it's not very crowded but that's hard to predict. Last week the episode was two hours! I was pooped when I got home!

Katrina changed me forever but so did my THR! Life happens and we keep moving forward!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
"Life happens and we keep moving forward". I need to adopt that as my mantra! Perfect.

I just finished cleaning the bathrooms and took that big ole throne of a potty chair out from the MBR bath. Be gone with you! We have "comfort height" toilets and I just did a trial run. The potty chair/throne is going to Goodwill today. Woohoo! Life returns to normal, bit by bit.
 
Another "first"!! I just changed the sheets on our bed--all by myself! Of course, I can't tuck the bottom in but hubby will when he arrives. Success!!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal What a beautiful home! Events like Katrina are so devastating to so many, it is hard to imagine living though something like that. My daughter was flooded out of her condo a couple of years ago in Calgary Alberta. Her condo and contents were not affected but the building was closed due to lobby flooding. I was pretty proud of her at 22 years to put on some boots and work her heart out helping people clear their houses and working at a first aid station (she's an RN) She found it all very humbling I know.
 
@beachgal I haven't done any clothes shopping yet, but prior to surgery, I put all my easy to wear post surgery pajamas and clothes into a laundry basket and set it on a desk in the bedroom so it was easy to reach. I think theyre going back in the drawers tomorrow.
 
I hung mine in our closet which is pretty empty since we don't live here. It's worked out pretty well. I've started gathering things I want to take to our coast home so I don't forget. There is a little stack in our guest bedroom here which looks considerably different from the pre-op stack I arrived with. I'm taking my reachers and two of my four cheap Walmart bed pillows. I've had to order another elevated toilet seat for our home but we have handicapped toilets at the office so I'm good there.
I can't wait to pack the cars.

@muckingabout, You really do look amazing. Your eyes are bright and your smile is genuine. I almost cried when I saw your pic! You've got this!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom