Guest viewing is limited

THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good idea having a raised toilet seat in both homes - we have the same situation. Although with our new house we are going to have it built raised... You are doing very well @beachgal :)
 
@Poppet, I wish we had installed the higher toilets in both houses. In fact, I may change them out once I get caught up on all my work. Not a bad idea!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@muckingabout, our building codes require that we have at least one handicap-accessible toilet for public use. Little did I know that I'd be the one needing it, at least for a while!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had to replace my toilet downstairs and I put a raised loo in. No one really notices or comments much but it makes my life easier....
 
Okay, I just woke up from a nap and used the regular toilet in my sleepiness. I was okay except for the unexpected plopping down part, so I suppose I could use a regular toilet in a pinch.
 
When you gotta go....you just have take your time.
 
@beachgal @NoraJ @muckingabout

Glad you didn't hurt yourself! The "plonk" further down than anticipated just made me appreciate my raised seat for one more reason! No one else wants to use it of course, but it also means the seat is never left up by my husband. When I just had the broken leg, hubby would try very hard to remember, but a couple of times I felt like I was going to hit the floor before the seat. I just may keep this thing :) :) :)
 
I've avoided the plonk more or less to date. By now I can manage the lower toilet when out and about. I still use the disabled loos when out though if their raised they at least have bars to allow you to gently lower yourself...
 
@beachgal, the house you pictured is exactly what we are looking for. We own a number of rentals in Gulfport, but nothing on the water. After Katrina, we bought a house that was next door to our 8-unit apartment complex, the one that got so damaged. The lady had bought it as an investment, but it was so badly damaged, she had to unload it. Sadly, that home on Hardy Avenue, could now be considered beachfront, because literally everything for the five blocks in front of it, was taken out by Katrina.

We want to be located where you are, along on of the waterfront areas. The Hardy Avenue house, while five blocks from the beach, is south of Pass Road and the railroad tracks, and it is not in the safest area, if you know what I mean.

My husband just retired and I have five more years to work. One of the two nephews who stayed, married and built a 3000 sq ft house on Anno Saucier Road, north of the 10 freeway. Right now, when we need to come in for business, we stay there.

What type of business do you own, that is .5 mile from your home? We opened a small construction company after Katrina to help people who needed small jobs done, like roofs, porches, fences, etc. There were so many big companies that came in to rebuild commercially, but there was an obvious need for the small work. My nephew now runs the small construction company on his own, which lately has become disaster prone work in other states, like flooding in NY, etc.
 
@LoyalD, waterfront real estate has started moving again in the past year or so but just in a few selected areas. I really don't foresee a time in the near future when beachfront property will be developed by individuals. We will probably have a string of condos and hotels one day along Highway 90 as Biloxi is looking like that already. The further west you go, the less development except around the little harbor areas. Such a shame but folks can't afford the insurance and taxes. For that reason, most of the construction is north of I-10, where your nephew lives. Much more reasonable but not many waterfront homes up there.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal the regular potty can happen. Slow and steady. I have moved back to all of my regular stuff and I'm just extra careful.

I know when I first started using the regular toilet when I would stand up my knee would try to go inwards. Which is a no no. Again just slow and pay attention to what your body is doing and telling you.
 
When you get seated, try stretching your leg out in front. It seems to take any pressure off my hip and my knee is lower than my hip automatically :)
 
, I wish we had installed the higher toilets in both houses. In fact, I may change them out once I get caught up on all my work. Not a bad idea!

@beachgal, are you referring to the "comfort-height" toilets? The ADA standard? Right before surgery I purchased a new ADA height toilet for my master bath (I put one in my son's b/r 7 years ago). I think the old one's seat was was 14.5 inches, and my new one sits at 18. Much better. I can certainly use the shorter "conventional" height, (or even shorter as I think the one in the camper is probably 14" and we went camping this weekend - I managed just fine), but man I would not EVER put in the shorter toilets anymore....not after having these taller ones in my house now. I would definitely advise making the change!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wishing you all a happy Labor Day/Sept 1 from south Mississippi.
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Labor Day victory: used the regular- height toilet. That elevated seat is coming off the other toilet tomorrow. I had zero problem but it took me most of the day to muster up my courage.
Isn't that dumb?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal lol not dumb at all. I still find myself doing things like that for stuff I was able to easily do once I decided I was going to do it.
 
@beachgal What a beautiful sky!! I could sit out on a deck looking at that all night long with a good friend and a drink chatting the night away :)

I imagine the first time I am lowering to a regular toilet I am going to be hanging onto my walker for dear life! Funny, but I can remember that feeling from 12 & 14 years ago when I had my back surgeries. Just feeling like you will never connect!

I agree with @Chessie My mother put comfort height toilets in a house she built and they were lovely. If I had to replace a toilet in my house, I would do that without hesitation.
 
I've dreamed all day about being back in my office in less than a week. It seems surreal that I peeled each day off my imaginary calendar of August. Now, here we are in September and it's finally time to think about moving back to our coastal home.

I had PT today but I had a bit more muscle pain over the weekend than normal and I was a little concerned until my PT gal asked me about icing and taking Tylenol. I've neglected both. Back I'm track now and much better. I only have one more session with her. I'll check with OS on Monday to see if he will prescribe a few more weeks of PT once I get situated back on the coast.

I'm still pretty proud of new potty habit. We have several trips planned before year's end and it's a relief to know I can manage a potty of regular height. From toilets on an airplane to vacation homes at the beach, I won't have to plan for a higher seat.

As much as I'm looking forward to going home, I will always remember this time at our place here with joy. I found my old / new life here! I won't ever look at it the same again. I will miss the solitude and the inner healing that happened here.

Night, y'all. Gotta clean up the kitchen!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom