Guest viewing is limited

THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so there!

This time last year I was oblivious to my impending hip op and packing for my trip Stateside! At least we're having a bit of an Indian summer with temperatures in the 20's... After all of this hoopla I need a holiday!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Mani/Pedi yesterday, hair today, and I'm finally getting work to a place where it's not driving me nuts.
I need to do some serious grocery-shopping tomorrow but will wait on good weather.
Earlier in the week, I did a "no no". I tried to put on my pants while standing up. Non op leg was fine but when I shifted all my weight to the op leg, well, it hurt. Not crippling but I knew I screwed up. So, I've been taking two Tylenol three times a day since then and today it's ok. Thank you, Lord.

Stairs still look like Mt. Everest to me but I'm working on my phobia.
 
@beachgal Take it easy on the stairs, you are in a learning curve with that right now, so respect them! If you don't have someone to go grocery shopping with you, time it so you are getting home about the same time as hubby to let him carry them in. Also, ask the bag boy to carry them out!!!
 
@beachgal forget about the stairs it will happen! No doubt before you know it. I was using them from day 3 so just got on with them. You will too. Glad to hear the pain is easing again. Your muscles weren't impressed by the looks of it.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@beachgal
Once again getting caught up. Great to hear of your life returning to the coast. I bet it is wonderful, especially this time of year. I can relate to much of your status these days. After I read about everyone else, I need to do an update of my own. Glad you also have clearance from your OS for many things too. You are a trailblazer!
 
Hi @beachgal loved the pic of the beach where you are.
You are lucky to be on the ocean! Yay you!!

I can relate to the stair phobia.
I am still working this one out myself, slowly but surely.
All in all , you are doing smartly! :yay:
 
@beachgal I think I agree with @NoraJ. All of the sudden I would walk the last step foot over foot. Going down was easier, the 1st couple times I was a bit anxious, we have a short stairs that were easier mentally to get use to foot over foot. After doing it a couple times, it feels natural enough to keep doing it. I know your spirited self will own this very soon!
 
@beachgal @NoraJ @grnplatebrd @MajorHeidi

I haven't done the stairs too much either. I have four steps coming into the house which I can usually do without too much thought now using one crutch and the handrail. Every once in a while I stall and over think it so have to stop and refocus. The little stoop at the doorway gave me grief for ages but I can manage that as well. Inside the house we have 2 small flights of stairs going down to the basement but there is no handrail. Going up to our master bedroom we have 2 bigger flights that do have handrails but with it being a war bungalow the stairs are steep and the part you put your foot on is very narrow. Added to this is that they are wood finish so potentially slippery. I am very grateful for our guestroom on the main floor and won't bother with too many stairs until my leg is stronger or if they have a safe set at outside PT when I go. I remember the set they had in PT at the hospital and managed on those quite well even the day after surgery but then they had a no slip grainy finish, a perfect handrail, etc. I would advise taking the steps slowly in short flights until you gain confidence and the bigger flights will come with time. I think that you are getting in & out of your house Beachgal with 10? steps is quite enough for now! Well done!!
 
@beachgal @NoraJ @grnplatebrd @MajorHeidi and @Carriemay60 - At this point, I am also not strong enough to go up the stairs foot over foot...but my PT told me the muscles that help push you up and down the stairs are the gluts and to keep doing "butt" squeezes so to build up those muscles. weird, but i could go down stairs foot over foot, i just do not have the 'pushing' strength to go up stairs foot over foot.
 
@toohip all relatable for me. I found going down was my gateway to walking stairs, going up was totally different or not happening. I keep working at going up and think even after a few days of that, my muscles are adapting. Not normal, but just another baby step...literally in the right direction. Any increase in confidence felt huge in my progression
 
@beachgal , speaking of trailblazer, way to be bold. I am glad you inquired about sex and received the 'as tolerated' response. We were not as upfront at my last exam, I guess a bit shy, but it is equally on our minds at home. There are definitely some nerves and paranoia about it for us. I did notice there is an older thread on the site with some information
 
@grnplatebrd, if we all need a good laugh for the day, here it is...the front of the brochure that my OS, with his blushing red face, asked the nurse to give me! Honestly, my Mother didn't look like that when she died at 90!
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!
 
Ok, moving on from the sex talk...I went back to our gym yesterday afternoon and rode the stationary bike for about 10 minutes and walked, very slowly, on the treadmill for about 12 minutes. When I got back to the office, my upper op leg was hurting a bit but mostly from muscle use. We went ahead with our dinner plans and had a great time, I took two Tylenol before bed, and it's fine today. I was able to locate a rehab facility not too far from our office that uses aqua therapy and I've made a note to call them Monday. They have limited hours, mostly during the day/weekdays, so I perhaps can do the PT in the pool there a couple of days a week and use the gym for other days/weekends.
 
@beachgal Wonderful to get out for dinner with a group! Being able to stay comfortable for long enough to order, eat and enjoy a visit with friends is huge! I don't quite understand these outside PT centers having such limited hours. It is hard for us before we get driving to get there without waiting for someone who is probably working to take us and by the time all of you are driving, most of you seem to be going back to work. After such an extended absence due to the op I would feel my neck asking to leave early every couple of days for PT.
 
@beachgal That pamphlet is a good one. Some of this literature has really cracked me up, I do think you are right about an update. Ok, I will move on the new topic. Great news of your social outing. You are right, they are really a plus! Nice work on your gym time too, I believe a while ago you mentioned being an avid gym goer. Onward and upward!
 
After working five hours today, I grocery-shopped while hubby went to gym. The deal was that we arrive at home near the same time so he could carry in the goods. Well, I got home first and had bought some freezer items so I made three--count them, THREE-- trips up and down the stairs! He was horrified!!! Meanwhile, I counted it as part of my daily PT and was fine! I had to sit when I got the stuff stored but no pain. It will be an early night to bed as I'm pretty tired but it's been a happily-productive week. Thank God tomorrow is Sunday!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ha! Love the pamphlet @beachgal. My husband doesn't bring me flowers like in the pamphlet ...are we in trouble?? :) Glad you are doing so well and are back home at your beach home.

Re stairs, just yesterday, finally ( just shy of 3 months now), I did foot over foot going up. The little victories keep coming. We were in a museum and the risers weren't too high--that quad still isn't 100%. I've been able to go down foot over foot for a couple weeks.

I'm not here as much but always enjoy seeing how everyone is doing when I do peek in.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom