THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chuckle for this late night. Hoping if I write it down, I won't wake up pondering it at 3 am. I bought a bottle of Nair today. My sister told me that it had been improved for hair removal since I first tried it in 1970. So, I'm going to give it a shot. The razor is ok but I missed more hair than I got ...

My never-ending critical dilemma of how to get smooth legs. By the time I figure it out, I'll be able to shave properly again. Ugh. I'm doing this as my legacy to Bonesmart. I will solve this problem!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good luck with Nair. . Can't wait for your assessment as to its effectiveness!!!
 
@beachgal you'll get those stairs in no time. It's just a matter of confidence. We're in a two story house, so I've been doing them since the first day. Yesterday I tried going up without my cane and did fine.
 
@beachgal I have used Nair many times with great success. When we were heading down to Jamaica for some reason I bought Veet instead do to a full leg and bikini line. I did it early in the morning on the day of our departure and by the time I got on the plane, I could hardly sit down! Red, burning rash everywhere!!! Instead of sunscreen I was slathering on Benedryl cream the1st 4 days and keeping my legs hidden, what a mess! My choice this time (when I get to it) will be Nair ;)
 
@beachgal I was sorry to see you mention in another thread that you are feeling a bit down. May be the stage we are at, the novelty of sitting around eating bon bons is wearing off and getting old. I am fighting it a bit also, feeling like nothing is going my way, etc. I have been down just over 5 months now and seem to go through these cycles every so often but thankfully they lift and the optimism returns. I have made a hair appointment for Saturday and hope to follow that up with a nice dinner with hubby and son. Our son is now only going to be home for 3 nights which has really bummed me out as I was so looking forward to his company for a week but I just have to make the best of it. Try to look forward to the weekend and getting back to your house, hubby and dog. As a more "normal" takes over you will likely feel yourself turning a corner in recovery. In the meantime, do something nice for yourself like eating popcorn for dinner :) Thinking of you
 
@Carriemay60, I'm good now. Subject to change at a moment's notice but mostly I'm up. I hate to pass the days without hubby and dog here with me but they are good at home and he's keeping office stuff going.

The next time they come here, we'll all be going home to the coast together. I'm busy now getting our home here ready to shut down for a few weeks. There are drapery panels to clean, carpets and rugs to shampoo, and restocking grocery staples for the next time we'll be here which will be close to Thanksgiving. I'm grateful for this home and the physical and emotional healing that has happened here. In a way, it's fitting that I've been able to stay away from the office and the daily stress of work to concentrate on my rehab and be in a place of such comfort and love of family!

Today was another busy day. I met my sister at the hospital for my brother-in law's outpatient procedure to remove his gallbladder. I left there and went to PT where Bridgette kicked my butt again. Then I did something I haven done in over a year. I went shopping. I mean, SHOPPING!! I bought a dress, two tops, and a pair of pants. Hubby won't recognize me in new clothes!!
It was delicious. Simply delish!!

So I won't need to be rocked to sleep tonight. Each day just gets better and better. Pedi tomorrow and more shopping. Pandora's box has been opened....





Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
MY VERDICT ON "NAIR"

Rush out and buy it!! It worked like a charm on removing the hair from my legs. I followed the directions to the letter. I am so impressed with this product, for $ 7 at Walmart, it is an affordable answer to prayer.

Now, having said that, I need to say, hopefully not TMI, that I am a fair-skinned blonde and the hair on my legs is not coarse or stubbly. If you recall, I had a feeble attempt at shaving a week or so ago but I missed more than I shaved as I looked closer in the daylight. This product cleaned up my legs better than my razor pre- op. I may start using it full-time after trying it.

Another plus--it is very easy and quick for someone to apply and clean off for you. If hubby had been here, I could have been done in no time. Very easy to adapt to restrictions and limitations from THR surgery.

Wish I had tried it sooner. BTW, it comes in several fragrances, etc and I used the "with Baby Oil" variety since my skin is still dry from those damn compression stockings.

Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal The last time I tried Nair was in high school in the late 70s. Ha!
It smelled like sulpher eggs. Has the fragrance improved?????

Sounds like you had a great time clothes shopping. Woohoo!
 
@MajorHeidi, it smells great! There were two other fragrances, I think one was Aloe Vera and I don't recall the other one but this Baby Oil one I tried is good! I'm sold, really. I was ready to plunk down. $100 to have my legs waxed until I read about how legs can bruise if they are waxed while you're taking blood thinners. I'm still taking aspirin so I was afraid to chance it. Now I'm especially happy I didn't.

Clothes shopping today was so fun! I only stayed out about an hour but it was like visiting with an old friend. Everything I bought was a bright color rather than my safe black choices!

I'm still smiling about a new dress and smooth legs. Tanning gel goes on tomorrow morning!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I bought some Nair for my daughter ( 12 and afraid to use a razor). I hadn't used it since the 70's and WOW it's changed. I also ordered an Epilator for her, but she says Nair is less painful. Maybe TMI, but I've noticed since I hit menopause that my leg hair doesn't grow as fast (mine's also blonde, so doesn't show as much either). And wow, I had know idea of the cost of leg waxing!
 
Sounds like a trial of Nair is in order...Mind you I have the very, very pale Irish skin colouring with black hair so it will be interesting as to how the product works. The review sounds like the a company's dream!

But waxing $100??? Goodness me. It is about $30 for it here. It amazes me how some things are cheaper some places and more expensive in others.

@beachgal. ..you sound busy! Getting bits and bobs done. It is nice when you feel more able bodied. I forgot I hit that stage! Be little cautions if you're heading back to work next week..take some time to ease in to it.

Delighted you got some new clothes...I love (d) shopping especially in the States... your sales are top class! Nothing like a bargain to add to the appeal of an outfit!
 
Leg waxing prices here:

$ 30 per leg from knee down
$ 50 per leg from mid - thigh down

Ridiculous especially when you factor in the pain!!

Yep, I'm now a "Nair" girl. Wish I could figure out a way to post it on the pre- op side for early preparations. I surely would have had this on hand if I had known.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal So happy for you that the Nair worked! I am also fair with fine hair so can't comment on how it would work for you dark haired ladies. I do love the soft finish it leaves with no stubble at all ~ I didn't know about the baby oil option so will definitely get that on the Walmart shopping list for hubby this weekend! What a wonderful lift for you having your legs baby smooth and a bright new dress to show them off in! I wear bright colors almost always and I really find they work as a 'pick me up', almost akin to getting the sun on your face! Happy days girlie! :)
 
Ah...it was reference to an ad... I got lost there...
 
Me, too!! I can see those young girls sashaying along the beach with those shorts and long legs!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Little recap of my day. Pedicure at new salon which was heavenly and they were so attentive to hip restrictions and my request for no lotion/oil on my feet. No slip-sliding away today. Polished tootsies OPI Cajun Shrimp like a good Southern gal. With the tanning gel already working it's magic, I almost could pass for normal.

Picked up catered lunch for my sis and bro-in-law after his surgery yesterday. I got all her favorites and she told him she had no idea what he was going to eat! Delivered it and checked it off my list.

Quick post office stop.

After I stopped by our house for a bite of lunch, I decided it was the perfect afternoon to grocery shop before the busy Labor Day weekend so armed with list and cane, and a large dose of patience and "I think I can", I tackled the store. Great parking place. Not many people. Got everything on my list and several extra items, I checked out to the tune of $215 and strolled out to the parking lot where I lost my car. Really. It took me ten minutes to remember where I parked which was on the opposite side of the store where I had exited. Brain fog, y'all. Seriously. And the ice cream is melting in this hot MS 98-degree weather. I'm just laughing. Yes, the crazy woman with a cart full of groceries and a cane. Got the visual??

Home. Groceries unloaded. Ice cream safely in freezer after which I grabbed my ice pack and sat on my recliner with a large bottle of water and my hip slowly chilling. But no real pain. I got tired. I was wondering why I thought I could do a two-hour marathon grocery adventure but I DID IT!! With freshly-polished toes!!

There won't be anything further to add to my day because I have zero energy left. Pretty much going to drink a Blue Moon tonight with some fresh chicken Caesar salad and watch the Saints/Ravens game. And look at my toes. :-)






Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well many thanks@beachgal for another terrific tip. Just put Nair on my shopping list. I'm already aggravated by my unshaven legs and it's gonna get worse before Sept. 9th. I had already told myself that one thing I was not gonna ask my hubby to do was shave my legs for me! All the small things like that that we can do for ourselves to make us feel a little more normal will be so welcomed.
I am so encouraged by where you are on the recovery scale. I've told myself if I can be anywhere near where you are at the same point in time, I can do this. Your updates are appreciated and hope my recovery will be to half as well as yours. So glad you are doing so wonderfully.
Btw I also had a Banjo some years ago. She was a red and white Beagle. Lots of fun.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom