Guest viewing is limited

THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Carriemay60, it IS a beautiful place. We live on the water and have our pontoon boat ready at a moment's notice for a sunset ride. I've stayed away, mentally, from thinking too much about it because I can't be there yet and it would only make it more difficult to be happy here. And "here" ain't bad. The area around a Jackson is very wooded and there is an abundance of wildlife everywhere. Each time we go for a drive, we see deer. A couple of evenings ago when we walked our street, there were two wild gray rabbits. Hubby sees them every night when he walks Banjo. There are numerous lakes in this subdivision with plenty of ducks and geese. All in all, it's been the perfect place for me to rehab, especially without an audience.

@RhondaK, the Seabee base is one of our military treasures. Besides the amazing support they provide for our national security, they are always involved in community projects such as building playground equipment for Headstart and working at various soup kitchens during the week. Such an asset that none of us take for granted.

@PuppyLove, driving again is indescribable. Such a relief to be able to do a few things on my own although hubby followed me to PT this morning in his car to be sure I arrived safely. I didn't know until he pulled into parking space next to me.

All my safety nets. What would I do without them??!!





Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@PuppyLove, poppy seed chicken casserole is an old Southern staple and can be expected anytime someone is sick or has died. Think "Steel Magnolias". Hahaha
It's usually accompanied with a chopped salad with comeback dressing and a pound cake. Oh, my, my roots are showing!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Now that I've reached the four-week mark, I'll start doing updates weekly. My PT is on track, no pain meds save the occasional Tylenol, sleeping well, and inching closer to the goals we all have-to walk without limping and without creating too much havoc with all the muscles we have upset.

Hubby and I have had as close to a normal weekend as we've had in six months. It just makes me sad that I waited so long to start this process and determined to keep my rehab moving forward. He has been a prince but longs for us to get our lives back.

This is not merely a physical journey as we all know. It takes its toll in ways I've yet to realize. Prayers for grace.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've grocery shopped, cooked, done a bit of housework, and enjoyed experimenting with what I want to do vs my restrictions. Next week is going to be fun with hubby and dog leaving tomorrow until Saturday, I've lined up lunch dates, planned some shopping trips, and just generally need to push the envelope. It's time. I'm ready to see what I can do and what still needs work.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just posted scar pic. Not too bad for four weeks. I wanted to add this:
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal
Loved reading your recent posts, returning to yet more normalcy in your life (and your husband's). I can see why weekly updates are more appropriate as we all keep healing. Enjoy your week ahead and return to your desired location
 
@beachgal Lots of growth coming along in your recovery. Regaining that independence is such a huge step; I just need a bit more strength in my knee and a quicker movement to be able to join you but it will be soon! Enjoy all your outings and lunches :)
 
Sounds like your week will be fun and catching up with friends is always great. Enjoy!
 
PT today kicked my butt. Again. I did four flights of stairs to help get me ready to go home. I did 20 little leg lifts. No clamshells but may add some Wednesday. I sat on ice this afternoon while answering a few emails and wondered where the month of August went. Strike that. Where did summer of 2014 go?? Oh, I remember. I was on Bonesmart!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal Wow! How big are these flights of stairs? I can do the stairs not too bad IF I can get my head in the right place. Fear of falling really shuts me down and then I start to overthink the stair. If I can re-focus, I can do it, but have not tried more than 4 at a time. I would also like to know where the summer went; people are posting back to school photos on facebook and have had the whole summer pass me by :( Next summer, they will have to tie me down!
 
The Healthplex where I do PT has two different sizes of stairs to train on and I started on the "half steps" for two sets then moved to full sets for the last two. It wore me out so I rested a bit before moving on to the leg lifts. Our primary home has ten full steps to enter so I need to be able to handle them in two weeks. Bridgette (my PT gal) doesn't think I'll have a problem. I've been reading a bit tonight online and I keep seeing how important those damn clamshells are. They work the most integral muscles. So I've got to conquer them. On the list. Ugh.

Lunch date tomorrow with my best friend from jr high as we've kept up with each other for over 50 years! She was at the hospital the entire time I was and cried with hubby when they wheeled me from recovery room. Not sure why. My hair was clean and make-up in tact but....I'll have to ask her tomorrow!!! Her son is getting married in October and I've promised her I'll be dancing at his wedding. After three miscarriages, we prayed him here. Oh, yes. I'll be there.

Anyway, hip is better. Might be the wine.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal I think it would be quite moving to see a friend quite probably leaving the pain & suffering behind an OR door. Mind you, I cry at long distance phone ads on TV :) I have a few friends from the age of 13 still in my life, one of them being an absolute saviour at the wedding just picking up and doing jobs that I had on my list (like making salads for 45 people the day she flew in). It's a special friendship that spans so many years. Have great fun at lunch!
 
@Carriemay60, she's that kind of friend to me! We've shared so much through the years, it's one of the things I'm most proud....having a best friend that long. Her daughter is due to deliver their fourth grandchild the week of the son's wedding so I may be "stand-in grandma" until the festivities are over. Either way, it will be my honor.

Yeh, the Hallmark commercials get me. Especially at the holidays. :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Walmart shopping trip this morning for a few incidentals and when the nail polish remover was on the bottom shelf, a sweet employee got it for me then went along with me in case I needed her to reach down for anything else. Honest. At Walmart. Think I'll be writing a letter of thanks to the store manager.

Lunch with BFF at Broad Street Grocery where I feasted on quiche and salad with sweet tea. She had chicken chopped salad. I'm surprised they didn't charge us rent since we were there for three hours but kindly brought us drink refills and I left them a nice tip. We covered all topics. She was there from the time I arrived at the hospital and all during the first yucky week and still loves me. I'm blessed.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Those catch up sessions with friends are great. ... that I could spend time with friends when I was off was a part of the recovery I enjoyed!

The crutch/cane is a good for alerting people to you not being fully up to speed. Not that I want to use it for longer than necessary but it has a few perks! But sometimes the kindness if strangers is very reaffirming.
 
I agree - I found people to be most accommodating and kind when I was using my cane. Now they are back to their normal biatchy selves! (Kidding!!! :heehee: )
 
@beachgal Quiche!! The perfect idea to use up some leftover ham we have; a true comfort food for me and I have a recipe that is the cat's... ! Happy for you that you had such a nice time out today. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom