THR JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@beachgal , glad you are at a quieter time of year at least & hopefully for the looming deadlines people have everything perfectly organized for you! HA!!! I find my brain is still in slow motion a bit; yesterday was really noticeable when my son's friend popped in to untangle the dog from a mess she got herself into in the backyard. Chatting with her I found myself just a bit fuzzy looking for thoughts, etc. I was tired but will be glad when the fog clears!
 
It helps for me to do a little work every day but I started with easy stuff like ordering office supplies! Fortunately all my clients were aware of my hip issues especially through this past tax season and are so happy that I've had this surgery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal I'm not doing clamshells, but I was so thrilled to learn that I could allow my leg to fall out like that. It's been years since my hip would move that direction at all. it felt great.

Sounds like you picked a great time to schedule your surgery, considering your field. I stopped by my office yesterday and my boss said the timing of my return was perfect, because it was slow while I was out and it's just picking up again now.
 
I was afraid I had done too many clamshells this morning when I got up but the soreness has worked out as I've moved about. Being cautious, though.

The timing of my THR was quite by accident. I had been seeing my local OS since last October but hip issue went undiagnosed until May. Just as well. I couldn't have done it during tax season anyway although I was almost on my knees by 4/15! Part of the master plan for my life that continue to unfold before my eyes!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Day 25. My muscles continued to hurt throughout the day but have eased up a bit in the past few hours. I guess I overdid it. Alas! I have been doing my inside walking without my cane today just to see if I could. A few times I carried it with me but I mostly was ok.

Dog was due for grooming today and lucky for us as he started up with tummy troubles yesterday afternoon. Groomer is at our vet's office so we were able to have him checked out and got meds and bland canned food which he adores. He should be fine in a day or two. Can't help but feel sorry for him. He's so confused with me being three hours away and them driving here every weekend. His world is upside down, too.

Hubby is doing overtime again. Dog needs to go out every two or three hours so no sleep for him last night or for the next two nights, depending on how soon the meds kick in. And work! He's busy with two big projects but hopes to have them ready to shelf by Thursday so they can drive up early. I didn't sleep last night for worrying about Banjo so I'm planning to call it a day shortly.

It's a lot to expect for life to "stay put" while we rehab. There is so much I can't do or help with. Intellectually, I know it. Emotionally, it's tough. I'm used to having five or six balls in the air most of the time and I feel like the one I'm juggling now is more than I can handle.







Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal Sounds like you are recovering well still even if the muscles are sore right now. I am nowhere near clamshells. You (and your husband) do sound quite busy with things. I hope Banjo bounces back fast, not exactly easy to have extra dog duties right now. You probably stated before, but how old is Banjo? Your husband sounds like a trooper and I hope you strike the balance you need too. I agree, it is hard to be on standby when we would normally just jump in. Have a restful evening
 
@grnplatebrd, Banjo is a bit over nine years old. He's already better this evening so hubby should sleep better. I should, too!

I'm looking forward to PT tomorrow and hope that some of my soreness has gone by morning. Those clamshells were tough! I'm going to ask my PT gal to work with me climbing stairs. I have ten steps into our coastal home so that is a must. I managed with my cane pre op but need to retrain my gait to handle it correctly post op.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal you'll do great on stairs. I've been doing them since day one because we are in a two story house, but I still don't have the confidence to do them without my husband supervising.
 
@beachgal , sorry to hear about Banjo being under the weather. I worry about our dog being sick as much as I did about our babies when they were sick. It is so hard to see a being that is helpless to help themselves sick. Hopefully he is back to himself very soon!

For me the trick with stairs is the width of the railing. If my hand can get a good grip, I do quite well but if the rail is 4" or more I find it much harder to impossible. I think it is weight bearing on my leg that stalls me sometimes times and I start to overthink the stairs. Try not to overthink it and take them slow and steady. If you start to "overthink", stop, take a deep cleansing breath and refocus. Works for me.

The summer house I went home to after my surgery had 6 or 7 steps at the front with a 6" handrail that I could just not overcome. There were occasions when I got wheeled around the back where there were only four steps and a 4" handrail which I could just manage but it was hard! On a few occasions, my three sons and husband would just pick me and the wheelchair up and carry me up the front steps which I had to meditate through for stress but it was amusing in hindsight with my husband and two sons being between 5'4" and 5'8" and then one son 6'4" - finding the best spot for the tall son was always quite the conversation! :)
 
@Carriemay60, wow! You've got an entire brigade to cart you from here to there! I'm sure that video would have been priceless to see all those men juggling you about! I'm chuckling!

I feel better this morning on all counts. I slept well, muscle ache is gone, hot coffee ready, and I'm entertaining the thoughts of what I can get into after my PT this morning. It might be time to DRIVE!!! Just wasn't alert enough yesterday but today I think I could drive cross-country! We'll see. I often have a hard time balancing the sweet angel of "good" on one shoulder with the red devil of "bad" on the other. I try to function somewhere in the middle.

I hope you rest and relax as much as I plan to be up and going today. We 'll compare notes later!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@muckingabout, it really is a pisser when your max point for activity is two or three little stops, eh? I totally get it. Building up our stamina is almost as tough as building up our muscles. I'm realizing I don't do "slow" very well although better now than in the past.

I start out the day thinking I'll try to grocery shop after I do PT but when the exercising is over, there's nothing left in the tank! Uuggghhhh

Hang in there. Rome wasn't built in a day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's aggravating isn't it @beachgal? I know I'm only 2 weeks in, but I'm looking forward to the day that I'm no longer defined by this. But I'm terribly grateful. Just last night I shifted my hips to move over in the bed and noted that is was so much easier (and painless) than prior to surgery.
 
@muckingabout, I'm sleeping almost solely on my non op side through the night with pillow between knees. Just my comfy position now.

Yeh, wish my endurance was greater but I've learned to quit when the tank is empty. I spoonful of ice cream now and then helps. Just sayin.

I too look forward to forgetting about my hip. I dream of being somewhere in the French countryside with hubby and not even being able to remember 2014. Really.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
WOOHOO!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] JB's (beachgal) Joyous Journey 7/25/14!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal ~ having 5 kids does have some benefits, just wish they were living closer!! We have also said we will be glad to see the end of 2014. These falls have been kind of creepy and reek of bad luck. I hope your driving stayed safe & sound!
 
@beachgal
Congrats on driving! What a great step and excited for you. I am going to be one of the late clearance types for that. My surg leg is my right hip and both our cars are manual shift. I think that is the double whammy. Posterior too, so maybe the triple whammy. Have fun out there. If you find yourself in Oregon this week....swing by, I have an errand I want to run ;)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@grnplatebrd. ..that was me too and I was allowed drive at 6 weeks as long as I had one crutch and no pain driving. I am coming around to the idea of an automatic...seems much easier!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom