TKR Jancat's story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go back 6/21 with no more than 4 hours a day on my feet for the first 6 weeks.
I suspect there will be stamina issues initially, so I think we will be eating a lot of take out the first week ; )
Those first 3 weeks were so tough, but I would definitely do it again.
For example, it is pouring rain here and my DD and I had to go to the Apple store. When we got there, I was able to move real fast in the rain! SO NEW to me to be able to do that!
It is all these little events that I have not done in so long that bring home the wonder of this new knee to me!
 
First day back to work today! My OS has me restricted to no more than 4 hours a day on my feet for 6 weeks, thankfully. The knee felt great and I was on my feet for 4 hours (not continuously), and it was a bit achy in the late afternoon. But I AM TIRED! AT about 5 o'clock my personal gas tank 'light came on' indicating very low reserves, and so I am definitely going to bed early!
I did ice and elevate when I came home, then did a few chores. Have to feed my barn cats and then I am done. Whew, but so much better than before my TKA!
 
Isn't it kinda strange that the knees are fine---but the rest of you is just wiped out! Happy that it was basically a good day and that you elevated and iced when you got home like a good little BoneSmartie.:) Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 


Wow, Jancat, that is fantastic.
I stopped wandering over to the post side because they were upsetting me, so many problems.
I'm glad to have come over this way today, though. Your report is wonderful and I've bet you have worked hard to make such progress. Congratulations!


Elisea,

There are so many of us on " this side" who have been through the battle but won the war! :yahoo: What you are seeing on this side is real; and each person deals with their situation differently. I choose to be positive, because I know God is in charge! I love living the mottto; "Life's a Dance" now! I plan on doing a lot of things that have held me back for 23 years! It is so freeing.

One last thought for you, have you ever thought about what if it were you in their shoes? Don'T get down, instead encourage those who are struggling. It will change your outlook..
 
Hi Jancat,

I’m glad your first day back went so well. Getting tired quickly seems to be part of the package so make sure to make time to rest, ice & elevate.

Where in NJ are you. I was born in Jersey City and kept heading north and eventually wound up near Sussex County.
 
Morning Glory, I was raised in Jersey City! Lived on Magnolia Ave. not too far from Dickinson High School. Were you born at M. Hague Hospital?
I kept moving west and now live in Hunterdon County in Stockton. Although raised a city girl, I love the country and really need total quiet to sleep. Still have relatives in JC.
 
OK second day I feel a little better at the end of the day, just a little. Knee does get achey about 2pm but still NOTHING like I was pre-op! Must keep things in perspective!
I have a feeling this will be the norm for a few weeks, but of course it is a gradual rebuilding of stamina for me and my new knee. Still very grateful to have the 4 hour on my feet max restriction. I think that once I hit a total of 4 hours that is when the ache starts.
Still, I am thrilled to have had the TKA, and to echo an oft repeated phrase: "I wish I had done it sooner." :happydance:
 
It sounds like you're doing just fine. Bravo for your smart surgeon! He gets a BoneSmart Gold Star. Each week will find you getting more and more stamina. It takes waaaay longer than any of us imagine to come back.
 
I was born at Christ Hospital & we lived In the Heights on Lake Street off Kennedy Blvd. We left the city before high school but my cousin and one of my best friends went to Dickinson High School. I think they graduated in 69 & 70. I hated moving out of Jersey City, first move was to Montville, I couldn’t wait for summers to go stay with my friend in the city. Missed all those bus fumes!
Good to hear your second day back was better, looks like a trend! I went to see my granddaughter in a little play at her Brownie Day Camp. I barely made it last year with 2 canes, without my new knees (&1 cane!) I wouldn’t have been able to go this time. I would have been smart to do this years ago too but took me this long to be ready emotionally – I’m a bit of a wimp…:umm:
 
Wow Jancat!

I am impressed! Keep up the great work and we will keep cheering you on! :yay:
 
Yay Jancat! I am glad that your adjustment back to work is going well. Carryout for the first week is probably a really good idea. I wish you more and more energy and stamina each and every day. In the meanwhile keep on taking the best care of you that you can! :friends:
 
Elisea,
One last thought for you, have you ever thought about what if it were you in their shoes? Don'T get down, instead encourage those who are struggling. It will change your outlook..

Rest Assured - Hey there, I did mean to comment on this but think I fell asleep in mid thought :zzz: . Happens when you aren't sleeping at night.

I actually am very encouraging of others. I do like to paint the picture as it is to keep it real. There are a lot of people who are reading these forums and by having the good, the bad, the ugly, they may get a whole picture.

But yes, though, it may not be evident to you on this forum, I am very very encouraging of others, almost all the time. :)
OK second day I feel a little better at the end of the day, just a little. Knee does get achey about 2pm but still NOTHING like I was pre-op! "
Jancat - Now that you have a week of work behind you, are you looking forward to sleep? Or are you ready to party? :happydance:
 
Elisea- I think you are mixing up comments from Rest Assured and me. You are using 'you' to reply to Sonja and 'you' to ask me about work. Check it out in your post.
Every day at work seems a bit better- small but noticeable. The first 2 days I was VERY tired at the end of the day. Luckily I started back on a Thursday, so had the weekend to relax. This week is a full week, though, so we will see how I feel at the end of this week.
Still feel great though! I always take the stairs when possible and that helps a lot, like a mini PT session!
Thanks for all the support, here, everyone. I really love this forum.
 
Elisea- I think you are mixing up comments from Rest Assured and me. You are using 'you' to reply to Sonja and 'you' to ask me about work. Check it out in your post.
Every day at work seems a bit better- small but noticeable. The first 2 days I was VERY tired at the end of the day. Luckily I started back on a Thursday, so had the weekend to relax. This week is a full week, though, so we will see how I feel at the end of this week.
Still feel great though! I always take the stairs when possible and that helps a lot, like a mini PT session!
Thanks for all the support, here, everyone. I really love this forum.

You are so right! Thanks for calling my attention to it. I hopefully fixed it by identifying RestAssured and Jancat. Sleep deprivation, I chalk it all up to sleep deprivation whether warranted or not. :heehee:

Impressive that you are taking the stairs! You get a big gold BoneSmart star. :yay:

Well, I am looking to you for any suggestions on how to make it through the first week at work. Sounds like the first suggestion is to start back to work mid week or later.
 
Rest Assured - Hey there, I did mean to comment on this but think I fell asleep in mid thought :zzz: . Happens when you aren't sleeping at night.

I actually am very encouraging of others. I do like to paint the picture as it is to keep it real. There are a lot of people who are reading these forums and by having the good, the bad, the ugly, they may get a whole picture.

I am sorry if you thought I was implying that you are not encouraging! It is so hard sometimes especially when you are dealing with a lack of sleep, and you are in pain. I have seen your posts in different places. You are a very caring person! Keep being you, and keep posting! I would never mean to hurt your feelings, and I'm sorry if I did! :friends:
 
Well I finished an entire week at work! I am off every other Wednesday, so this past week was my full, 5 day work week, and I made it!
I really did improve through the week! Knee was achey the first few days in the afternoon, but nothing like it was pre-op!
Still doing 3 essential (for me) exercises a few times each day: balancing, flexion, and quad strengthening.
Getting ready for vacation in Maine where we will do a lot of hiking and kayaking. I am really looking forward to this, as I did almost nothing last year on vacation as far as hiking, and the prior 2-3 years I was in pain so did not get to enjoy it.
So grateful for my wonderful new knee.
You are so right, Sonja- new knee, new life, new attitude!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom