Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jancat's story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan, so sorry to hear you didn't have a good day.

If you really think back - you will realize you may have done more than you think you have. Just sitting in the car takes quite a bit out of you, getting in and out of the car for a few "quick" trips do too. Like BJ said - take care of yourself - your body is telling you.

I know what you mean about your other leg having pains could be just the adjustment time from the new knee - say something to your OS when you see him/her tomorrow - might as well tell them - that is what we paid them the BIG $$ for - to repair our knee(s) and all other things that goes along with the recovery.

You are doing great and an inspiration! Hang in there - anxious to hear how your appointment goes!!:friends:
 
Jancat, I get a pain in my foot right in that same spot. Not sure what's causing it, maybe a neuroma. But I know what i have to do to get rid of it (or prevent it) and thats wearing orthotic arch support. I have sandals, shoes, even my slippers that have built in orthotic type support. I never walk around barefoot. Pushing with the ball of my foot, like pushing a footstool away or pedaling a bike can trigger it, and getting those shoes on can make it go away very quickly. Anyway, I don't know if that might help, but It's like, I'm getting new knees and I won't be able to darn walk because of my foot!
 
Well I think I solved yesterday's mystery.
I had eaten a sub for lunch with hot and sweet peppers, which I have done before with no problems. An hour and a half - two hours after eating the sub, I had severe intestinal distress- full tilt! (Use imagination if necessary;) After that I began to have a fever, which I did not realize till after I posted my complaints. That is why all my joints were aching and I was busted tired. However, I had my follow up visit today and I am tired from that, too as it is a big trip.
My OS said my knee looks and feels great. Yes it is a bit swollen, and will continue to do that for another 6 weeks or so, he said. He said the only restrictions were no running and no singles tennis (no marathons, etc.- no worries there!).
I feel better today but still washed out tired; thanks for your support.
 
Yay, i am glad that you solved the 'mystery' of why you felt sooo lousy yesterday. (and I hope that you are feeling much better from that and perhaps only tired now) It is great that you got a good report & that things are coming along nicely with your knee. :yes 4:
So, no running and no singles tennis (which it doesn't sound like you mind too much) I think that you might add that when your body says lets take a break you listen to it and take care of it and you should be in good shape. :yay: Keep up the good work.
 
Jancat: you and I are in the same boat. Seems like when I do these road trips aka: groceries, running errands, by the time I get back home I'm exhausted. And I think, gosh, I go back to work at the end of June, how am I going to get thru working 12 hrs. on my feet ?? I get panicky thinking about it, I'll be dead on my feet, trying to drive home won't be much fun.
Today was my last day of PT. My ROM is 126, she was VERY happy with that number and my progress. I'm going to miss her , she was an awesome PT.
Keep up the great work, walk, walk . Kinda wish I had a bike to ride on instead of the stationary bike...maybe I'll talk hubby into getting one for me.
Deb
3/26/2012 rtkr
 
Hi, all, just checking in with a 9 week update.
I am getting around great, but start to feel achy when I do walk/stand for a long time. I spent a few hours pruning bushes the other day with frequent sit-breaks, and have been working more around my house now (catching up on spring cleaning that I missed) and later on is when I notice an achiness that does require a percocet.
My rom is 130 and extension is 0 (YAY).
Still going to PT 2X a week, would like to begin whole body conditioning again. I had given it up because I was in constant pain from my knee. My other knee is acting up occasionally- I want to wait another 2 years to get that one done but we'll see if it gets worse this next year.
Really, SO HAPPY to not have that awful bone-on-bone pain that never stopped, and so glad I had this TKA surgery!
 
:wow2::goodpost: Jancat--what a great update. Especially "and so glad I had this TKA surgery" comment from you. You're really doing great--not even 3 months post op---so of course if you get out and do what you feel like doing, the knee makes you pay a little--but it's good for you and the knee to get pushed a little.

Your recovery and attitude and posts have been very helpful to others here on the forum, not to mention how informative some of your posts have been.

Keep up the good work, take care, keep posting. We care.
 
Wow, Jancat, that is fantastic.
I stopped wandering over to the post side because they were upsetting me, so many problems.
I'm glad to have come over this way today, though. Your report is wonderful and I've bet you have worked hard to make such progress. Congratulations!
 
Jan, I'm so happy to hear that you are doing so well! I'm having my 7-week checkup today with OS. I can't wait to say that "I'm glad I had the TKR." You are an inspiration!
 
Hi, I am glad to hear of your wonderful progress. 130 ROM and 0 extension are excellent numbers. :yes 4: You are getting around great and doing many things and at a place where you are glad to have done this. How wonderful! :yay:

Keep up the great work. I hope that you do get back into whole body conditioning again and feel better and better. :dancy:
 
I must confess that I don't religiously do exercise outside of PT. That is what got me thinking about working out again-now I can say I 'should' do it for the knee. However, all I really have been doing is just regular life now- walking, stairs, etc. nothing more.
I am grateful that I did not have any major complications.
 
So I was admiring my new knee in the mirror today and darned if I didn't notice how crooked the other one looks!
It has been cranky lately, and I know it too, will eventually need to be replaced.
I am kind of looking forward to getting that one done now!
 
Just came in from 6 hours of working in my garden beds! Had several breaks so I did not overdo. I really enjoy doing this and have not done it in 3 years because of the old knee pain! The beds are in really bad shape but I am starting to see signs of order again. YEEHAH!
New knee feels GREAT! It might not be so happy later, but I will ice and elevate now.
Just one of many activities I can do again!
 
I am looking forward to working in garden too, that is one thing I miss the most. I am happy to hear you are doing so well. It's stories like yours that make me excited (or to have hope)to have surgery.
 
So glad things are going well for you. Who was your surgeon at HSS? Just curious.

It's a great sign that you are happy you did your surgery. Wish I could say the same for mine.
 
Mary, Dr. Steven Haas was my OS at HSS. I absolutely LOVE him! I could not be any happier! I researched so much and then had to narrow it down to who participated with BCBS, and luckily some OS at HSS did.
I feel so fortunate that this has gone so well for me; I delayed it for so long due to fear. PT guy on Friday was so pleased with my numbers (0, 133) and how well I am doing.
Mapmaker53 also had his surg. BTKA with Dr. Haas.
I don't think he does revisions, just knees and ? hips.
 
Jancat,
I can relate to waiting so long to get surgery due to fear. I was truely terrified. I had set up surgery last year but cancelled it, I just wasn't ready. It finally got to the point where I was in pain all the time and figured recovery couldn't be much worse than I was living with every day. And by then I was missing out on so many things I loved to do. Turns out recovery, while not a walk in the park, was not as bad as I had built it up in my head to be. I'm glad you are doing so well! Continued success to us both!
PS..I considered HSS also but wound up going locally in PA
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom