TKR Jake’s Got a New Knee

Sounds like a full day Jake! Be careful working on your UTV, would want you to take a step backwards(bad pun). Enjoy your Root Beer and the rest of the day. Stay strong!
It wasn’t a bad day Jim. Got the tailgate fixed, saw the chickens and took a nap. Ahhh the life of a knee replacement patient :rotfl: Pain is tolerable, maybe a 4-5. I had the polar cube cold enough to make me feel down right cold. Be well sir!
 
Happy Valentine’s Day! So another day of physical therapy in the books today along with one more day of healing. I proceeded to pick the therapists brain and she believes that POM is fixed after 3 months and that the ability to straighten the leg is “fixed” before the ability to flex the leg. That’s fine, still not going to do anything that hurts me, although I am sore this afternoon, it didn’t cause pain while stretching. Took a nice nap this afternoon and managed to surprise my bride with a valentine card purchased before surgery and hidden till today. Who says old dogs can’t be cagey lol. Just changed my ice bottles in my polar cube again so I can freeze some more, :ice: but that is okay. I still feel blessed that I had the surgery and am on the road to recovery. Thank you!
 
Like they say great minds think alike, did the same for my Valentine with a pre surgery bought card and a touch more. Interesting what your PT said about ROM, seems ROM can stir some debate. Another recovery day in the books. Stay strong
 
Sounds like you were prepared for Valentine's Day! I did a bit of internet shopping for my husband so thank goodness for that option! But what did you get the chickens? :heehee:
 
I am also a true believer of the polar cube. I am 16 days out from a hip replacement and have used the ice machine regularly to manage pain and swelling. If I’ve been out to PT or elsewhere I am sure to get the cube fired up and put my feet up. I bought mine second hand so it wasn’t as expensive as new. I wish there was a way to rent these machines to everyone because it has been a huge factor in my recovery. I hope your recovery continues smoothly.
 
Sounds like you were prepared for Valentine's Day! I did a bit of internet shopping for my husband so thank goodness for that option! But what did you get the chickens? :heehee:
I was prepared. My bride picked up a bag of “meal worms” for the ladies. They LOVE them, even more than the black sunflower seeds. I slept through the time yesterday to visit them. I am going to make sure I am awake today to go see them.
 
I am also a true believer of the polar cube. I am 16 days out from a hip replacement and have used the ice machine regularly to manage pain and swelling. If I’ve been out to PT or elsewhere I am sure to get the cube fired up and put my feet up. I bought mine second hand so it wasn’t as expensive as new. I wish there was a way to rent these machines to everyone because it has been a huge factor in my recovery. I hope your recovery continues smoothly.
Thank you for the kind words. While still not for the faint of heart, my recovery is moving right along. I have been thinking about changes to the polar cube. I wonder if they used better insulation in the cooler if it would improve the time between ice changes. Well, I’m sure it would. I can nearly set my clock to it, I get 4 hours of freezing in between changes. Now with the addition of a flux capacitor :rotfl: :ice:
 
Yet another healing day down! Pretty unremarkable day for the most part. Ice, rest, elevate and nap. Did manage to go visit the ladies this evening. We got 12 eggs for the first time today. That would be 12 over 2 days. Still a blessing and a record! I notice my stride with my walker is getting better. Trying to focus on heal to toe walking in a more natural stride. Pain seemed reasonable today, although I am starting to itch, not at the incision site, rather where I am still badly bruised. Not sure what that is all about. I’m positive it will pass. Shower and PT tomorrow. Some friends asked if we wanted to go eat with them in the evening. I’m thinking, I’m not quite ready for that yet. I’ll see how I feel tomorrow, but think we will pass for a few more weeks.
 
Some friends asked if we wanted to go eat with them in the evening. I’m thinking, I’m not quite ready for that yet. I’ll see how I feel tomorrow, but think we will pass for a few more weeks.
IF you do decide to join friends for dinner, you may want to bring a cushion to sit on in case there are only hard surfaced restaurant chairs. You may become uncomfortable more quickly than you're anticipating and also feel confined. Also, see if you can be dropped off and picked up at the door making it easier for you because honestly those first outings can be a bit exhausting. I’d also suggest going at an “off” time, less busy, less people, likely quicker service also. If you do decide to go…Enjoy! If not, enjoy a quiet dinner at home with your bride. :thumb:
 
Yeah, I was accustomed to going out in the world after injuries, on crutches, but following my TKAs I didn't go out socially for several weeks - started with a short walk through the Farmers Market, days later got driven to meet a friend at a cafe. It's somehow a much more vulnerable feeling than I'd experienced before. Plus the sheer lack of stamina!
 
A more productive day than you give credit for, progress not perfection. I could see sitting in a restaurant could be tricky, especially if the meal is on the longer side. I’m out of the house this morning for the first time in 15 days so I’m looking forward to a short adventure. Whatever you chose to do good luck. Seems like the girls are feeding off of your progress with a 12 egg haul!
stay strong.
 
I am starting to itch, not at the incision site, rather where I am still badly bruised. Not sure what that is all about.
This totally happened to me - and was especially itchy on a bruise that was down my shin closer to my ankle. The one on the side of my thigh was itchy too.

12 eggs! You certainly will not be lacking for protein - the little ladies are taking care of that!

You might try sitting in a regular (hard) chair with your legs down for a bit and see how it feels. The back of my leg was very sore and is still sore a bit. Even if I could by magic have appeared in a restaurant in the chair at 2 weeks, I wouldn't have been comfortable. Of course it could be different for you but it's something to try! I was surprised how hard it was for me to sit on a not very padded chair and still kinda is!
 
I am starting to itch, not at the incision site, rather where I am still badly bruised. Not sure what that is all about.
This totally happened to me - and was especially itchy on a bruise that was down my shin closer to my ankle. The one on the side of my thigh was itchy too.

12 eggs! You certainly will not be lacking for protein - the little ladies are taking care of that!

You might try sitting in a regular (hard) chair with your legs down for a bit and see how it feels. The back of my leg was very sore and is still sore a bit. Even if I could by magic have appeared in a restaurant in the chair at 2 weeks, I wouldn't have been comfortable. Of course it could be different for you but it's something to try! I was surprised how hard it was for me to sit on a not very padded chair and still kinda is!
I haven’t sat in anything other than my raised recliner, my truck seat or the edge of the bed. Mostly cause of the problem of getting back up lol. I’m going to offer my bride to go out with our friends. She could stop at subway for me on the way home. She won’t, but I can still offer.
My girls are definitely producing eggs again! Going to need to make some soon. I enjoy a good farm fresh egg. Off to shower, before PT. We got a dusting of snow so may need to rethink my footwear so I don’t slip. That would be indeed tragic. Enjoy your day!
 
I’m thinking, I’m not quite ready for that yet. I’ll see how I feel tomorrow, but think we will pass for a few more weeks.
This is very sensible thinking and will serve your knee well! Letting it stay in charge will allow it to be less swollen, and painful, and might even let it heal a little quicker because the inflammation will be lower.
 
I’m thinking, I’m not quite ready for that yet. I’ll see how I feel tomorrow, but think we will pass for a few more weeks.
This is very sensible thinking and will serve your knee well! Letting it stay in charge will allow it to be less swollen, and painful, and might even let it heal a little quicker because the inflammation will be lower.
Thank you! My new knee isn’t ready to go out just yet. On the other hand, a field trip to my wood shop is totally in order! Not that I am going to be making any sawdust, but a change of scenery does sound good! Bless you!
 
I found in the early days that just going out for a few minutes and sitting on the deck on the screened-in porch was really uplifting. I got so tired of looking at the same of sights inside, and that little change did wonders for my attitude.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom