TKR Jake’s Got a New Knee

Sleep seems to be a real challenge, I tend to nap a bit during the day and when I have a day with PT and a shower that nights a bit better. I’m off the oxy at this point and the pain isn't significantly higher so I’m happy about that. Sounds like you had a day, and it’s one more day of recovery in the books. Good on you Jake, stay strong.
Thanks Jim, I like the “one more day of recovery in the books”. I’m glad you are able to manage your pain without meds. I still am taking meds and am not far from my polar cube. Keep your eye on the prize sir, you got this!
 
I’m on the polar cube close to 24 hours a day. Anytime I’m not walking or taking care of other personal issues I am attached to the ice and elevation. Still takings Tylenol and Naproxen so it’s just been 24 hours and so far so good. We’re getting there my friend, day at a time. Stay strong.
 
I’m on the polar cube close to 24 hours a day. Anytime I’m not walking or taking care of other personal issues I am attached to the ice and elevation. Still takings Tylenol and Naproxen so it’s just been 24 hours and so far so good. We’re getting there my friend, day at a time. Stay strong.
I wish I could take an NSAD. They have me on blood thinners for clots. I must admit Motrin was my favorite non prescription pain relief. That came to a screeching halt when they found a clot in my lower leg. That is why I still am on narcotics. Tylenol, does nothing at all for me. I appreciate you Jim! We got this!
 
Well that makes sense, Advil was my usual go to and that was a non starter as well. Tylenol never did much good for me with the exception of a fever. Ice is as therapeutic to me as any of the drugs. I think staying on the pain meds for awhile longer makes sense. Surgical wounds are pretty painful and you need to heal there before you deal with any muscle rebuild. Like many said the biggest obstacle is patience. Stay strong.
 
Sleeping: I didn’t start sleeping straight through the night until about the end of week 6. I would wake up in the middle of the night for a good while. I have seen several members who said they needed to get up and walk for a few minutes during the night which helped their knee/leg.

Meds: On the meds side, I gradually added an hour between my pain meds but very slowly. Both knees I would get down to one in the morning and one at night, then just one at night, and then just stop one day when I woke up thinking “I don’t need these any more.”. They reduced the strength of what I was taking at 2 weeks at my request. For me at one month I was at about 7 hours. I never really tried the Tylenol route because I have never thought Tylenol did much. No point other than everyone is different, and as you can tell, my doctor doesn’t pressure patients unless he thinks there’s a problem. I actually stopped with about 30 pills left for emergency use. (ok I did that on purpose). It’s funny because all my life I have been told I had a high pain tolerance but here I feel like the wimp on meds, but man the pain from this surgery was something else, especially early on. I guess after spending several years at about a 6-7 a lot of the time I was sort of done with it and wanted to be comfortable.

In retrospect, I think I would have stopped a lot sooner if I had not been doing such intense PT. My pain level dropped significantly when I stopped going week before last. I was barely recovering from the last PT when I went the next time. A lot of this may have been because I had good bend very early and almost flat extension day 1, so they went to strength building pretty quickly. And I don’t like to say I can’t do things. Also I had a lot of pain in hip, back, ankle, and foot from my leg being straightened. First 2 weeks my foot hurt much worse than my knee. Finally, my knees were bad so long that my walking had been very limited pre-surgery, so I was really out of shape. I injured my hop in 2019 which then led to a badly torn meniscus that really started this all off. I was already bone on bone per the xrays but was in a work environment where I was walking well over 12,000 steps per day. Fast forward to 2023 when I was walking about 2700 steps a day because my knee felt like it was getting stabbed.

I think I got carried away there but as you can probably tell I am very grateful to have this surgery behind me. It’s lovely to go with my husband to the hardware store and be able to walk around like a regular person instead of having to get a thing to ride on or go back to the car after a few minutes. And I’m looking forward to working up to some nice hiking when I can.
 
Sleeping: I didn’t start sleeping straight through the night until about the end of week 6. I would wake up in the middle of the night for a good while. I have seen several members who said they needed to get up and walk for a few minutes during the night which helped their knee/leg.

Meds: On the meds side, I gradually added an hour between my pain meds but very slowly. Both knees I would get down to one in the morning and one at night, then just one at night, and then just stop one day when I woke up thinking “I don’t need these any more.”. They reduced the strength of what I was taking at 2 weeks at my request. For me at one month I was at about 7 hours. I never really tried the Tylenol route because I have never thought Tylenol did much. No point other than everyone is different, and as you can tell, my doctor doesn’t pressure patients unless he thinks there’s a problem. I actually stopped with about 30 pills left for emergency use. (ok I did that on purpose). It’s funny because all my life I have been told I had a high pain tolerance but here I feel like the wimp on meds, but man the pain from this surgery was something else, especially early on. I guess after spending several years at about a 6-7 a lot of the time I was sort of done with it and wanted to be comfortable.

In retrospect, I think I would have stopped a lot sooner if I had not been doing such intense PT. My pain level dropped significantly when I stopped going week before last. I was barely recovering from the last PT when I went the next time. A lot of this may have been because I had good bend very early and almost flat extension day 1, so they went to strength building pretty quickly. And I don’t like to say I can’t do things. Also I had a lot of pain in hip, back, ankle, and foot from my leg being straightened. First 2 weeks my foot hurt much worse than my knee. Finally, my knees were bad so long that my walking had been very limited pre-surgery, so I was really out of shape. I injured my hop in 2019 which then led to a badly torn meniscus that really started this all off. I was already bone on bone per the xrays but was in a work environment where I was walking well over 12,000 steps per day. Fast forward to 2023 when I was walking about 2700 steps a day because my knee felt like it was getting stabbed.

I think I got carried away there but as you can probably tell I am very grateful to have this surgery behind me. It’s lovely to go with my husband to the hardware store and be able to walk around like a regular person instead of having to get a thing to ride on or go back to the car after a few minutes. And I’m looking forward to working up to some nice hiking when I can.
I am very appreciative of your time and effort to share your recovery with me. Thank you!
 
Whatever day it is, sub 2 weeks anyhow :snork:. I slept about 6 hours total, divided by the need for ice and medication. I will take that as a win. I am a bit sore today after the addition of some new exercises yesterday at PT. When I got home my wife said “you haven’t done squats in years, why now”. I believe it may have caused my low back and my natural knee pain last evening and overnight. This morning, I have iced and relaxed. About 30 minutes ago, I walked from my front door to the end of my hallway 5 times with my walker. Felt good, caused no pain and will do that 2 more times. I’m going to skip the squats. My body says I’m not ready for those. My other exercises I will do today. This is not a setback, rather I am listening to what helps versus what doesn’t at this point in my recovery. I find no shame in that. I do like that the therapist has not pushed the measurement thing. I got measured when I first went and will late next week to justify additional PT sessions to the insurance company.

Right or wrong, I feel good about my recovery thus far. I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself. I do want to visit my ladies here soon. (My chickens). They bring much joy to me. My wife can bring me down in the Gator and I can pull up a lawn chair. I also want to make it to my woodworking shop soon. It is 29 feet with two steps out the house door and a single step into the shop. Inside the shop, I did a good “trip hazard removal” before surgery. Additionally, I have a high drafting chair to sit in once I get there. Not like I’m going to be making anything quite yet, but the change of scenery will be good for the soul. Thanks to the moderators for allowing me to share my journey here. As I said many posts above, I am writing here for myself with the hope it may help someone in a similar situation as I am. Healing wishes for everyone here!
 
Smart, any rushing here could set us back and then you have to work back both physically and especially mentally. Trying to maintain that attitude, everyone here has been helpful in reinforcing how important patience and listening to your body. Stay strong.
 
I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself.
Exactly! That's the right attitude! I've never pushed myself into pain (or let a PT push me there) and my first recovery was great and the second is going very well.

Listen to your knee!
 
Whatever day it is, sub 2 weeks anyhow :snork:. I slept about 6 hours total, divided by the need for ice and medication. I will take that as a win. I am a bit sore today after the addition of some new exercises yesterday at PT. When I got home my wife said “you haven’t done squats in years, why now”. I believe it may have caused my low back and my natural knee pain last evening and overnight. This morning, I have iced and relaxed. About 30 minutes ago, I walked from my front door to the end of my hallway 5 times with my walker. Felt good, caused no pain and will do that 2 more times. I’m going to skip the squats. My body says I’m not ready for those. My other exercises I will do today. This is not a setback, rather I am listening to what helps versus what doesn’t at this point in my recovery. I find no shame in that. I do like that the therapist has not pushed the measurement thing. I got measured when I first went and will late next week to justify additional PT sessions to the insurance company.

Right or wrong, I feel good about my recovery thus far. I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself. I do want to visit my ladies here soon. (My chickens). They bring much joy to me. My wife can bring me down in the Gator and I can pull up a lawn chair. I also want to make it to my woodworking shop soon. It is 29 feet with two steps out the house door and a single step into the shop. Inside the shop, I did a good “trip hazard removal” before surgery. Additionally, I have a high drafting chair to sit in once I get there. Not like I’m going to be making anything quite yet, but the change of scenery will be good for the soul. Thanks to the moderators for allowing me to share my journey here. As I said many posts above, I am writing here for myself with the hope it may help someone in a similar situation as I am. Healing wishes for everyone here!
For what it’s worth you’re helping me more than you may know. There is a lot of strength and hope when you share a like life experience with others. The wisdom shared of those farther down the path can be very helpful, which many here are doing with us. Hang in and stay strong.
 
My bride got me down to see the ladies this afternoon. It was beautiful out, sunny and low 40s. I sat in my lawn chair and enjoyed petting and talking with them. Now some of you may say “this guy is off his rocker”, but chickens are intelligent and fun. My favorite girl jumped up and snuggled in for a good head and neck rub. If she only knew just how much joy that brings to me. She probably knows, cause until my wife shook the seed container, she was perfectly content laying in my arm. Funny, but chicken’s eyes close from below, not above like ours. The attached picture is “Red”, my buddy. But I am back in the recliner, ice cube in place and relaxing. Thanks to everyone who replied to my post earlier. It means a lot hearing from everyone as they share their experiences and hopes. We got this!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Jake’s Got a New Knee
    IMG_1294.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 51
You're doing great! Yay for chicken snuggles!!!!

I also declined squats til way later in my recovery. My body before my L knee injury had no problems with them and while I can do them now I prefer other exercises to target hamstrings and glutes.

OTOH walking and is the great therapy and joy... initially, before I was comfortable doing community walking, I walked laps in the house (a ridiculous number done last winter, post op first TKA in the rainy season, to accomplish first 1/8 mile, then 1/4 mile, then increased to 1/2 mile; MDH programmed music to keep me walking!) and still do a few laps a few times every evening to relieve knee #2s tight band and swelling.
 
My bride got me down to see the ladies this afternoon. It was beautiful out, sunny and low 40s. I sat in my lawn chair and enjoyed petting and talking with them. Now some of you may say “this guy is off his rocker”, but chickens are intelligent and fun.
I love chickens! I grew up in Kentucky and didn't have them but my neighbor did. You can post pics of all the chickens! We have a pet bunny that lives in the house - along with 3 cats. It's never boring that's for sure!

My PT also gave me squats and ... I am not sure that motion is humanly possible. I ended up just sticking my butt out and calling it a day. I can't do them. I mean...maybe someday... but not happening right now. It also kills my left knee which still needs surgery.

I have been one of the odd ones that most nights I have slept a solid 6 hours with no waking - but I don't get much sleep past that. I'll take it for sure - pre-surgery I woke up all the time at night so it's weird for me.

I also think if you need the pain meds it's best to keep taking them - you're not so far along that it seems the least bit surprising. I've written about this in my own thread (I think my surgeon was a bit too anxious to see me taper - I had the lower strength ones to start with). I understand for folks who feel they might get addicted or worry over it but I've taken them before several times and never had a problem stopping. It's definitely nice to have some on reserve so you know you have them if you really need them later.

Please - MORE CHICKEN UPDATES:yes!:
 
My PT never had me do squats, or sit-to-stand exercises. And, I will say, any time I declined to do something, they didn’t argue with me.
 
My bride got me down to see the ladies this afternoon. It was beautiful out, sunny and low 40s. I sat in my lawn chair and enjoyed petting and talking with them. Now some of you may say “this guy is off his rocker”, but chickens are intelligent and fun.
I love chickens! I grew up in Kentucky and didn't have them but my neighbor did. You can post pics of all the chickens! We have a pet bunny that lives in the house - along with 3 cats. It's never boring that's for sure!

My PT also gave me squats and ... I am not sure that motion is humanly possible. I ended up just sticking my butt out and calling it a day. I can't do them. I mean...maybe someday... but not happening right now. It also kills my left knee which still needs surgery.

I have been one of the odd ones that most nights I have slept a solid 6 hours with no waking - but I don't get much sleep past that. I'll take it for sure - pre-surgery I woke up all the time at night so it's weird for me.

I also think if you need the pain meds it's best to keep taking them - you're not so far along that it seems the least bit surprising. I've written about this in my own thread (I think my surgeon was a bit too anxious to see me taper - I had the lower strength ones to start with). I understand for folks who feel they might get addicted or worry over it but I've taken them before several times and never had a problem stopping. It's definitely nice to have some on reserve so you know you have them if you really need them later.

Please - MORE CHICKEN UPDATES:yes!:
I will find some picture and put them in a thread for general conversation. Funny, I can talk about my chickens for a while!
 
When I got home my wife said “you haven’t done squats in years, why now”. I believe it may have caused my low back and my natural knee pain last evening and overnight.
I will caution you to avoid them as they can cause generalized tendinitis in quads, glutes and hamstrings.

Read the article below when you have time, if you haven’t already -

Glad you made it outdoors for some fresh air and a visit with the chickens. Thanks for sharing an update and your journey with all!
 
@jakemedic, it's best if you post your pets' photos in our Social Room here: Pets and our recovery
You will find loads of animal stories and photos there. Be sure to post a link in your Recovery Thread when you post the photos.

I am an animal lover of almost all of God's creatures. I firmly believe that they help us in our recoveries. At this time, I have 7 rescued kitties. They range in ages of 1 to 18. They keep me busy! At my TKR time, I had 13. Who needed PT, I had all those cats to take care of!
 
My brother has chickens and when we were there a while back we had watermelon. I was surprised at how much they enjoyed the rinds. He put them outside my Mom’s window so she could watch them from her room.

I took this picture of a few of them, it’s not very good but it’s through a window.

IMG_7699.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and while we’re on chickens let me add this button. We had an event at work and someone bought funny buttons for everyone to wear. I picked the one below. I saw it in my photos after searching for the chicken pictures.

53868320611__0443EA13-6921-4BA6-8678-C14C0A91C4C2.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Back
Top Bottom