TKR Jake’s Got a New Knee

My brother has chickens and when we were there a while back we had watermelon. I was surprised at how much they enjoyed the rinds. He put them outside my Mom’s window so she could watch them from her room.

I took this picture of a few of them, it’s not very good but it’s through a window.

IMG_7699.jpeg
They are beautiful! A friend of mine brought some small watermelons over last summer. They were not sweet enough for human consumption. So we cut them up for the ladies and let them have at them. Absolutely nothing left from them. It got super hot too, so we froze watermelon slices for them. Once again, gone. It’s funny, we have two apple trees close to their house. one will grab a fallen apple, run like heck cause she has it and 4 other will chase after her. The funny part is there maybe 6 or 8 additional apples on the ground, so every one could have their own. But it isn’t THAT apple. They are such a pleasure to watch, talk to and pet. Unlike the greyhound, they actually produce something to eat (and it isn’t them).
 
Happy Super Bowl Sunday! I got to go see our ladies again today! I ride in the gator, so I’m not walking to the coop and I sit in a sturdy lawn chair once there. Pachino was especially friendly. She is a dark grey Brahma and spent a good 15 minutes getting her head and neck scratched. She got down and Red flew up and I got to enjoy her too! You need to realize, I didn’t want chickens at all. Now, I am the old softy and find so much joy in the girls!

My knee is swollen still and quite sore today. First time I can honestly say that since my surgery. I may have overdone it by smoking some beef ribs on the smoker today. Not like I carried them out or in. All I did was walk out a couple of times to check the temperature. I’ve been icing consistently. Maybe I over did it? Who knows. Tomorrow, I have physical therapy and an appointment with the surgeon. He is going to take off the final layer of dressing. Been keeping up with pain meds and elevating it too. Have a blessed evening!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Jake’s Got a New Knee
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 40
  • [Bonesmart.org] Jake’s Got a New Knee
    IMG_1293.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 39
That dark gray one is gorgeous. Well, they are both gorgeous but I haven’t seen one like the dark gray so it’s my favorite! Did you stand by the grill much? Just wondering if you could have been standing in one place too long? A lot of people have more difficulty with that than walking. Otherwise chalk it up to doing some random something it didn’t like and back to ice and elevation.
 
That dark gray one is gorgeous. Well, they are both gorgeous but I haven’t seen one like the dark gray so it’s my favorite! Did you stand by the grill much? Just wondering if you could have been standing in one place too long? A lot of people have more difficulty with that than walking. Otherwise chalk it up to doing some random something it didn’t like and back to ice and elevation.
Thank you! We have two dark grey, two just like them except tan, and two white ones that are identical. I really didn’t stand at the grill. They smoked for 3.5 hours, unlike flipping burgers. I’m just going to chalk it up to having a less than stellar day. It is, what it is. I think it is our nature to ask “what did I do wrong“. Quite honestly, I don’t think I did anything stupid.
 
@jakemedic Still very early days for you. Sounds like all the additional activity was just a bit too much for that new knee. Recovery is all about finding your limits, scaling back and trying again later. You didn't do anything wrong - just found your limit for now.
 
@jakemedic Still very early days for you. Sounds like all the additional activity was just a bit too much for that new knee. Recovery is all about finding your limits, scaling back and trying again later. You didn't do anything wrong - just found your limit for now.
Thank you!
 
Good luck with your appointment, hope it goes well and keep us posted.
 
I'm almost 5 weeks out and I can tell my shin and ankle are still swollen a bit. My knee likely is too but it's hard to compare with the other knee because it is swollen from the arthritis. I'm guessing it is common to keep some swelling for awhile. I don't think you did anything crazy. I was 22 days out when I went walking at a store (Target) but I couldn't have done that a week earlier. I had a big jump in improvement around that time, but no "big" jumps since then. I got my staples out at 14 days post-op and saw the doctor and PT and by the time I got home I was completely wiped out and had to sleep. It's very nice to get all the bandages off.

Beautiful chickens! I remember when my son wanted to get a rabbit and I was like "NO WAY WILL I EVER" and we got it and she was one of my most favorite pets ever. She passed away (after 8 years which is long for rabbits) last summer and we adopted a new bun now. I think you don't realize how intelligent and sweet some creatures can be - and overall delightful to be around.
 
Good luck with your appointment, hope it goes well and keep us posted.
I am very appreciative of you and everyone here. So kind, so concerned. It leaves me speechless (which according to my bride, is hard to do)! :rotfl:
 
Hopefully after resting and icing you're feeling better today for your appointment.
Best Wishes...let us know how it goes.
@jakemedic
 
”See you in 4 weeks”. The extent of the surgical follow up. He said I was at 85 and 5, and that he wants me to push it more in the coming weeks. Says by the time 12 weeks occurs, it will be as good as it gets as far as ROM. TRIED to explain I’m still swollen which is limiting my ROM. HE suggested placing leg on a coffee table and pushing down. I nodded my head, but there is no way I’m going to force my knee straight. It still needs to heal! Ice and additional elevation, along with pain meds is still my plan. I haven’t probably been elevating as high as I could. I will do better at that. He mentioned doing the left knee in the fall, I said let’s heal the right one before that discussion. He agrees. PT went well, no backlash secondary to refusing to do squats. She said It was okay. Took a shower, went to PT, took a nap, went to the doctor, took a nap and now writing in my journal here. What? Maybe another nap? One never knows. Have a good one, we got this!
 
Says by the time 12 weeks occurs, it will be as good as it gets as far as ROM.
Per members that have healed before you, this is simply not true.
While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase as the swelling subsides and the pain eases.

I am so happy to read that you know and respect your current limitations and are in charge of your recovery.
I am going to leave three posts from other BoneSmart members in reference to ROM. It will not be wasted if you've read them elsewhere because it will benefit someone. I hope you have a peaceful evening and overnight. I am enjoying your posts and following your recovery.

JusticeRider's post -
I just want to add, for all those coming along, a note on ROM. I want to share this because nearly all of us have a tremendous amount pressure put on us to increase our ROM by certain deadlines, or else.

Mine has been extremely slow coming. First I had to wait out the swelling, which in my case took more than 5 months. Yes, months. At that point I began to see real progress. It has continued to this day. I have seen improvement in the last 2 weeks. It’s still going. A this point I think the limiting factor is tight muscles, ligaments, and tendons from 3 yrs of very limited ROM and actually about 25 yrs of somewhat limited ROM. Those tissues are slowly stretching.

I have had to be willing to let my flexion improve at a glacial pace, be very patient, and tune out the dire warnings of my surgeon, PA, previous PT, and some well meaning acquaintances. I refused painful PT and refused a MUA. I have absolutely no regrets. I know my body, and I believe those things would have caused a domino effect of swelling and pain that may have derailed my recovery long term and even possibly have torn soft tissue, etc. I now know I have the added challenges of hypermobility and an immune condition that causes an inflammatory reaction. I think a MUA would have been very harmful to me.

Instead of forcing it, I have relied on weekly massage and using my stationary bike as a stretching aid every single day. I have been very active, but I have ramped up really, really gradually. I have not measured my flexion, because honestly I feel almost a PTSD type of reaction around it. All I care about is function and what I can do. My knee is very functional now, and still improving. I love my new knee. I’m glad I let it heal on its own timeline even though it was so much longer than everyone (most of all me!) would have liked.
 
VolLady's post -
I want to tell everyone that has went though TKR that it is a long journey to heal. I am going this spring to have my other knee replaced.

Please do not get discouraged and I know you will because I did with my first one and cried more than I had in a life time. Scared mostly.... Surgeons will not tell you everything that you will experience during your healing. It took me 7 months actually to feel more normal but not 100%.

For the ROM I only got to 112 at 4 months and still cannot bend it all the way back to reach 130. But I can drive, sit at a table, put my shoes and clothes on great without a ROM of 130 or 120. There is no swelling at all at 8 months but I still have some stiffness at times but I deal with it and walk. I also still ride my bike with no trouble.

I am telling everyone this because your body will heal without PT and pushing your limit beyond to the point there is more swelling and pain. I have decided when I have my other knee fixed this spring, that I will do my own PT since I have all the equipment and items that they use anyway.

I had a MUA at almost 6 wks., and regretted it from day one. Simply because it did not help me anymore with my ROM but it did set me back on healing. The swelling was awful. I will not have another MUA even if my ROM was 95 at the time.

I will go in with open eyes on this other knee comparing on what I went though with the first one. So, with all that said, I wish everyone a happy healing and let your body decide with healing than someone trying to push you until you scream with pain. Also don't worry about the ROM, it will come -- it might take a year or more, but it will come. I am 67 years old and I don't expect to get past 120, but I do what I want to do at 67. Oh! and I can even bend down with the knee need to kneel on it..... Best wishes everyone!


TortiTabby's post -
“At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."

It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:“

And,

“Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance: “
 
”See you in 4 weeks”. The extent of the surgical follow up. He said I was at 85 and 5, and that he wants me to push it more in the coming weeks. Says by the time 12 weeks occurs, it will be as good as it gets as far as ROM. TRIED to explain I’m still swollen which is limiting my ROM. HE suggested placing leg on a coffee table and pushing down. I nodded my head, but there is no way I’m going to force my knee straight. It still needs to heal! Ice and additional elevation, along with pain meds is still my plan. I haven’t probably been elevating as high as I could. I will do better at that. He mentioned doing the left knee in the fall, I said let’s heal the right one before that discussion. He agrees. PT went well, no backlash secondary to refusing to do squats. She said It was okay. Took a shower, went to PT, took a nap, went to the doctor, took a nap and now writing in my journal here. What? Maybe another nap? One never knows. Have a good one, we got this!
I’m sorry it didn’t go exactly as you would have liked. With the experience shared here coupled with the fact that you know your body better than anyone I think your response is spot on. As I continue to educate myself about this journey the misinformation out there amongst so called professionals is a bit concerning. So far I haven’t run into any of that with my PT. I start with outpatient PT Friday with a PT I did my pre surgical sessions with. My follow up with my OS isn't till March 4 and I’ll be interested in the first feedback I’ll get from him. Stay strong.
 
@Layla i appreciate you taking the time to post others experiences. It is much appreciated. Jim, I look forward to your words of encourage nearly every day. I hope your recovery continues on a satisfactory path for you. I’m my case, I can not be happier. My new knee is 2 weeks old tomorrow. Is it still bruised, swollen and painful? Yep. Will I get through this and have a successful outcome? Yep. We got this, it will be fine!
 
Says by the time 12 weeks occurs, it will be as good as it gets as far as ROM.
I don’t know why they believe this. After a rough first year, ROM-wise, I had a lot of improvement in my second year, and even a bit more of an increase in my third year.

HE suggested placing leg on a coffee table and pushing down. I nodded my head, but there is no way I’m going to force my knee straight.
Just, no. :no-fin:
 
Jake, your instincts are sound. Stick to your guns on this - your knee is running the show and won't be rushed by arbitrary timelines.
 
Jake, your instincts are sound. Stick to your guns on this - your knee is running the show and won't be rushed by arbitrary timelines.
I agree totally. I’m not too worried about it. I don’t go back till 4 weeks. He wants to speak about replacing the other one this fall. I quickly told him let me finish or at least get down the path of healing the right one before we talk about the left one. Appreciate you seeing that my instincts are decent. I got 60 years of refining them after all.
 
Hello and happy Tuesday! My new knee is 2 weeks old today! I’m celebrating with a Mug root beer (actually I was thirsty and it’s all I had besides water). I’m back to freezing again, with my polar cube and my desire to reduce swelling. Had a decent nights sleep as I raised the foot of the bed as high as I could to promote elevation. (Has had an adjustable bed for years). Still swollen, but maybe a tad less than yesterday. Trying to manage my discomfort with hydrocodone versus oxycodone today. Made it 5.5 hours between dosing. Today I have a couple of things to do. One, I have a couple of easy parts to install on my gator UTV. They hold the tailgate in place and should be an easy repair. It’s at chest level and won’t require any heavy lifting. Should have done it before surgery, but oh well. The other thing is to visit the ladies down at the chicken coop. Missed them yesterday as I was napping. I originally planned the trek to my wood shop, but thinking to myself it maybe a bit much to do all three. My main job of rehabbing my new knee has to be first and foremost. Physical Therapy tomorrow. Thanks for checking out my post!
 
Sounds like a full day Jake! Be careful working on your UTV, would want you to take a step backwards(bad pun). Enjoy your Root Beer and the rest of the day. Stay strong!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom