TKR Jake’s Got a New Knee

Hello! Tonight, I am sore. Had PT today and the therapist had me “hold“ the stretches to the count of 10-15. Additionally, he attempted, to push down or manipulate my knee straight. While it didn’t hurt at the time, it hurt when I got home and for the rest of the day. Needless to say, I won’t be allowing that to happen again. I’m a bit displeased with myself. It will be okay however. I’ve been icing, elevating and pain control. For some reason, the healthcare community really believes that “window of opportunity” is short and that the “scar tissue” is going to be the demon. It’s really unfortunate, but I believe this group more than my healthcare team. God Bless!
 
AAAAAARGH!!!!!!
Please tell the PT nicely but firmly Do Not Do That Again.
It's the last thing a new knee needs.

Re holding a stretch that long... bodies are different. Mine won't tolerate a static stretch that long regardless of surgery, while others thrive on them. What I have learned regardless is that the whole body needs to relax and ALLOW the stretch to happen, just to a natural non painful endpoint, rather than trying to impose the stretch with any kind of tension. Relaxing is how I gained full extension, and it can take many long weeks to occur.
 
So sorry this happened to you, @jakemedic.

It really is frustrating how many PTs still believe there's a "window of opportunity" -- that Old School thinking has been debunked and they are behind the times.

Just remember: the therapist works for you, not the other way around. This is YOUR knee and YOUR recovery and you have the right to say "NO" to anything that doesn't seem right to you.

Hope the ice and elevation have you feeling better soon!
 
I’m a bit displeased with myself.
Aww, I am really sorry. Try not to be.
I'm guessing your instinct was to say, STOP, but you followed the PT's direction, now regretting it. We're conditioned to believe the professional (PT) knows best, but they don't in all cases, which you learned the hard way, but the good thing is, it will give you even more confidence now to object to movement you're not comfortable with. I wish you speedy relief, jakemedic, and hope you're doing better today.
 
Sorry to hear that, Jake. I think everyone who’s commented has pretty much echoed my view. It’s tough to be in a situation where we feel the need to question the professional. It seems a little unnatural. I think we are both learning here that we do need to exercise some control over our therapy. Although my PT so far hasn’t tried anything like that I anticipate that maybe on the horizon since I’ve only had one session, time will tell. Hang in there and stay strong. You’ll get there.
 
While it didn’t hurt at the time, it hurt when I got home and for the rest of the day.
This is often the case for me at PT. She doesn't push on my knee at all but I do 30 of one exercise (especially a new one) and I pay for it later. I'm glad it didn't hurt at the time which - at least - hopefully will mean you felt better today.
 
While it didn’t hurt at the time, it hurt when I got home and for the rest of the day.
This is often the case for me at PT. She doesn't push on my knee at all but I do 30 of one exercise (especially a new one) and I pay for it later. I'm glad it didn't hurt at the time which - at least - hopefully will mean you felt better today.
FWIW, even on my first knee, before finding BoneSmart, if PT said about a new exercise, do three sets of 10.... I did ten and said "I'm good."
(Also... I have no idea where "three sets of..." became PTs gold standard. From my understanding of the molecular structure and physiology of slow and fast muscle fibers, it makes no sense.)
 
Thanks everyone for your responses. I appreciate it very much. Today was a low key day. Iced, rested and elevated for most the day. Did make it to my workshop today and hung out for about an hour, doing simple things. Then it was back for more ice and rest. Pain wasn’t horrible today. I did have to stop using the polar cube on one occasion today. I could not get warm, no matter how many blankets I piled on. I did survive though and am looking forward to bed, elevating and yep, the polar cube. Eventually, I need to figure out a way to side sleep with my new knee. I always was a side sleeper, well I was till I got my new knee. Sleeping on my back works, but not perfect. Again, thanks to everyone for their support, it means the world to me! :prayer:
 
The key to side sleeping is lying on the unaffected side and lots of pillows!
I was happy with one plump pillow between my knees, so my operated hip and thigh were parallel to the bed.
It took a while each time to settle in with just the right amount of knee flexion, and as I recall it was quite a while before I could sleep more than an hour on my side.
 
Sleeping on my back works, but not perfect.
I found sleeping on my back was much more comfortable if my legs were elevated. I didn’t have a Lounge Doctor, but I had the foam wedge my hospital sent home with me, it’s a slightly different angle. I don’t know what either I was charged for it, or my insurance was, but it’s been worth every penny!
 
I could not get warm, no matter how many blankets I piled on.
This happened to me overnight about 2 weeks post-op - I woke up with horrible chills that I couldn't get to stop. They lasted about 45 minutes. I woke up my husband because I thought I was going to throw up. After that I didn't sleep with the ice machine. I have a heated blanket on the bed also but it didn't matter (and one at the recliner). I'm just really careful now about using my ice machine. I used it over the summer (pre-op) and never had an issue. Maybe if I cranked the heat in the house to near 80 I'd tolerate it lol.

I'm glad to hear you took it easy. I sometimes "practice" side sleeping during the day to see if I could get comfortable with this or that combo of pillows but after 5 minutes I'm always like "nope" - doesn't help my shoulders are sore from still using the walker!
 
Sleeping on my back works, but not perfect.
I found sleeping on my back was much more comfortable if my legs were elevated. I didn’t have a Lounge Doctor, but I had the foam wedge my hospital sent home with me, it’s a slightly different angle. I don’t know what either I was charged for it, or my insurance was, but it’s been worth every penny!
I have an adjustable bed. I max out the foot and raise the head just a tad. Isn’t perfect, but better than nothing. Although my bride ended up sleeping across the hall when I adjust the bed! Note to self, get a king size bed with each side having the capability of adjusting. :heehee:
 
Hello! Just shy of 3 weeks post op for me! Sort of took it easy today although I did manage to make myself some French toast with eggs from my hens! Of course had an extra piece for the greyhound. Anytime I take out an egg carton, she seems to think she is getting an egg too. Not sure how she got that way! :snork: Anyhow, pain was in the 3-4 range only taking hydrocodone today x3. I’m not attempting to cut back, but felt reasonably good and wanted a bit clearer of a thought pattern. Went with my bride to hang out with the chickens this afternoon. Being outside in the sunshine and of course enjoying the hens is always a winning combination. Just laid down and got my polar cube all situated and thought, darn, I didn’t add anything to my bonesmart blog today. I would give the day a solid 7 on the 1-10 scale. Mood is good, pain is tolerated. As good as it gets this early in my recovery. Tomorrow, back to PT, but I’m going to be more vocal about the care I get.
 
Sounds like a real good day!!!!
 
Yeah...I also wonder how my pets got so entitled that they think they're getting something whenever they hear a package crinkle - haha! (rabbit and cats have treats in crinkly bags).

Glad to hear you had a good day!
 
Good days are the best days! Hubs says if you wake up "breathing" it's a good day. Didn't know there was any other way to wake up except breathing, lol.
Good luck in PT tomorrow...remember who's boss. :wink:
@jakemedic
 
PT went quite well. Girl young enough to be my daughter made the session gentle and pain free. She still challenged me though. Did have a minor uptick in pain, but ice and rest helped it. She challenged me to walk more with heel to toe and less shuffling. I think that the session was a success.

A good friend texted me to see how I was getting along. We ended up talking for a couple of hours to avoid long text messages.

I went with my wife and visited the coop. We gor 8 eggs today.

I hope everyone had a great day. Looking forward to tomorrow, it may break 60 degrees. Unheard of for February.
 
@jakemedic Sounds like a very successful PT session. Working on heal/toe walking is definitely helpful.

We had chickens and ducks for several years. I do miss the daily gifts!
Hey Jaycey! After looking at my soles on a pair of work boots that need to be replaced, I wore out the toe then the heal. So it maybe my biggest long term achievement. I think, I drug my toes, not totally picking up the leg. Just my own observation. But, I do like challenges! I am going to dig around here and see if anyone documented learning proper walking techniques. This problem could be an amplification from hip replacement and knees being wore out.

Our hens bring so much enjoyment to me, the eggs are just a bonus. They are funny, intelligent and each has their own personality and quirks.

Thanks for replying!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom