TKR Jake’s Got a New Knee

0500 (Really early for those who don’t tell military time lol) I was up for my usual potty break and ice bottle change. While wearing my camping headlamp, had to search for a bag, not sure where my bride put my trusty Linus bag. Found a hobby lobby bag and grabbed frozen bottles for the freezer for my trek to the bedroom. Thought I’d be cute and pick up the polar cube, while hanging onto the bag and swap out bottles. No bending, easy peasy. Well, I’m sure any sane person knows that holding a bag while holding a polar cube and changing bottles while holding onto my trusty walker takes more than 2 hands. Needless to say it didn’t go well for me. I had water all over and after a bad word, my wife awoke (she may have woke up with the fall of the polar cube lol) and said “let me help you”. So she is on the sofa sleeping and I am documenting my adventure. Nothing but spilt water, wet socks and my pride that I can’t do that without spilling water. Funny thing, I told my bride that I had a milk crate in my shop that isn’t being used to raise the polar cube on as we went to bed last night. Maybe I know I was going to do something stupid like this. I sincerely apologized to her, and now I am trying to make a funny story out of it. Cause in reality, it is.:rotfl: We got this!
 
:bolt:I think my wife’s patience with me trying to”help” her is wearing thin. Understand why you did it but I don’t know whats coiming out of me more “thanks” or “I’m sorry”. The mental picture of you with the mining cap on is starting my day off with a :) Thanks for sharing, be strong.
 
Last edited:
Hey better the water falling than you! I've had a couple of mishaps as well. Water is always the easiest to clean up that's for sure! Sounds like you are progressing smoothly in your recovery. Thinking back to the turned foot (and my foot/leg turns as well both pre-surgery and is doing it now), it does get easier as the weeks go on to hold that leg straight when you're sitting or in the recliner or bed. At first it was a bit painful. I'm 4 weeks post-op today and can sit with it straight but it still naturally wants to turn if I am not paying attention but there's no discomfort to doing it.

On to the next adventure!:loll:
 
You’re early yet, it took a while before my gait could survive carrying anything heavy, and I still don’t go too heavy. You are making me appreciate my polar ice because it has a telescoping handle on one side and wheels like a suitcase. Be careful and let your wife help you at least some of the time. You won’t need help for too long but you might could use it just now!
 
Day eight today! I feel remarkably well, however tired for some reason. I woke up, had a cup of coffee and took a nap for nearly 3 hours. Had something to eat and went to physical therapy. Had a different therapist today. She pushed me in a respectful manner. Do 3 sets of 5 instead of 2 sets of 5. Stepping upwards on a 4” step was today’s hurdle. Felt like I had climbed Mt. Everest. Strange how things we take for granted become such a hurdle. I am back home going steady with my polar cube once again. Thought I would write here and, yes, take a nap and listen to some music. I got this!
 
Hey there :wave:@jakemedic .
I had the nerve to head south for the winter and missed your new knee announcement!
You are doing well, I will confess that I sped read through your 4 pages but as far as I can tell, you are thriving, well with the exception of spilling water and a lateral turn out.
I think you were wise to find some humor in it.
I’m guessing, from seeing many people with that lateral rotation, that your external rotators are tight.
Think glute muscles and your main quadriceps muscle.
They usually relax as you literally relax, stopping the unconscious guarding that is happening.
So glad you are getting through it all with a sense of humor and adventure.
Oh, the places you’ll go with that knee.
 
Day eight today! I feel remarkably well, however tired for some reason. I woke up, had a cup of coffee and took a nap for nearly 3 hours. Had something to eat and went to physical therapy. Had a different therapist today. She pushed me in a respectful manner. Do 3 sets of 5 instead of 2 sets of 5. Stepping upwards on a 4” step was today’s hurdle. Felt like I had climbed Mt. Everest. Strange how things we take for granted become such a hurdle. I am back home going steady with my polar cube once again. Thought I would write here and, yes, take a nap and listen to some music. I got this!
Sounds like you’re moving at a good pace and are accepting the pace which works for you. I’m encouraged by your posts, Jake, thanks for keeping us updated. Stay strong!
 
I'm impressed you tried the step so early on! They had me on a step last week (2 different step exercises - 20 reps each) and it really set me back as my leg was so angry with me the next few days. Of course we all come into this surgery with different strengths and I've learned mine is not stairs - haha! After my 2 week appointment at the doctor to get stitches out, pt and having an x-ray I came home and melted for several hours - those naps are really good to take especially so soon after surgery - you need them!
 
Very impressive. I still can’t step up but oddly I can do down. The PT thinks I have tendonitis and the surgeon said it could be that the internal incision was slow to heal and I kept aggravating it by trying to do steps. I took a week off, did one step up day before yesterday, and had a big of a setback. So no steps for me for a bit.
 
I think it's pretty early in your recovery to be doing step-ups already. I hope your knee doesn't complain too much. If it does, you know what to do and not what to do! Have a blessed and low-pain day!
 
Today was a low key day. Did get a shower in and managed to take a much needed morning nap. My father in law stopped and we worked on solving the world’s problems. Wound looks good, still quite bruised and swollen. Tried to go a period of time without the polar cube, and that didn’t work all that well. I was back with it wrapped on my knee within 20 minutes. Going to make Patty melts for dinner with help from my bride. Did skip the second oxycodone with minimal increase in pain. Otherwise day was uneventful. Physical therapy again tomorrow.
 
Yep.
Baby knees squall like infants to tell us what they do and DON'T want.
I have a teenage knee now. It *thinks* it knows better so I have to set appropriate limits :heehee:
 
Today was a low key day. Did get a shower in and managed to take a much needed morning nap. My father in law stopped and we worked on solving the world’s problems. Wound looks good, still quite bruised and swollen. Tried to go a period of time without the polar cube, and that didn’t work all that well. I was back with it wrapped on my knee within 20 minutes. Going to make Patty melts for dinner with help from my bride. Did skip the second oxycodone with minimal increase in pain. Otherwise day was uneventful. Physical therapy again tomorrow.
Progress, Jake and it’s good progress. Seems like the knees will guide us if we listen, stubbornness will surely backfire I think. Enjoy the evening, thanks for the update. Stay Strong!
 
Today was a low key day. Did get a shower in and managed to take a much needed morning nap. My father in law stopped and we worked on solving the world’s problems. Wound looks good, still quite bruised and swollen. Tried to go a period of time without the polar cube, and that didn’t work all that well. I was back with it wrapped on my knee within 20 minutes. Going to make Patty melts for dinner with help from my bride. Did skip the second oxycodone with minimal increase in pain. Otherwise day was uneventful. Physical therapy again tomorrow.
Progress, Jake and it’s good progress. Seems like the knees will guide us if we listen, stubbornness will surely backfire I think. Enjoy the evening, thanks for the update. Stay Strong!
Thanks Jim, I appreciate you sir. We got this!
 
Yep.
Baby knees squall like infants to tell us what they do and DON'T want.
I have a teenage knee now. It *thinks* it knows better so I have to set appropriate limits :heehee:
So just FYI, I was a terrible teenager. :rotfl: I would show up or give my mom a picture of me in a uniform and she would say, would have never guessed you would have actually done something with your life. Unfortunately, I paid for it with damage to my back, hips and knees. Made much difference in many people over the years though. God Bless!
 
I went to the 6 inch step today at 2 weeks post op. I will say that the step is between two bars so I can use arm strength to help me push up. Otherwise I could not do it. I had a hip rea year ago and the leg is already weak. I haven’t been able to step up stairs with that leg for 10 years so I imagine there needs to be a lot of strengthening. Good luck everyone
 
I went to the 6 inch step today at 2 weeks post op. I will say that the step is between two bars so I can use arm strength to help me push up. Otherwise I could not do it. I had a hip rea year ago and the leg is already weak. I haven’t been able to step up stairs with that leg for 10 years so I imagine there needs to be a lot of strengthening. Good luck everyone
There were bars when I stepped up as well. I supplement my lack of leg strength with my upper body. I have a long way to go! But I have more time than I have money!
 
You still have a lot of healing to do so give yourself that time. The first few weeks especially your goal is to move a little and rest/heal a lot. First muscle to train as they say here is the patience muscle. You’re doing great but you’ll be using that ice for a long time….
 
Had a rough night of sleep for some reason last night. I was up at 0030 and again around 0500. Then my wife came in around 0800 and woke me to ask what time my PT appointment was. Of course it was set for 0900. So a quick cup of coffee, brush my teeth and it was off to PT. I had her observe my exercises, looking for poor form mostly. Got corrected once. Added some very minute squats, like nearly nonexistent. Came home and had a friend stop by. Nice to visit with him. My leg remains swollen and somewhat painful, but not horrible, back onto the ice machine and that feels amazing. Anyhow I feel a nap coming on. Overall, a good day!
 
Sleep seems to be a real challenge, I tend to nap a bit during the day and when I have a day with PT and a shower that nights a bit better. I’m off the oxy at this point and the pain isn't significantly higher so I’m happy about that. Sounds like you had a day, and it’s one more day of recovery in the books. Good on you Jake, stay strong.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom