TKR Jake’s Got a New Knee

I was in the hospital for 21 days back then and it was extremely difficult just to get to the door in the hospital room. I had bilateral pulmonary embolisms secondary to long COVID.
Oh my goodness, how awful! Thankfully you recovered from that misfortune.
Sounds like you had a pleasant physical therapy session today and you certainly have a loving caregiver in your wife.
Good PT, Loving Wife and BoneSmart Buds = Trifecta!
Lots of comfort to you!
Yes! all that PLUS my polar cube! Makes a huge difference for sure! Today been walking past the first bathroom to go to the master bath. No real reason, just nice to stroll a bit!
 
my leg is a bit sore tonight. My bride says I need to,wait till closer to bedtime for pain medicine, which I don’t disagree with. Had her change the water bottles in my polar cube which helped significantly. Funny, I can tell when it needs to be changed. Had a nice afternoon with a nice nap. That makes for a good day overall.
 
Pain is about the same as before the surgery except it is in the thigh versus the knee.
I arguably had more pain in my thigh, just after my TKR because of the tourniquet applied. I’m sure, just like mine, that caused a bunch of muscular trauma from the pressure.

You have a great attitude! We are all so excited to hear more about your journey.:wave:
 
My bride says I need to,wait till closer to bedtime for pain medicine, which I don’t disagree with.
Medication should be taken as prescribed around the clock. Waiting to take a dose means you are not staying ahead of the pain. Many of our members set an alarm to wake up when it's time for medication.
 
I just woke up at 0130. Iceless, in pain and needed the restroom. Boom, just like this, I did all three without waking my bride!! Carrying the bottles were easy, wrapped in a kitchen towel. That was where the pain meds were too, and well everyone knows where the other thing occurs . Made it back, switched the bottles crawled back into bed and started playing some music and enjoying my polar cube again! Oh yea, charged my earbuds too! Take that knee replacement!
 
I just woke up at 0130. Iceless, in pain and needed the restroom. Boom, just like this, I did all three without waking my bride!! Carrying the bottles were easy, wrapped in a kitchen towel. That was where the pain meds were too, and well everyone knows where the other thing occurs . Made it back, switched the bottles crawled back into bed and started playing some music and enjoying my polar cube again! Oh yea, charged my earbuds too! Take that knee replacement!
Ok that's quite a feat! Knowing me I would have dropped the frozen water bottles on my feet, breaking toes in the process haha! I use a tote bag I can hang on my walker for some things, and I have a carry bag made for walkers strapped on the front of it. I'm also impressed you got out of bed so smoothly - I had trouble lifting my leg so it was a multiple step process for a few days until the quad muscles kicked in.
 
I just woke up at 0130. Iceless, in pain and needed the restroom. Boom, just like this, I did all three without waking my bride!! Carrying the bottles were easy, wrapped in a kitchen towel. That was where the pain meds were too, and well everyone knows where the other thing occurs . Made it back, switched the bottles crawled back into bed and started playing some music and enjoying my polar cube again! Oh yea, charged my earbuds too! Take that knee replacement!
Ok that's quite a feat! Knowing me I would have dropped the frozen water bottles on my feet, breaking toes in the process haha! I use a tote bag I can hang on my walker for some things, and I have a carry bag made for walkers strapped on the front of it. I'm also impressed you got out of bed so smoothly - I had trouble lifting my leg so it was a multiple step process for a few days until the quad muscles kicked in.
I learned a trick with my THR, all those years ago, that sprung into action with my TKR. It’s called “hook your foot”. My new knee and leg is weak as heck! I use my left leg, with my foot wrapped around my ankle, to lift my weak leg into bed. Then I can velcro my pad into place and enjoy the cooling! My pain is there, about the same as before surgery. It too will pass, eventually. I will get a tote bag for nights when my bride sleeps through ice and pain med needs. Not much she can do for me with the other “need” besides looking out!
 
I learned that trick on my first TKR and had a lot less trouble with the second. First time I had my husband helping me and there were some painful incidents when he moved just slightly too fast or there was a small jolt. The margin for error was almost nil. Then I tried using a strap and wasn’t always that good at it. It worked much better when I started using my other leg. This knee I started out using my other leg on day one. The nurse at the hospital was surprised at how easily I got back into bed after my first walk. Ditto with the PT. They did’t even have to put me on the short table after this knee. Used a stepstool (good leg), sat on the table, and lifted operated leg up with good leg.

I banished my husband to the guest room during early recovery so I could entertain myself with the lights on when I couldn’t sleep, and also had all my surgery stuff set up on the other side of the bed.
 
Wow, impressive! It was quite the feat accomplishing all of that by yourself at 1:30AM. I'll bet your wife was impressed also. I hope today is a good day and the weekend even better. Take care! :)
@jakemedic
 
If I used my left leg to hook on to my right leg (surgery leg) - I'd need a body builder to hook on to the left leg to pick them both up - haha! My left knee needs replacing and I'm not sure it would tolerate it - but now I'm interested in trying it! I had one of those things I got at amazon.com that have a loop to hook on to the foot with a strap to grab my foot and lift it (or lower it). That worked well for me for the 5 days or so until my quads suddenly worked and didn't need it.

My after-surgery pain was more in my entire leg than my knee - I was super bruised and they're just now fading out. Honestly being 3.5 weeks out I am finding it hard to remember - the surgery and the meds really fog up that time although I felt ok.

Sounds like you're doing great! Happy Friday!
 
Hello! My problem now is that I’m freezing from my polar cube. My wife gave me a heated blanket that I’m using over my good leg and both feet. I took a little nap and woke up shivering. The heated blanket feels amazing. Staying ahead of pain pretty well. They did give me a nerve block, but it is unclear if it worked at all. So far, no real change in pain levels. Raising the recliner was one of my best ideas yet! Makes it easier to get in and out of the recliner.
 
Yes!!!! A lot of us tended to become sensitive to cold during the early postop period and found the ice machines made our whole body chilled! Nothing to do but bundle up and ask our darling spouses to prep some hot beverages!
 
I actually did it! After being told in my 40’s that I’d be lucky to make it to 50 before TKR, countless steroid injections (in both knees), I finally took the plunge and had a right knee replacement today at 60.5 yrs. Still in the hospital, got up and walked to the bathroom, with assistance of course, and significant pain. Tired again, listening to music and relaxing.
Well done Jake. I am 9 weeks post op and so grateful for my new knee. Had a LTKR on 30/11/23 and am kicking goals every day now. I have more range of motion and flexibility than I’ve had for ten years!! And I’m only a few months post op!! Amazing. I wish I had have done it sooner now. Everyone’s recovery is different and the info on this site is brilliant. Mindset is everything on this journey, self compassion essential. Thinking of you
 
I actually did it! After being told in my 40’s that I’d be lucky to make it to 50 before TKR, countless steroid injections (in both knees), I finally took the plunge and had a right knee replacement today at 60.5 yrs. Still in the hospital, got up and walked to the bathroom, with assistance of course, and significant pain. Tired again, listening to music and relaxing.
Well done Jake. I am 9 weeks post op and so grateful for my new knee. Had a LTKR on 30/11/23 and am kicking goals every day now. I have more range of motion and flexibility than I’ve had for ten years!! And I’m only a few months post op!! Amazing. I wish I had have done it sooner now. Everyone’s recovery is different and the info on this site is brilliant. Mindset is everything on this journey, self compassion essential. Thinking of you
Appreciate you taking the time to respond and provide encouragement! For sure, I am thrilled with my new knee thus far. Only been 3 days but still being able to ambulate around slowly, yet with confidence. The walker is definitely taking the blunt of it. My knee is sore but nothing the ice, rest, elevation and medicine can’t handle. So far, I would say I’m blessed. But each day will be different, that’s for sure. I’m positive I will have down days too.
 
I'm very sensitive to cold and woke up one night at 1am with such bad chills (maybe 10 days post op?) that lasted almost an hour - woke up my husband because it scared me so much and I almost threw up from it. Never had anything like that before. I stopped with the ice machine after that. I have heated blankets for the recliner and bed and the house heat is cranked up too. I think I'm in the minority but I've felt better without the ice machine. It was making me miserable. My swelling has gone down great. I think I must have a built in ice in my veins or something lol.

I've had this ice machine since the summer just to ice my arthritic knees and it didn't bother me as much then.
 
Funny, I can tell when it needs to be changed.
I remember that every night, when my water warmed up, and I needed to change out the ice bottles, my knee would wake me up. I was alone, and used my rolling water that had a seat to carry my ice machine into the kitchen to exchange the bottles. Once I got that cold water back on my knee, I went right back to sleep.

I had my TKR in June, but still froze. During the day, I went outside and sat on the deck in 90 degree temps to warm up. At night, a heated throw could be used. You might try the throw at night to help keep you warm.
 
If I used my left leg to hook on to my right leg (surgery leg) - I'd need a body builder to hook on to the left leg to pick them both up - haha! My left knee needs replacing and I'm not sure it would tolerate it - but now I'm interested in trying it! I had one of those things I got at amazon.com that have a loop to hook on to the foot with a strap to grab my foot and lift it (or lower it). That worked well for me for the 5 days or so until my quads suddenly worked and didn't need it.

My after-surgery pain was more in my entire leg than my knee - I was super bruised and they're just now fading out. Honestly being 3.5 weeks out I am finding it hard to remember - the surgery and the meds really fog up that time although I felt ok.

Sounds like you're doing great! Happy Friday!
Well done Jake! Since we are on parallel paths I am paying close attention to your posts. I posted in my thread so I won’t repeat myself but the one plus was I slept much better last night so I feel rested at least. Pain is a bit more pronounced but nothing I can’t handle. Stay strong.
 
Happy Saturday! Decent, all things considered, sleep last night. Changed my own water bottles again last night with the aid of a pull string bag the hospital gave me to put my clothes in. Worked well, but wasn’t pretty for sure. Pain is moderate this morning, maybe a 5-6. So I took my meds and am anxiously awaiting my bride getting up to move my polar cube back to the living room. Sitting with the heated blanket, and I think this is the first time in days I haven’t been cold.

Hospital called me last evening to check in. They want me to take my temperature a couple times a day and call if my temp gets to 100f as then the doc would put me in an antibiotic. I think the chills and cold is secondary to the continuous icing, yet appreciate their concern.

Been doing some light exercises, like squeezing my butt cheeks, ankle pumps and tightening my thigh muscles. Nothing too strenuous, yet following their recommendations. I am walking around the house, using the ”far” bathroom instead of the closest one, and even let the greyhound outside once. Anyway, I think I’m going to make my way to the kitchen for a well deserved cup of coffee. I appreciate everyone here very much!
 
We appreciate you! Thanks for joining us to share your journey. I am enjoying your progress updates.

I'm trying to envision the pull string bag idea you used for the water bottles and visualizing you dragging it behind you like Linus from Charlie Brown with his blanket, ha-ha. Whatever works! :wink:
Happy Saturday...hope its a good one! :SUNsmile:
@jakemedic
 
I have a strap on softside organizer on my walker with a bottle holder and multiple pockets which would hold things like my iPad and phone. I joked with my PT that I would switch to a cane when she found me one with a coke holder. The first time I wanted to carry something like a load of laundry I put it into a trash bag and held it against the handle of my walker so that the weight didn’t unbalance my gait.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom