TKR JackiFL's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way to go !! You are doing great. Im really impressed with the way the scars look. Between you and blue !! So inspirational. And your bravery. Im learning reading these threads. Im going to download that app on my android right now . Thanks to referee. Also I wanna make sure I dont miss a med call. Keep up the great work. And remember. Take your time .
 
I'm SO fortunate that my sister was able to fly in to stay with me. I love Lee but he's not a caretaker nor is he around much. Nancy has been a godsend. Her husband has had two hips and one knee replaced (or vice versa?) so she pretty much knows what's normal.

She's leaving on Tuesday morning and I'm really going to miss her.

I love watching Blue's thread, knowing I'm a week behind her - helps me see that things will get better, slow and steady wins this race!
 
@icep707 and @JackiFL , thanks for reading my updates :) I'm glad they are of use to someone.

icep, you're doing just the right thing reading the different posts, preparing yourself. It all helps, that's for sure.

Jacki, I love seeing your progress as well. I don't think a week is much of a difference in these early stages, I look to see how YOU'RE doing to gauge my progress as well. And, you are really doing great, keep it up :dancy:
 
Sleep breakthrough (sort of) last night!

Took pain pill at ten then slept til 2:30. Awoke, potty break, back to bed with pain pill (and a Hebert's Candy Mansion white chocolate Geneva-that must have been the key lol).... and awoke at 8:30!

Yes, I hurt. Having some toast and Percocet for breakfast.... But I slept six hours!!!!! AND laying flat on my back. (I'm a stomach sleeper.)

Hooray!!!!

Jacki
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon @Josephine

Here is what I've been doing for daily PT (12 days post op):

1. Ankle pumps, sets of ten, usually 5-10 times a day, as I'm laying or sitting around.

2. Quad sets, sets of ten, no bolster under ankle. Usually morning and afternoon.

3. Gluteal sets, set of ten, 3-5 times a day as I'm laying around.

4. Abduction & Adduction, sets of ten, usually morning and afternoon.

5. Heel slides, sets from 7-10, usually morning and afternoon.

6. Short Arc quads, sets of 10, usually morning and afternoon.

7. Straight leg raises, using the PT thick bandy thing, sets of ten, usually morning and afternoon.

I also use walker to get to bathroom each time as well as take a tour of the house each morning and afternoon (maybe a ten minute walk each time).

I sit up in living room chair for maybe an hour or so midday then again for about 45 minutes in late afternoon/early evening.

I elevate and ice three times a day, two hours each time.

I think I'm ready to add more - so do I do these same exercises 3x per day (instead of current 2x) or do I add more reps to the current morning and afternoon PT?

TIA,
Jacki
 
1. Ankle pumps, sets of 10, usually 5-10 times a day - those are just anti-clot activities and okay
2. Quad sets, sets of 10, no bolster under ankle twice daily - do 5
3. Gluteal sets, set of 10, 3-5 times a day - do 5
4. Abduction & Adduction, sets of 10, twice daily - do 5
5. Heel slides, sets from 7-10, twice daily - do 5
6. Short Arc quads, sets of 10, twice daily - do 5
7. Straight leg raises, using the PT thick bandy thing, sets of 10, twice daily - do 5 once a day
These suggestions are just for the early weeks. They can be reinstated around week 4.

I elevate and ice three times a day, two hours each time.
Do it more. Any time you are sitting, elevate and ice. You can't do it too much, especially given the amount of swelling you have. I often slept with ice on in the first few weeks.
I think I'm ready to add more - so do I do these same exercises 3x per day (instead of current 2x) or do I add more reps to the current morning and afternoon PT?
Not yet - the first three weeks should be dedicated to rest, elevation and icing and a few simple exercises.

It seems nobody has given you the recovery articles so here they are now with the key ones for you in bold.


First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
-
rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
And here are some very crucial articles

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs


Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling


Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
Hi Jacki ... Came back and read through your thread. I love, love. love you sense of humour. It is fantastic and you seem so on top of things and obviously your humour is helping you through. Sorry your sister is going - you will miss her so much, but I think you can cope and maybe Lee can step up a bit do you think? Some seem to. Has he seen a video of a knee replacement? Maybe if he watches one he will realise the help you need. I tried to watch a video of a TKR, but got to the part where they opened the knee and flexed the original knee joint and that was enough for me. But I did see the tray with all the "tools" on it. And you had both knees done. I think you are amazing. Can you imagine what my thread would be like if I had both knees done?

Did I miss it in your thread about why your TKRs were 5 days apart? Basically it really is a BTKR, but the different dates have me a bit confused.

A 6-hour stretch of sleep is amazing - especially at your early stage. I bet you felt heaps better, though I have a sneaking suspicion the chocolate might have something to do with it?????? Chocolate is good for everything. That's what I think anyway. :whistle:

It will be sad to see your sister go on Tuesday (which is tomorrow here). Apart from that, which will undoubtedly be a sad thing, I hope your week goes well and you continue to make great strides (so to speak) in your recovery.

Take Care and be kind to yourself ... (((((((((((((((HHHHHHHHHHHH))))))))))))))))))))))) Ellen
 
Thanks so much, NBK!

My OS originally preferred to do the knees five days apart so I was following his lead - but when his PA rescheduled my surgeries for the same day, I went with it....
It WAS nice to get it over with - one surgery, one anesthesia, etc. However, I would have revised the expectations I had for myself and my recovery!

Had a rough coupla days with swelling in my left knee. Been treating it well and it's doing much better today.

Two weeks & two days since my surgery! I'm in a somewhat comfortable recovery pattern (gentle PT, lots of resting and elevating and icing with some short walks around the house) and my ROM is still pretty good (NO clue why - even my PT is surprised) at 106 and 116 today.

More later, going to noodle around on the website for a bit :-)

Jacki
 
[Bonesmart.org] JackiFL's Recovery Thread
@JackiFL, continue to take things slow and easy---it's the best way. Follow those BoneSmart mantras to the letter for the best possible recovery. And remember that no two knees are alike, and they do not heal alike---so expect some differences for the first several months.

The minute you realize you may have overdone things----elevate, ice, rest, and take pain meds. And since we are all human---you will overdo from time to time---we can't seem to help ourselves.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
And remember that no two knees are alike, and they do not heal alike---so expect some differences for the first several months.
Yes!!! After my BTKR, my right knee was my "problem child"---you would expect the knees to recover in a similar manner, but this is not the case.

I think I'm ready to add more - so do I do these same exercises 3x per day (instead of current 2x) or do I add more reps to the current morning and afternoon PT?
What do your knees have to say about hsi? It is not what you think---the knees are in charge and it is up to them!

You need to take these things slowly---it is better to error on the side of slowness rather than rush and try to progress faster. Remember, all of your hard work does not translate into a faster recovery---your surgical knees set up the schedule for that and you just go along for the ride.

Do not work harder---work smarter---and let your knees rest and heal---ti is not about eh quantity of exercises that you do---nothing will push this recovery faster.
 
Tim,

Josephine looked over my exercises and cut them down, not an increase. I'm following her plan - and doing better since! I love, love, love having others to talk to who've "been there, done that" since if I had to work from what my OS office gave me, I'd be lost :-)

Jacki

PS my left is my recalcitrant knee lol
 
It will be sad to see your sister go on Tuesday (which is tomorrow here). Apart from that, which will undoubtedly be a sad thing, I hope your week goes well and you continue to make great strides (so to speak) in your recovery.

Take Care and be kind to yourself ... (((((((((((((((HHHHHHHHHHHH))))))))))))))))))))))) Ellen

OH boy do I miss my sister! My daughters, mother and husband have stepped into the void she left and have been helping me out... but there was something so comforting about having her here.

Thanks so much,
Jacki :-)
 
Hi, Jacki, it's great to hear how well you're doing!! I'm sure there is a void that only your sister can fill, when I had my previous knee surgeries my daughter came to help for a couple of weeks, and that's exactly how I felt when she had to leave :boohoo: I had a couple of close girlfriends that spent soooooo much time with me, helping me with so much, but it just wasn't the same.

Just keep doing what you're doing, obviously it's working for you :)
 
Sisters have a special bond, don't they?
 
Two and a half weeks today!

Resting, icing and elevating pretty much continuously. Following the basic exercises and truly doing well today.

In spite of our lousy weather, I'm smiling! I feel like I've turned a corner.... the surgery is behind me, the recovery is ahead of me and it is definitely looking UP!

What a difference from two weeks ago, when I first stood up and used the walker to get to the bathroom in the hospital. IT HAPPENS ~ it does get better, slowly and steadily... one step at a time!

Woohoo!!!
Jacki
 
It's been bothering me since I got home that my times seemed off on my surgery day. In the past, I've remembered the post op "fun" but this time, my mind seemed to be blank.

Brought it up to my husband and he filled in some of those blanks. My surgery was scheduled for two pm and the OS was running about fifteen minutes late. I vividly remember going to pre op and then into the OR where there was some joking about accents and regional word choices (water fountain vs bubbler, creek vs crik, etc). Then the mask.... Nighty night all!

The next thing I remember is being wheeled into my room around 8:30pm, with most of my family there. (Surgery was expected to take about 3 hours then 60 min in recovery then to my room after that.)

Turns out that while in recovery, they had a hard time getting on top of my pain levels so kept adjusting meds and checking me out and so on. The OS told Lee that I'd be released to my room once they'd gotten a handle on my pain.

I didn't remember a thing about this until Lee told me today.... and it eased its way back into my head.... I remember annoying voices that kept asking me about my pain. I remember being shifted about in the bed (head up, feet up, head down, flat on my back) like some crazy carnival ride! And I remember being told that I'd done a great job and there were people waiting to see me. I cracked a joke that I hoped they weren't talking about the afterlife's waiting room!

Mystery solved :-)

Another reason that I'm glad I had the knees replaced together - don't have to worry about doing this again soon lol My OS usually does GA with nerve block but no block on the bilateral patients.

Jacki
 
Amazing how those meds work. I remember them wheeling me into the or and someone saying tty hey were giving me something to relax me. I saw 2 people getting their or clothes on and that was it until recovery when I was being told they were taking xrays and my family was waiting for me in my room. That is exactly had I wanted it no noise no pain lol
 
Spherical Leather Ball Sunday lol!

No real plans today other than "Ice, Ice, Baby" and elevate continuously.

My daughters and grandkids were here yesterday and those little ones did their best to both wear me out and raise my spirits! I do miss taking care of them.

I'm managing to sleep in 5-6 hour stretches now. Not often but often enough. I stopped setting the pain med alarm during the night; works for me to get slightly better sleep.

Hoping that this new week, new month brings even more victories to us all! :-)

Jacki
[Bonesmart.org] JackiFL's Recovery Thread
This is Justin using my walker and pretending he's a race care driver. He plays "pogo stick" with my cane. This little guy makes me smile!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom