Guest viewing is limited

TKR JackiFL's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm writing to thank @Josephine for her help with activity levels and PT.

I think that my ROM is so good, at not even three weeks post op, because I've paid attention to the information presented here and taken it to heart.

Literally, if I'm sitting down, I elevate and ice my knees. I don't push too hard. I'm kind to my sawed off bones and brandy new joints. I'm patient with my limitations and understand that it's not forever, it's just for now.

Forever grateful that I found you all before my surgery. THANK YOU! :-)
 
Justin is a little cutey. Love the red hair, we have a grandson that has red hair.

It is always nice to have family stop by. Grandkids just make your day, lift your spirits, and make you feel better.
Sounds like you are coming along great and deserve a day of elevating and icing.
 
Thank you! I'm really relaxing today and sucking up the silence hahahaha!

I also have a ten month old granddaughter named Jenna and a third baby on the way in July.

Justin understands about my knees; he's never known me to walk without my cane. He's fascinated by my incisions and we are planning when we will be able to take walks together. He's my little partner in fun. :-)
He's always been so patient about my limitations and so kind when I look like I'm struggling. For a three year old, he's quite the wise old man!

I'm blessed, in so many ways.

Jacki
 
He's always been so patient about my limitations and so kind when I look like I'm struggling. For a three year old, he's quite the wise old man!

I'm blessed, in so many ways.

Jacki
And a kid with a great imagination. Who needs an expensive toy when you have a walker "race car"? :)
 
He really does crack me up... the race car walker, the cane that's a pogo stick.

He sat on my bed with me yesterday and we did puzzles, read some books and shared strawberries & cereal.

We also listened to his favorite songs (Psy's Gangnam Style, Raffi's Baby Beluga and Ernie's Rubber Ducky) while we noshed :-)
 
Hoping that everyone in "wintery" areas doesn't really get six more weeks of winter!

I know my sister (back in Massachusetts) told me that they are looking at three snowstorms this coming week!

Stay warm & safe, everyone!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoy your positive attitude. Thats the way to be. Im positive alot ! some family members might disagree though. I too have a four year old granddaughter. They sure bring out the kid in us. Keep up the great work ill be watching your recovery from afar.
 
Isn't that just the best age? Of course, I've been saying that about every age that he's been through lol

Thank you @icep707 ~ it's wonderful to have a place like this to come and realize that what I fear, what I worry about and what I'm doing are all (mostly lol) normal! Other than my brother in law who has had three joints replaced (arthrogryposis), I've got no other context for all that I've been going thru.

Jacki
 
Tomorrow is my three week "surgiversary"! PT came today and put me thru my paces. Still doing well with my ROM and pain level. I'll see her again on Wednesday.

I see my OS on Friday morning and she thinks he's going to discharge me to the outpatient PT at that point. She said he likes to see close to 110 ROM as a marker when making that decision.

So.... what experiences have you (all) had with outpatient PT? Do you get the same person each time? Is it still individual or more of a group situation?

TIA,
Jacki
 
It depends on your health plan/PT office. I had the same PT every time.
 
Last home PT appt today. Graduated to a cane yesterday... still keeping the walker handy for bad days, bad moments, longer walks.

I'm doing okay - don't feel like I'm making major strides but don't feel like I'm stuck in a particular spot either. Slow and steady, gradual progress. Whodathunk it? It worked/works! :-)

My knees are 108 and 115 today. About half of my steri-strips have come off. My incisions look pretty good and I'll see my OS on Friday morning. Then I'll start with the outpatient PT. Each knee really has its own recovery schedule!

I'd do it again in a heartbeat... with realistic expectations and my family's help.

Things I didn't know:

Nurses really do make the world go 'round!

Some PT are not the type to actively listen to what the patient has to say. My home PT (Pam) has been great to me, esp this last week. I'm grateful!

CPM was something that my OS prescribed (up to six hours per day while in hospital). He didn't give an explanation as to why that was his usual routine for BTKR. I didn't ask, either. I did it post op day 1 for three hours and post op day two for two hours before declining to do it any more. My ROM decreased significantly after using it. No clue why. I don't know what would have made it more effective. I'm no expert but it seemed like, in MY particular case, that the machine may not have been set up correctly.

There is no possible way to ice and elevate too much :D

A shower, clean clothes and fresh sheets really can swing my mood in the other direction.

My Kindle (complete with Netflix, Hulu, Facebook, Scribd, email and headphones) has been a wonderful thing to use while recuperating. I'm a lucky girl.

Thanks for reading this far. I'm off for my evening stroll around the house followed by some fruit juice and Jeopardy!

Jacki

Three weeks and one day since my BTKR :-)
 
Thank you. Doing okay with the physical side of things.

I've always been a person "on the go" even with my bad knees. This "sitting around the house", while totally necessary, is killing me!

I'm so used to doing for others - it's hard to let them reciprocate - but I AM doing it, and thanking them gratefully.

For me, this week, the toughest battle I'm raging is inside my head.....

Jacki
 
Went for a walk outside, using my cane. Just down three houses and back. It was a nice change of pace.

Knee ROM same when PT measured today. Said since I'm fat that I probably could only expect to get to 120 on each since the thigh will be in the way. He said it MUCH nicer than that, though :-)

Really looking forward to outpatient PT next week and having those steri-strips gone.

That's all for now,
Jacki
 
Sounds like you are doing great. I am jealous that you can go out and walk. It keeps snowing and is icy here. I keep telling hubby I could recuperate much better in Florida. Lol keep up the good work.
 
Way to go Jacki. You are doing great. Lucky you get to watch soo much on your kindle ill probably do the same. Cabin fever sure can be irritating. plus lack of sleep. Ill be on the otherside Monday. I posted my pre op experience. I sort of hyperventilated. Well ill keep in touch. Keep up the great work !!!
 
Thank you! Rough day mentally today. I want to do more than I physically can. It's so frustrating!

I did two short walks outside plus my exercises (laying in bed ones, stand at the sink ones and sit in the chair ones).

And I'm physically tired. I did elevate and ice twice for three hours each time.

I'm also hungry - Lee is not a wonderful cook and my daughter specializes in take-out. I've eaten more Atkins protein bars in the last three weeks than in the entire year previously, I think.

Dr appt in morning. Going to ask my daughter to stop on the way home and get something yummy for our lunch.

Jacki

I'm wishing you nothing but the best, icep! You'll be on this side before you know it! :D

Traveler - you're welcome to flee the snow and come on down :-)
 
Saw the PA this morning. Steri-strips gone. Maybe bathe in a week.

Somewhat reluctantly gave me an RX for 40 Percocet. Said that I should start weaning off pain meds.

Exhausted from all the walking and in & out of car. Stopped at Friendlys for a tuna roll. Not comfortable. Can't wait to get home to ice and elevate. Hour ride back. Sigh.
 
Looking around the room.... Thanks for inviting me to join the ODIC!

I'll just nap over here in the corner til I feel better :-)


(Edited to add: slept with ice on for four hours. Feeling more human, finally. Going to be kinder to my knees )
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Odd night becoming my norm...

Pill at ten pm but no sleep til maybe 1:40? Woke at 4:15 am in lot of pain. Took Percocet. Couldn't get back to sleep. Finally slept at 6:15 or so.

Awake now at 9:15. Percocet. Lee gone; home by noon. Waiting for knees to stop screaming so I can get iced up snd elevate them.

Kids & grandkids over later so that'll be nice. :-)

UGH! Keep reminding myself that this is only for NOW not for ever!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom