TKR JackiFL's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great report, Jacki!! Here's hoping the good news continues.
 
It was a nice reminder that my life isn't ALL about my knees LOL!!!

My surgery was 11 weeks ago yesterday - and although I'd do it again - I'm glad I (fingers crossed) won't have to!

Hugs,
Jacki


BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Yes, it does help to have an outside person notice your progress.
 
I overdid it, again, so what else is new!
On the plus side, it seems like I'm bouncing back quicker when I do :D

I'm going to be kind to myself this weekend.... and I hope you are each kind to yourself/ves as well.... let's treat ourselves like we'd treat a really cool friend!

Hugs and TGIW!
Jacki
[Bonesmart.org] JackiFL's Recovery Thread



BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Surgery 12 weeks recap

I can walk without using a cane although I'm use it at times when I go out, just as a "heads up" to others.

I'm taking two Aleve in the morning and two at night. Occasionally take extra strength Tylenol during the day. Still taking Hydrocodone when I overdo it (2-3 times a week) and icing my knees most days but just in the late afternoon or evening.

Driving is fine, easier than being a passenger, since the driver's seat is powered and easy to adjust to find just the right spot.

I'm SO glad that I've been able to babysit my grandbabies (ages 1 & 3) for a couple of hours with no help.

I'm able to do housework but I don't get up on a step stool so I can only clean what I can reach.

I walk up and down my street as well as use the NuStep machine at the gym a couple of days a week (30 min at level 3) and do 45 minutes of exercise in heated pool at the gym, 2 days a week (NOT the same day as NuStep). I still use the motorized cart when doing grocery shopping BUT
I went to Michael's yesterday and meandered around walking for an hour - it was awesome!

I can get into (and now out of!) my garden tub pretty well. I've missed taking a tubbie for relaxation so that's a big plus for me!

I still cannot kneel and I miss being able to just pop myself down onto the floor.

I've found it difficult to find a chair that is still comfortable after sitting in it for 20 minutes. The best chair right now is my adjustable office chair!

All in all, each week is better than the previous week. And that's so much better than life before surgery where every week was worse than the week previous. I'd do it again. It's better than it was.

I admire those who do one knee and GO back to do the other - I'm glad I did both at once because I doubt I could muster up the initiative to go back for the other knee!

As an aside, my orthopedic surgeon was involved in an extremely serious motorcycle accident; things were touch and go for awhile with him. I'm praying for his swift and sure recovery. He has helping hands and I hope that he'll fully recover.


BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I've been avoiding the gym and I've just been doing most of my regular daily activities..... but I think I need to go back since I seem to be stuck with regards to ROM.

I'm not much of a physical activity kind of woman; never have been.

Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh Hope it's worth it.......


BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Found out that I have a uti. No wonder I felt like crud. On meds since last night and already feeling better.

This chick is going to the gym tomorrow!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] JackiFL's Recovery Thread



BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Glad you found out about the UTI!!! I had the same thing before surgery and didn't even know it!!

I admire those who do one knee and GO back to do the other - I'm glad I did both at once because I doubt I could muster up the initiative to go back for the other knee!
:iagree: They are much braver than I am!!!!
 
I wrenched my left knee yesterday, pretty badly. Seems like just a sprain, not bone.
I was trying to stand up on my grandson's toddler bed - yeah, it didn't seem like a good idea but he wanted me to pull off one of his wall decals.
Haven't had pain like that since the surgery. Forced myself to walk it out since I was babysitting the two kids (ages 3.5 and 1) and couldn't just lay there. Still had two more hours to go!
Iced it when I got home and twice today so far. Still taking my Aleve and just doing my best not to aggravate it further.
Hope everyone else is doing well.... off to read some updates :-)
Jacki



BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Iced it for the day and now in a hot bath soaking it. Babysitting again tomorrow and then Friday into Saturday do today is my only day to rest it.
Just a little setback. Reminder to self that this is a mechanical knee and won't always work like a natural one.
I'll live lol :D




BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hey Jacki , long time no read . Its good to hear from you. All is good with me . No complaints. Hope your recovery continues positively. Got to go. Best wishes Iceman
 
I'm officially at five months tomorrow - and torn between being happy that I had it done and wishing that I was back to "normal".

I'm not on any pain meds. I can't get down on the floor with the grandkids and I can't kneel, either. There's plenty of good and a bit of bad, still.

I know, I know..... A year to full recovery. Have I mentioned that I lack patience with myself?

Out to dinner and a movie but I'll be back :-)


BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Jacki it's lovely to hear from you. It seems like ages. I'am a couple of weeks ahead of you but still, having problems. I've just posted something to Josephine on my thread. It's the docs reports about my knee I'm going in next week to have it drained and cortisone shots. Like you my patience is somewhat running thin and I do get very frustrated. I can't kneel. I can get on the floor but to do that I have to do a triceps dip to the floor from the sofa lowering myself slowly. Then to get up I have to turn sideways, roll and get into a press up position and push with my big butt sticking right up in the air. Not a graceful nor a pretty sight believe me! I tend not to go on the floor if I can help it. My upper body is about the best part on me at the moment because if this! Lol xx I'm still on morphine and paracetamol (Tylenol). I think my recovery is going to be a year the way things are going.

Ooh, you have a great time at the movies. It's been so long since I last went. Please enjoy your dinner too. Nice one x x x x x big hugs x x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
Wow I did not realize that the cuts were that long, yikes. Hope all is well and you are feeling better:yes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom