Guest viewing is limited

TKR JackiFL's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started to write this to Tim but it applies to everyone here....

you've been an awesome, gracious & upbeat person while I've been researching and deciding about my knees and you still are!
[Bonesmart.org] JackiFL's Recovery Thread

THANK YOU!
 
No shower tonight; knees swollen. Elevated and icing!

On Percocet 7.5 every four hours, trying to stay on the clock. Do you set an alarm for middle of the night or just take when you wake?

Thanks,
Jacki
 
Thank yo very much---all of us here on the forum family have been helped by each other---and that is who we are and what we do---we just, as you will---keep paying it forward.
 
Welcome home!! It sounds like you're getting better. Just expect your progress to be measured in very small successes for a while. Your body has been through a lot!!!

As for the dose of pills at night, see how you do with just trying to sleep with no alarm. Normally, your body will wake you when it's getting close to the time to need another dose. But....if you find you sleep so soundly that you are in fairly significant pain when you do awaken, then set an alarm. The goal is to stay on that schedule as closely as you can.

Be sure and have something like crackers or cookies (I had brownie bites) by your bed to eat with the pain medication. That helps your tummy. AND....be sure you're on prunes, prune juice and/or stool softeners as constipation is a side effect of the pain meds.
 
Thanks so much. Woke right at midnight and again at 3:45 so no worry about alarms.

(hushed voice) I've had no BM issues; even had two in the hospital. (end hushed voice). But I love the idea of brownie bites!

Well, it's off to take a potty break then try and sleep for a bit more.

Good evening all!
Jacki
 
Post op day six

Only did morning exercises since I started swelling a lot. Did too much yesterday so I did more resting, icing and elevating this afternoon.

Had a glorious shower then dressed into clean shorts and tank top..... definitely felt more human afterward.

PT is coming tomorrow between 11 and 1. The Coumadin clinic called with adjustment to my med for tonight and next two nights.

All in all, pretty happy with the way the day turned out :D

Jacki
 
@Jamie tonight I have cashews and chocolate cookies for my pain med breaks during the night.... nummy!
 
GREAT! All you need is a bite or two of something to make the difference with the meds.
 
Up for the midnight meds now. Cashews with this dose.

I can see myself becoming incredibly bored (and boring) if I don't figure out what to do while resting.... what did you all find helpful?

Thanks,
Jacki
 
Jacki. You are a inspiration to me. Your courage is commendable. Im pre op till February 10 . I dont have hesitation at all , very confident in my preparation. im now considering taking my kodiak polar ice machine to the hospital or have my girlfriend bring it. I want ice early and as often as possible. And I think I will set a alarm for my meds. I will take accordingly and keep a log. After all im sure ill be bored too. I dvr ( digital video record )alot of movies on my tv ,over the last 2 months in preparation for the boredom. Well great to hear you have such ROM. Thats very good. Remember you dont want to be part of the ODIC. So be patient. Keep us posted
 
Icep707 - you sound ready to go!

I know that I'm a candidate for the ODIC (heck, it's the way I've lived my life for the most part "all or nothing") but am trying really hard to be aware and be careful.

I also dvr'ed a bunch of movies plus I have a lot of shows that I need to get caught up with!

I don't think that my ROM has much to do with anything I've done, specifically. I do have a lot of pain tolerance so taking the meds by the clock has really helped me. The homemade ice/slush bags are working really well! Reading everything here, over and over, has really helped. Turned on a few of the Ortho nurses to this site :-)

More later, finally watching "Blackfish".

Jacki
 
Napped for a bit then remembered something that I want to share since it's sure been working well for me!

I took a Sharpie and made a large "P" on the top of my RX bottle for pain relief. It's waaaaaaayyyyyy easy to find in the middle of the night.

Jacki
 
JackiFL,
How NOT to be bored. That is one I suspect we are all struggling with. My thoughts so far:

- use the games on the BoneSmart. They are a little distraction.
- movies help, but they only go so far...
- I have a stack of books to read. Fiction and non-fiction. The non-fiction do not work well though under pain meds. I won't remember unless I take notes, and I'm not THAT much a learner.
- exercises break up the day.
- hobbling around the house (also exercise) helps the day.
- honestly... be a little silly. Trying to bring a smile, even on BoneSmart, has it's rewards.

So much is about attitude. Stay focused on healing. Fight through the boredom. Keep a light heart, and try to enjoy and take advantage of the time that is in your hands.

Now, ... I need to go and take a dose of my own medicine. :grin:
 
Thanks ARHip!

I'm a crafter but there isn't much that I can do from a nearly horizontal position right now :-)

Today has gone well ~ my one week anniversary for my BTKR! PT came about noon for an hour. She's happy with my numbers and changed up a few of my exercises. Elevated and iced for an hour after she left.

Then my daughter came with my grandson (age 3) so my afternoon has been fun!

I'm happy so far with my recovery path. The first two days were horrid.... so I'm smiling now!

Jacki
 
Glad things seem to be going well. Be sure to keep icing and elevating a lot.
 
@ARHip.....I love your suggestion to be a bit silly. Back in 2008 when I had my first knee done, we had some of the craziest BoneSmarties ever on this forum!!! And the fact that we were all under the influence of heavy duty narcotics made it even worse. We posted some of the silliest things but it kept us entertained for months!!!

In fact, one night late a group of the knee patients broke out of the knee forum and went over to the (much more sedate) hip side to raise heck. It was quite a scene.....guess you had to be there to see the humor. And probably the steady use of pain meds helped it be a little funnier. But....you really are right on target that laughter is sincerely good medicine in this recovery time!!!
 
Spent all night trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in...

ARGH!!!!!

:-(
 
Glad you are dOing better and sooo understand trying to get comfortable not only at night but during the day also. Grandkids make such a difference to your day dont they? My phone rang and I didnt get to it before it hung up (no rushing anymore) I saw it was my daughter and called her back she said she didn't call, turned out my 7 year granddaughter called and wanted to know how I was dOing and could she do anything for me. little things like that help us get over a bad day. Keep up the good work on your recovery.
 
I'm such an idiot!
I think that I forgot to take my pain med at 4am, three hours ago.
Just took it, legs elevated, ice bags on and praying for some relief.

Jacki :(
 
Missing pain meds can make you quite uncomfortable. I have been using the calendar on my phone to record each time I take a pill. I have one item for the day and Just add the time I take my pill. Came in handy yesterday when I couldn't remember if I took a dosage or missed it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom