TKR JackiFL's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I won't likely be missing another pill!
Not something I care to repeat... it really does get waaaay ahead go you and it's hard to catch up. I'm NOW caught up, at 11:30. So that means my little brain man this morning wasted over 8 hours!

Jacki
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine that taking pain meds by the clock for WEEKS is and will be a challenge. I will use my smartphone. Overall sounds like you are doing fairly well but you are so early on. Just be patient a nd dont let a PT hurt you. Are you using a iceing machine ?? I purchased one and hear they are great. Has the pain been more or less than you expected?? Reading bs prior to surgery you get the suspicions that its very very painful. Has it lived up to the hype ? And thats with pain meds . Just wondering. Best of luck.
 
I'm not using an icing machine (unless you consider my sister trudging between freezer and my bed with ice bags a machine lol) but made the ice slushy bags with water & rubbing alcohol. For example, I elevated and iced at two pm today then woke at 5:30 to still have cold slushy bags on my knees!

I just had delivered a wedge pillow that I'm looking forward to using going forth! It's nearly exact to the ones in the BS pics with the "approval" check! Only $40 via Amazon.

The pain level has been both better and worse than I'd expected from reading here on BS and in various books. Like the little girl in the poem, when she's good, she's very very good but when she's bad, she's horrid!
The pain at rest is lower than I'd expected... wonderfully so. When I missed that pain pill, it clearly showed me how much the on time taking of my meds was keeping the "horrid" away. I've now set my phone to remind me every four hours via Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines"!!!! Seemed appropriate :D

Jacki
 
Hi, @JackiFL ! Seems like you're doing really well, congratulations! I'm totally envious of your ROM - I know mine isn't over 80 for either right now. I see improvements, and am not having a lot of difficulty doing things, but just get anxious to be further along than what I am.

I made a point to set alarms on my phone as soon as I was home and have used them for pain medication each day. I've been petrified of letting the pain get ahead of me, eesh! I really wouldn't call what I'm experiencing pain (lots of stiffness, tightness, of course swelling), and don't want it to get there, that's for sure.

Are you to the point of being able to do little things for yourself yet? Hubby is just now agreeing that I can go out to kitchen and make a cup of tea or coffee for myself.
 
Hi Blue! I'm about an hour east of you, I believe. I had my surgery at Holmes Regional in Melbourne.

To be honest, I haven't done much for myself other than walk a bit around the house, do my exercises and read a bit. My sister came from Massachusetts to spend ten days with me.... her husband has had two hips and one knee replaced in the past five years due to a congenital defect called arthrogryposis. She's been thru this and offered to help since she knows what's "normal".

I do walk around the house each morning and each afternoon. Feels good to stretch and feel normal. Showering will be more fun after I get my staples removed on Friday morning.

More later, nearly lights out time for me here....
Jacki
[Bonesmart.org] JackiFL's Recovery Thread
 
There are several apps for smartphones to help you keep track of pills. I used one with my second knee and it was great for knowing exactly what I took when and when it was time for another dose. Check out your app store!!

Or....if you don't have a smartphone, you can keep a written log with you....especially bedside at night. When you wake up groggy and in pain you NEED accurate information about the doses of meds you've been taking.
 
Post op day 9!

Iced and elevated this morning. Then the home nurse to do vitals and draw blood for Coumadin levels.
Lunch then home PT was here to run me through the workout. Good range of motion still and the quads are starting to respond & actually work. Visitors this afternoon so I'll be entertaining from my bed while icing :-)

104 on left and 110 on right

Jacki
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Jacki - I know the Melbourne area very well, I've done tons of business through there for the last twelve years. Wow, small world, eh?? You sound like you're doing really, really well, too. I've had zero issues entertaining while icing/elevating - now, I HAVE drifted off a couple of times in the middle of a sentence, but hey, it happens :wink:. I've also had to gently nudge a girlfriend that it was time to go, visiting can flat wear a person out. But, they all take it in stride.

My home PT went really well yesterday - I can tell that today because I don't have more swelling/tightness. Your ROM is really great, too - I can't wait to get to where you're at :yahoo:
 
Morning Blue,

I live on Merritt Island but my OS and hospital are down in Melbourne. Lived in Orlando for 12 years before moving over here - and still love it! It's a much quieter pace now than where we lived in Orlando.

Staples out this morning... am icing my knees already since I let the PT get to me yesterday. She had me "try" straight leg raises , five each side, holding for a count of ten.
I also don't like her counting method. I'm working SMART as well as hard and don't need to be "tricked" into doing more reps. Debating how much benefit I'm really getting from her. My daughter came to the classes at hospital with me and I have that great TKR book with the one year step by step rehab plan in it.
Or maybe I can just move on up to the outpatient rehab.... will have to check on that.

More later. Hope that you're having a great Friday!

TGIF
Jacki
[Bonesmart.org] JackiFL's Recovery Thread
 
I think it's a matter of saying "when" to the PT--easier said than done sometimes. 5 leg raises seems ok but why would they push for more at this point? :(
 
Staples out, Steristrips on! Ten days out.... my first outing to the dr office. Two hour round trip car ride - ugh!

[Bonesmart.org] JackiFL's Recovery Thread

[Bonesmart.org] JackiFL's Recovery Thread
 
You look great. That two hour ride must have been rough though. You btkr's are really impressing me. I have been reading your updates and wish you well!
 
There are several apps for smartphones to help you keep track of pills. I used one with my second knee and it was great for knowing exactly what I took when and when it was time for another dose. Check out your app store!!
I was just going to suggest this!
Staples out, Steristrips on! Ten days out.... my first outing to the dr office. Two hour round trip car ride - ugh!

[Bonesmart.org] JackiFL's Recovery Thread

[Bonesmart.org] JackiFL's Recovery Thread
You are doing great---staples out---these are little milestones that make a big difference!
 
There are several apps for both Android and IPhone that can keep track of not only when to take the meds, but what meds are in line for for you!

One called MedCoach Medication Reminder is available for both Android and IPhone and is very highly rated.
 
There are several apps for both Android and IPhone that can keep track of not only when to take the meds, but what meds are in line for for you!

One called MedCoach Medication Reminder is available for both Android and IPhone and is very highly rated.
I've downloaded the app for iphone. Now to figure out how to make the alarm audible...
I asked for, and got, a script yesterday so that I can get thru to my next appt. in two weeks.

Jacki
 
I'm so behind in technology I used a dry erase board to write down my meds. :whistle:
 
I don't have a smart phone, so I can't do apps. I just use one of those plastic boxes that hold a weeks worth of med for AM and PM. And I never had any trouble remembering to take my pain meds.
 
I'm thinking I need low-tech right now since (apparently) I am having trouble keeping track!

Today's notes on pills were written on half a paper towel with purple Sharpie lol

Jacki
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom