Guest viewing is limited

THR I've Got a New Attitude (OK, Hip)

:hi:
I like your healing mantra!
Being able to work from home on Mondays and Fridays sure is nice. Saves you the commute and bumpy ride.
What wonderful news on the incision finally closing :yay: I know that's troubled you a bit.
I'm happy to hear the fatigue is easing also. You're taking it slow and easy, as you should.
You've been a good patient, LL. :yes:
I hope your week is good!
Big hugs :friends:
@ladylorn
 
Yay for healing up that hole!:yahoo:
Hump day, thank goodness.
For you and Me...
I must've been a magnet for crazies yesterday...:doh:
The strangest, most frustrating people came my way
Hope today is a good day...:SUNsmile:
 
Wow, you're a trooper back to work so soon. If I had to use public transportation for over an hour each way I'd work at home all the time, even without surgery. I will start working half days next Thursday and I am very concerned about energy drain. I'll be following your journey. Wishing you the best.
 
@Lski, I actually was working from home (and my recliner... and my couch... and sometimes my bed :snork:) a week after each of my surgeries; then went back to working in the office six weeks after the surgeries. And no, it wasn't easy (the hardest part was definitely the bus ride); but I made the decision to leave early when I needed to (and come in late, as well), and to go rest in one of our comfy chairs when I needed a break. Not ideal, but I made it work.

Take your time and don't do any more than you can; we're all pulling for you!!

On another note, my fellow Bonesmarties, I had a special moment on Saturday (and not in a good way). The morning started out great - I got up and ready and took myself to the beach (FINALLY!); sat and watched the waves for a couple of hours (okay, there were a few times when the waves watched me - I totally dozed off!). Then I went grocery shopping for the first time since the surgeries began (I'd been doing Fresh Direct and Peapod, or folks would bring groceries when they came to see me).

Got to the parking lot of the store, parked, then went to get my bags out of the back; swung the cargo door up and it knocked into me (it's a very heavy door); I windmilled my arms and tried to keep my balance but the next thing I knew... I was DOWN:swoon:! I'd done my best to catch myself with my arms (my right one took the brunt of it); but I definitely banged my hip at the lower end of the incision (you know... where The Cavern had just finished closing???).

I was quickly surrounded by some folks (not many, maybe 4 or five); one took charge and told me not to move, asked if I needed an ambulance, had folks gather my keys and cane. I moved my legs and hips slowly/carefully and didn't feel any more pain/discomfort than I'd been feeling from the healing pains; so I said I wanted to stand up - she then corralled people to help me stand so that I didn't have to bend or overdo (I have a feeling that she either has had a HR or knows someone who has; she seemed really familiar with how to handle things).

They got me to a standing position and I CAAAAREFULLY put weight on the newer hip/leg - it didn't collapse out from under me, so I knew I hadn't dislocated it (thank goodness for BoneSmart; I know what to look for in almost every dire case at this point! :thumb:). I walked a bit (while she went to get me a shopping cart to lean on - seriously, she was an angel, she even checked on me in the store to make sure I wasn't in too much pain or feeling faint!), and felt I could do a quick grocery run, so in the store I went (with a stop in the loo to make sure nothing had exploded - that Cavern still has me leery as heck, even though it's closed! :scaredycat:). I missed a couple of things on my list because I was so shaken that I just wanted to get home; but I got the important stuff (protein, protein, and more protein), then took myself home.

All in all, I believe that I'm okay - I canceled PT this morning so that I didn't overstress my already stressed-out muscles, and have been taking it easy since then. And I called my OS to let him know what had happened; I already had a follow-up next week, but I wanted to make sure that they did x-rays to ensure that everything is where it's supposed to be.

So. Even with that scare (ESPECIALLY with it), I still consider myself blessed - having read some horror stories where people fell, I know it could have been worse. Feeling grateful, and hoping that I continue to heal fully and easily (even as I remind myself to brace better whenever I have to lift that darned door - it was heavy and awkward BEFORE any surgeries, it's Sisyphean for me... at least right now! LOL).

Hope everyone's doing well in BoneSmart Land!:flwrysmile:
 
That was a tear jerker to read, LL. I'm not kidding.
Sounds like that woman was an angel :angel: I believe they are among us.
To come and check on you and question how you're doing after she was already so helpful in the parking lot.
Thank goodness you're okay and the cavern stayed closed. That had to be a very scary experience with two new hips.

I think you're wise in laying low and resting for a time. Hopefully you'll be back to feeling better in a couple days. You're right, you are blessed, it could have been way worse. I just thanked the good Lord that you're okay.:yes:
Hugs to you :console2:
@ladylorn
 
Oh my stars...I was all "you go girl" while reading and was following you to the beach and smelling the salt air and drifting off...next thing I know you've got me falling down with you at the grocery store, about to tear our incision back open and jerk around our new hip! :holysheep:
Honestly. Scared me to death.

No falling, no falling, NO FALLING down and going boom.:no-fin:

Sure am glad you are OK...:ok:
Glad you have follow up.
I had a similar incident further out in my recovery...that mademe wonder if I had just messed up my new hip too..
Scary, but apparently it hung on!
You're in time out tonight!:ice:
 
Oh my, what a frightening experience. Thank God for good people to help when it's most needed. God sends us angels just when we need them. Hey going back to work must have been a breeze compared to this incident.

So happy you spent time at the beach. I enjoyed the day I went to the shore too. It was followed by 3 days of rest but we'll worth the experience. I'm headed to New York city to see Wicked and staying the night in Long Island with my daughter, her grandmother & her best friend. Then I start working from home on Thursday. I have it planned so I have minimal walking so not overdoing it like I did getting on the beach in Wildwood, NJ.

Hope you can rest & that you don't have too much damage from your fall.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
 
@Layla, I've always believed that angels walk among us, and this was a big reminder for me; I'm so filled with gratitude that one was nearby to help me. On my commute in this morning I was reliving the incident (have I mentioned I'm a wee bit traumatized?? :shocked:) and remembered thinking "Oh, Lord, how am I going to get up? I have no idea how to get back up!!!"... and then :angel: she appeared.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers :hugzz:; I'm still nervous (having read about FAR too many other things that can go wrong besides dislocation), so am really looking forward to seeing the doc next week (I figure any fall-related swelling will have gone down some by then, as well; which will hopefully allow for a better, more thorough, exam).

@Mojo333 , I was going to say "DON'T follow along with me - you'll traumatize yourself as much as I've traumatized me!!!" because I've been told that I know how to spin a tale for the most dramatic effect. Mea culpa; I guess I should've put a disclaimer at the beginning of my tale, warning that stuff was going to hit fans and things :loll:. Yes, the timing of it is the thing that has me most concerned; I am, admittedly, almost two months out (tomorrow is my second hip-iversary! :wowspring:); but I still feel less stable than I would like (even though I'm probably at a "normal" stage in my healing).

@Lski , enjoy Wicked!!! It's quite a lot of fun (at least it was when I saw it, eons and eons ago... LOL); and take it easy going back to work - I know you can handle it!!
 
We are just going to be grateful that we weren't more seriously hurt, and take greater caution in how we approach every situation. I'm guessing our muscles suffered some strain and possibly our pride.
(hey, my mother always says she is glad she didn't name me Grace:curtsey:)
I got the Klutz Gene.
Hope all is better today...I was walking beside you... next time I will FOLLOW you.
If I cant pick you up, I will call 911 because I ain't messing up my hips either:heehee:
 
She was glad she didn't name you "Grace", huh, @Mojo333? I can relate - at one point, my nickname was "Tactless", because I always told the absolute truth (I mean, what's it there for if not to tell it??? :loll:); we never even discussed my grace (or lack thereof) because it was pretty much a given that it was non-existent from birth (and I studied dance!! LOL).

Yes, ma'am, Mojo; I will be much more careful about every step I take.... and every move I make.... :kitty:(although I still have no idea how that darned door hit me - I was standing to the SIDE OF IT!!!! :rotfl:).
 
Getting back up after a fall would be scary. You don't know if it's going to hurt, if you'll be able to bear weight, if your leg might collapse should there be an injury. I'm just happy you're ok!

Happy Two Month Anniversary on Hip 2! I hope you're no worse for wear today after Saturday's fall.
Wishing you a peaceful, uneventful :wink: week, LL!
@ladylorn
 
I enjoyed Wicked. Was pretty tired when I returned home. Very anxious about returning to work tomorrow, but I'm sure it will all be OK. Thanks & happy 2_month anniversary on that hip.
 
Hi LL,
I hope you've fully recovered from your spill last Saturday and are just chillin this weekend.
Boring one for me today. Hot, humid and a trip to grocery store and Home Depot with hubby.
I have a few more days of freedom and then it's jury duty all September!
I want to run and hide :bolt:you think they'll find me :heehee:
Hope you have a nice Sunday!
@ladylorn
 
@ladylorn
Oh my goodness!
Just catching up here with you and read you fell?!?
Scary but thankfully you had people nearby who helped and you have hopefully not damaged those new hips!
My OS told me one thing at my last appt. Don't fall!!
Whenever I've fallen it always feels like I've been in a car wreak - jarring.
I hope you aren't too sore and bruised.
 
That first fall post THR is always scary. Luckily in most cases the only thing bruised is your ego. It can be very jarring however. Don't be surprised if you are sore in areas other than the hip. Lots of rest and TLC prescribed. Glad you are OK!
 
@ladylorn You are such an inspiration with your positivity and humour! I was sorry to read about your wound healing issues and then your fall! Yikes. SO glad the wound has healed and that you are OK, although I'm sure shaken, in every way, from your fall.
Will be keeping your smiling face and humour in mind as I approach my BTHR Sept 14. Thank you :SUNsmile:
Have a healing Sunday:flwrysmile:

P.S. Are you originally from Jamaica? Did I read that somewhere? I'm originally from Bermuda, and moved to Canada six years ago :) . Whoops, I just saw that you are from Jamaica NY!!! :heehee:
 
@Mojo333 I think I did read something on one of your posts on @ladylorn's thread! I'm such an island girl at heart, and get excited when I read that anyone else is from that part of the world! Clearly I need more caffeine or something this AM!! :rotfl: . I think I also read something about steel drums, which I LOVE!!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom