Guest viewing is limited

THR I've Got a New Attitude (OK, Hip)

Hi, @Layla, thanks for the cooler/ice pack suggestion; for some reason, it never occured to me to ice pack on the bus - but I'm gonna give it a shot!

The pain's definitely not piriformis pain - I went through that back when I was on the road (the doc made me stay out for four shows), so I'm VERY familiar with it!!! This is literally a pain (more like an ache) in the gluteus maximus, and I only have it when I've been sitting for longer periods of time. I figured that I just needed to strengthen that muscle, so I'm doing seated (and standing, and lying down... whenever I can do it unobtrusively) glute squeezes, which seems to be helping a bit. And yep, the prickly, tingly, zingy thing... that's what's happening with the incisions!

As you said, this is a process, more of one than I think I expected, despite all my research, and all the information to be found on BoneSmart. I guess I thought that I'd have the blues soon after the second surgery (as I did after the first) but they'd pass and I'd be fine (I have a penchant for, as I admitted on EL11's page, "living in de land of De Nile"). I'm definitely not getting out as much as would probably be healthy for me - I do tend to be rather tired between work, PT, and commute and, therefore, even more prone to doing my "antisocial misanthrope" schtick on the weekends. I'm going to have to do better in that area, even if I can't get outside - coming here and connecting with my fellow BoneSmarties always seems to lift my spirits. :)

I'm only taking Tylenol these days, and only when I really feel I need it; but it does make sense that all the meds I've taken through the past six months (I can't believe it's been six months already!) would, in some way, still be in my system.
Maybe I need to pull out my little sauna tent and try to sweat 'em out!!! :bath:

Thanks for your wise words and suggestions, Layla; and the reminder that I'm not alone in this!!! :friends:
 
Sorry your down at the moment. I’m hoping you feel better soon. That Smokie song right back at ya...something’s been making me blue. I think it’s catching today.
 
The blues are no fun, I deal with them in the winter months (seasonal depression) & anxiety too. Get as much sunshine as you can, take supplements if needed. Breathe fresh air. Hopefully the PT is helping with your endorphin levels which help with your mood. Hope you are happy this week:)
 
I would be surprised if after two major surgeries within a short span, and all this fun recovery stuff...if you weren't feeling some kinda way :unsure:
My behind hurt from too much sitting...my quads were weak so I needed arm help rising for many months...and prickles and zaps...Check!
All just going through the process.
Everyone deserves a pity party...we've been through alot.
Just don't waller in it...my dear friend.
And don't spare us from your down posts...lots of compassion here from those who know.
Plus, need some thing to pick on you about later.:heehee:
I had some super whiny posts on my thread...Big Old Baby, I was!:cry:

Hang in there...wishing you some sunshine!:SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile:
 
@ladylorn
{{{hugs}}}
So sorry you're going through a blue mood time. I totally get it!

I've been going through it too on and off after this second surgery.
Everyday I just pray for the gumption to "get-er-done" and cut myself
some slack if I come up short. Which happens daily.
This recovery process is a grind and ongoing for lots longer than I realized
going into it.
I have to keep reminding myself that my hips are still on the mend. And I'm no spring chicken!

You are right about feeling better when we stop by BS to check in with everybody.
This is the place where everybody gets it!

Be extra good to yourself this week - you deserve it!!
 
Hey LL, Thinking of you this a.m.
Haven't heard from you in a bit. I hope your blue mood has lifted.
Sending some love and a warm hug with your name on it to the concrete jungle. :loveshwr: :friends:
Hope your day is a peaceful one.
@ladylorn
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Sending well wishes and hugs.
I hope you're doing well. Miss you, LL...
@ladylorn
 
Hey double hippy pal.:wave:
Hope you are doing okay!
I'm guessing you are worn out by day's end AND resting up all you can - hopefully - on the weekend.
Just pop in with proof of life when possible.:angel:
 
Hey, y'all, I'm baaaaaack(ish)! :heehee:

Thanks for the anniversary well-wishes, @Layla; I realized I'd hit the three month mark on the second hip as I was sitting binge-watching Zumbo's Just Desserts on Netflix (those creations are AMAAAAAZING), and was thrilled to realize that the hip has improved greatly. In fact, dese hips o' mine both seem to be healing nicely; I'm actually FEELING stronger (as opposed to hearing it from my PTs and not seeing what they're seeing), and am walking more "normally" (whatever THAT is - I've never been one particularly well-known for "normal" :snork:) with each passing day. And I'm finally:prayer: starting to drop some of the pounds I'd regained (that I'd originally lost in preparation for the surgeries:headbang:) after the second surgery (shot up like a rocket, my weight did!!! :loll:)!!! I bought a fitness tracker so that I can monitor my steps and my sleep (have I mentioned that insomnia and I have a long and uneasy relationship?); and am doing what I can to continue this process called healing and "becoming my best Me" in this, The Year of Me (which, I'm realizing, is going to have to extend beyond a year - while not easy, I'm realizing how necessary those moments are in which I care for myself as well as I've taken care of others over the years)!

The blues are still sittin' on me, much to my chagrin; I think it's a combo of all the things Layla suggested re, post-surgery/healing process, with a smidge (or maybe more) of the seasonal that @Lski deals with - the rainy weather (although NOTHING like what the Carolinas have been subjected to! :sad:) and lack of sunshine is already getting to me; add to that being "a woman of a certain age" and you've got a trifecta of "what the heck??????":flabber:.

Like @BeBe, I just pray for gumption and do the best I can, and try not to be hard on myself if (when, cuz it happens often) I fall short. I realized this past weekend that it's time to up the supps and do some damage control (before the REAL weather hits us!!! :yikes:).

One of my sister-friends who helped me after my surgeries asked me to go to Cape Cod with her this weekend - she knows that I love being on the Bay, and water is soothing to my soul. I told her no, because I'm not sure I can handle the drive (it's 5+ hours and, if I'm driving up to her in CT, THEN heading to the Cape, that's an even longer slog); but I'm going to have to gift myself that trip when I feel I'm more able to handle it - certainly, I deserve it for handling all of this with relative aplomb.:martini:

BTW @Mojo333, the (literal) pain in the butt during my commute has been slowly getting better (although, with the UN General Assembly causing traffic mayhem, the much-longer ride makes it seem as though it's not!! :sigh:); but those "healing" sTings and arrows, man (aka, prickles and zaps in non-nerd language) - good gravy!:rotfl:

@Gidget, and everyone who's mentioned dealing with their own blues while finding time/energy to uplift my spirits: thank you for sharing/commiserating. I do hope you're all feeling better; and that life is being kind to you. Sending hugs to everyone!!!:hugzz:
 
I really could NOT do those long rides and still don't particularly care for them...just get so stiff and uncomfortable, but certainly no farther out than you are, I would probably have passed also.
I do love the water, but I was offered to go on a few fishing/riding in the boat trips to the coast...which I love, but when the seas are choppy, I can't envision bumping about like that on the boat.
I'm glad you are seeing some progress and I know that it takes a concentrated effort sometimes to want to stay out of a funk, but you will do this.
Glad you popped in... I do hope all continues to get better:fingersx:
 
So glad to hear you're getting stronger and loosing weight. Now you just need some sleep like me. I'm sure it was hard to pass on the trip to the Caoe. The ocean boosts my mood which is why I've gone a few times. Car rides don't bother meme and I haven't regretted any bbq of my travels. It's a little work packing a cooler of ice & my pillows but we'll worth it. I hope you celebrating enough before winter to visit your friend.
 
Always so nice to hear from you, LL
It sounds like you're doing well. I hope the blues are lifting for you.
Don't like to think of you feeling down.

Cape Cod sounds like such a lovely getaway. I love it there, especially Chatham. Many great spots though. I do agree that's an awful lot of car sitting. I didn't do well with that either for a few months. Hopefully the offer comes again when you're feeling up to it.

Dropping lbs and walking more normally both sound good! I hope your sleep is improving also.
Hang in there...you're doing well! I hope your weekend is all you want it to be.
Big hugs!
@ladylorn
 
Howdy, All!

Quick check-in. Life's going well - I'm feeling stronger and, according to friends, I'm moving like lightning (given that I was moving like a snail before, that's pretty darned good)!! The blues has lifted :roseshwr:, and I'm focusing on getting as healthy as I can, as quickly as I can (cuz winters in Noo Yawk - with the lack of snow-plowing and the attending ice slicks that happen - are NOT cute).

I'm eager to get my right hip to the place that my left one is at in terms of strength, comfort, etc., so that I can put into place more changes-for-the-better in my life. My sis tells me to take it easy and not try to rush things (has she MET me????:heehee:); so I'm just trying to meditate on what I want for my life in 2019 (EV.ER.Y.THING!:loll:).

Not much to report, beyond the fact that I'm doing well today; life's busy (mostly work; still not eager to be a social butterfly again), but I'm in a good place.

Off to check on others and see what's doin' around the Bonesmart campus; have a great day, everyone!!! :wave:
 
:wave:I'm so so glad to hear you crawled over the recovery hump AND are working on getting righteous.

Cue steel drums...:)

Don't worry...be happy!:happyfeet:
 
@ladylorn That is GREAT!!! Thanks for checking in.

It's helpful to look at how others are doing after x number of months. >3 months on the right hip and moving like lightning but still not 100%, that makes sense.

I want to start traveling again as needed in 2019; most of what I'm working on at the moment can be done from home. 2nd hip giving me more pain than 1st but x-rays and the therapist say all is fine. I'm stoked that one of the out-patient rehab places my OS circled is at the hospital where I had my surgeries done, and where I went last year. I booked my first November appointment, with the woman who originally bullied me into going to see an orthopedic surgeon, for which I need to thank her in person.

Happy continued healing!
 
@ladylorn
Happy days are here again??! So happy the blues have turned into a sunny outlook!
If we ever start getting pretty fall weather here in the mid-Atlantic...
Enjoy the fall!
 
Wonderful news that the blues have lifted!! I'm happy for you, LL :yes:
Stronger and moving like lightening is good too. :happydance:
I know what you mean about Winter. Snow, cold, ice = no fun!
We had some snow here yesterday already but it melted by days end.
Grass is green, leaves haven't even peaked on the trees yet. Mother Nature is confused :shrug:
I hope things continue on the upswing for you. Stay in touch, always love hearing from you.
@ladylorn
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary for Righty!
I hope you've been doing well over the past few weeks, LL.
Sending a hug and best wishes for a good week! :)
@ladylorn
 
Hi, y'all!!! (Channeling my inner southern girl, even though I was born and raised in the north... :snork:)

@Layla, thanks so much for the anniversary wishes!! I was thinking about that yesterday while talking to a friend who was celebrating her one-year anniversary of a surgery that has given her back her life - it's amazing what a "fixed" body can do for one's spirit!

Now, if I could just use that cheer to navigate this change of weather.... LOL. I heard about the snow from a friend whose family lives in MN; we were all taken aback (and voiced our concerns about this being a really winter'y winter.... :yikes:). It'll be interesting to see what the next few months brings (I am NOT looking forward to trying to climb the mountains of snow that NYC is famous for - mounds that are piled up from the street and block the sidewalks and turn to ice and and and :hairpulling:). I have NEVER been fond of the cold (despite my ability to play in the snow for HOURS as a youngster); but, as I get to be a woman of a certain age, it can make me downright grumpy - the cold snap that hit NYC has my body just ANGRY :tantrum2:! LOL

Despite my grumps about the weather, I'm doing... okay. Getting stronger, mood is generally good, and I'm hanging in there. I've been super-busy the past few weeks - I manage an office, so there's tons of year-end stuff that starts in late September/early October. I'm coming up for air for a minute, and wanted to drop in to see how everyone's doing.

I'm still perservering, and still doing my facility-PT twice/week; trying to be "good" about my eating (although I had dinner with one of "the sistren" last night, and she chastised me for not eating enough again). Dese hips are getting stronger and less stiff (the right, of course, being behind the left; but still... not bad, if I do say so myself).

Speaking of loose: @Mojo333, you will be tickled to know that I find myself dancing caribbean-style (whatever that means) more and more often these days. :egypdance:

@EL11, I'm with you - I'm ready to start traveling again. My first "big" trip will be driving down to VA for T'giving with the family (making stops along the way to stretch my legs). Then I plan to go to Florida in March (my first time in the Sunshine State!) to see one of "the sistren" in a play she'll be doing. After that, I'll really get great guns blazing - I have friends in California who've been wanting me to come out there, and I want to make a few overseas trips (including Bali. A writer whose work I follow has been in Bali, posting pics and stories - I so want to experience it now!).

I do hope you're doing well and the healing is continuing, EL11; it's great to hear that you'll be able to go to a facility with which you're familiar/comfortable when you're ready to start PT again!! :yay:

How's the weather where you are, @BeBe? We went from above-average temps to below-average overnight - I am NOT pleased (see, previous diatribe about the cold.... :rotfl:).

All in all, I'm good, just swamped with work right now; hoping everyone's doing well and living wonderful, full, healing-side lives!! :loveshwr:
 
@ladylorn Thanks for stopping by and the update. Sounds like you are doing really well with getting back to living again. All those exciting travel plans - you go girl!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom