BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] I've Got a New Attitude (OK, Hip)

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by ladylorn, Mar 16, 2018.

1. ladylorn

ladylorn member

United States United States
    I'd posted this in my pre-op thread and it was suggested that I move it here so that I could share the news.
    I'm back.... and I have a new hip!!! Apologies on taking so long to update - I tried to use the app right after the surgery, but couldn't log in for whatever reason. Since I'd already been exhausted before I went in for surgery (add that to the surgery and post-surgery stuff), you can hopefully understand why I've been pretty silent on the internet lately - it took a while to get the energy up to be on the computer for more than a few minutes.

So here's the tale of WHOA: that last week pre-surgery was insanely chaotic - follow-ups with the rheumatologist (who withheld final approval 'til I got the CT scan - which was clear), coordinating with friends as to who would be where when, and finishing up my work at the office (including training a temp at the last minute).

I was actually looking forward to being in the hospital just to get some rest! :loll:

My friend came down from CT, picked me up, and drove me to the hospital, where I was quickly checked in and taken to the pre-op waiting area. My nurse Tamieka, who did the intake, was lovely; and gave clear instructions/details, answering any questions we might have had. I'd already known I would be getting a spinal, rather than general, anesthesia; she detailed the cocktail that would be given to me, then left me to get ready (wiping down with the special antiseptic cloths, then putting on the gown, socks, and cap, etc.), after which I was bundled into a warming blanket (that I wanted to take home with me; so much better than an electric one!) and left to wait for the OS and anesthesiologist to check in with me. They both came and chatted and further explained what would happen; and then I, my friend and one of my "sisters", waited... and waited... and waited.

My friend wound up having to leave (I'd known that she was going and that sister-friend was staying) because there was such a delay (my surgery time was 1.45; I was eventually wheeled in to surgery at around 3, I believe - luckily, they'd given me the initial "relaxation" meds, and my sister-friend has always had a calming influence on me, so I wasn't stressing).

Once I was in the room, they had me sit on the table and put my head in a head rest and arms over rests (kind of like one of those upright massage table things); told me I'd feel a prick.... And I woke up as they wheeled me into recovery.

I was told that the damage was more extensive than showed on the x-rays, so the surgery went longer, but that I came out of it well/with no problems, and should still be able to go home the next day. I was eventually taken to my hospital room (around 8pm, I think), where my sis got me settled before leaving for the night. It was an okay night... until I lost my lunch. I'd told the nurse's aide that I was hungry, so she'd gotten me a turkey sandwich, apple juice, and peppermint tea (pretty much the same thing they'd given to my hospital roommate); but it would appear that my system, despite having not had anything since midnight the night before, was not up for food, because it all came right back up within 15-30 minutes of my having eaten it. I'd been trying to get the nurse, Narwin, before it happened, but couldn't hold it and wound up needing new bedding and gown, because she took a very long time to get to me (she seemed to do that pretty consistently; the same thing happened when I rang for pain meds at 5am - another nurse finally came to administer something at 5.30 when they realized I was lying there in tears - they seemed to have no idea where Narwin had gone).

Anyways, those were my two rough spots in the hospital. The next day, I worked with the PT a couple of times and was released, so my sister came to take me home. My OS' app told me that he used a zipline enclosure (instead of staples) and covered it with an Aquacel bandage, which my inner nerd loved researching (I just found out from the visiting nurse that I actually DO have staples, with the Aquacel dressing; calling my doc's office to find out why the mix-up).

I'm doing PT now (overdid it yesterday; he's trying to get the adductor muscles - which were tight/locked well before the surgery - to release, so gave me a couple of new gentle stretches to do. My body protested; but I'm icing the heck out of myself and keeping my feet elevated when I'm not walking up and down my apartment hallway). The visiting nurse is on the way now, to change the bandage and check the wound; so, I guess that's it for now.

Hope all my fellow March hippies have had good/positive experiences; can't wait to catch up on their stories!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi again! I left this pre-op....I'll leave again.
    Hope your weekend is peaceful and relaxing!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

3. sequin98

sequin98 graduate

Canada Canada
    I hope your recovery goes smooth from here on!
    I know what you mean about resting! A big reason I opted for general- sleep!

Smooth recovery!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. clodaghcov

clodaghcov senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You sound to be doing wonderfully, go slow, enjoy the rest and a little bit of pure relaxationxx

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oops, posted on your pre-op.
    But glad you are on the healing side:ice:

• Like Like x 1
  6. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

Welcome to the "Dark Side" or should I say light, fluffy but very supportive side. Enjoy the rest and healing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I read your preop posts although I didn’t comment, so now I’m glad to see you on the recovery side. I hope you take it easy with the PT. My OS said we don’t need PT for hip recovery although he did give me a script for it. I think we all feel like we need to “work on our recovery” but OS said we don’t. Anyhow I did very little and I’m just fine. We each have to make our own decision I think. Anyhow, sounds like you are doing well. I’m not sure you will feel up to working st home after a week but again, we are all different. I had a hard time concentrating for over a week and I think it was nearly ten days before I could start reading one of the books I’d gotten in preparation for recovery. Sending healing thoughts your way for a speedy recovery...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Welcome to the other side @ladylorn ! Glad you are home and resting. Take things very easy - there is just no rushing this recovery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

Sounds like recovery is moving forward. :) :-) (:

I’ll add a bit to what @GrannyC said. Had a convo with in home PT last week. It was around the fact I can’t drive for awhile and I’ve only got two visits left with him. Just FYI, the fact you can’t drive isn’t criteria for home PT. Anyway, he started telling me that “they” are now saying PT isn’t all that necessary and “they” are finding those without PT do quite well. First time I heard this other than on Bonesmart. I’m going to discuss with my surgeon tomorrow.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

Outside PT or having a visiting PT wasn't recommended by my OS and if you google you'll find discussions about this. You can find all of the basic simple PT exercises online many under the prosthetic manufacturers sites. The hospital PT gave me a printout that is simple to follow and most are done in bed.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ladylorn

ladylorn member

Hello, all! I had the devil of a time getting back on to my account for some reason; I'd been wanting to check in on other people and give a quick update; glad I'm able to now! @GrannyC, @hikejunkie and @Eman85, I agree re, PT; I've definitely not been overdoing things (some - who've never had a HR, of course - might feel that I've not done enough). I did decide to do facility PT 2x/week (started last week), mostly because they have pool therapy, and I'm a water baby:swim:; but also because I still have to get the second hip done in June, and want it to have some measure of "prep" before I go in (if I didn't have to work, I wouldn't worry about it so much; as it is, I feel that I need to do what I can to keep body and soul together 'til I can get that second surgery done). The great thing is, the therapist with whom I'm working is quite careful not to push me beyond my limits, and seems more concerned with making sure I'm ready for the second surgery than rushing the first leg too fast, which is exactly what I want. I appreciate that.

On the physical front, the wound is healing quite nicely (it seemed to take forEVER to get to the stage where it was healed enough for the scabbing to fall off); and I can feel my left leg getting stronger/more stable (it's DEFINITELY more stable than the right, unoperated one right now!) - I still use a cane when I go out, but I'm more and more able to walk around my apartment without one (in fact, I'll often forget it when I go from one room to the next and have to figure out where I left it. LOL). I'm walking more, although not nearly as much as I might like (again, the unoperated hip is now giving more trouble - jealous thing :heehee:), and have been able to drive a bit. But I still find myself tired more easily/often than I expected - I'm going back to working in the office next Monday (which means a 1.5-2hr commute each way), and I'm not sure how I'll respond to that added stress (I've been working full-time from home, so it's really the added commute time that's worrying me). My sister is encouraging me to work part-time; I've told her that, depending on how well I respond to returning to my old schedule, I won't have a choice - my body will force me to be a part-time worker.:rotfl:

Anyway, just wanted to drop in now that I'm able to post again. Off to catch up on other folks' progress! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Jaycey

@ladylorn Thanks for checking in! Sounds like your recovery is going very well!

Your commute sounds like a killer on a good day. You may need to stagger your days. New hips really don't like all that sitting. And yes, there is the Energy Drain. Please let us know how it goes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. ladylorn

ladylorn member

@Jaycey , thanks for this reminder!!! I'd read about the Energy Drain a while back, but it totally slipped my mind (and here I was blaming myself for not being "in shape" or "strong enough" - silly rabbit!).

I'll go in next Monday and see how things go; as you say, it might be better for me to continue to work from home part-time and go into the office on alternating days.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

The commute isn't going to be fun, I've driven longer trips a few times and I stop at 1 hr. and get out to walk. I definitely want to get out and walk after an hour! Tired is still my problem coming on 9 weeks if I get out and do any physical labor, still not back to full endurance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Mojo333

:wave:good to hear your update.
    The riding in the car isn't fun these first months... my hips still don't like long rides but I have a horrid car for it..terrible low and bucket seats!
    Hope all continues to get better and better!:tada:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jaycey

No, it's real and you can't fight it. My first days back at work it would hit suddenly and I just could not go on. Over time the drain eases. Just give yourself plenty of time and rest when you need it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

That commute sounds a shocker! Your heart must sink just thinking about it. It's bad enough doing the drive, without the work part in between. Your sisters's suggestion of part time hours sounds a good one if.
    Keep plenty of ice packs on standby for when you get back in from work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. ladylorn

ladylorn member

Hi, everyone. So I'm on my second day back at the office, and already feeling the effects! :tiredwheel: I started out great yesterday but, as the day went on, the discomfort increased - this morning, I'm on my third desk chair (the other two were just too hard on both the operated hip and the one that needs operatin'!); and I'm doing my best to keep my feet elevated. Tonight I have pool therapy which I am, on the one hand, looking forward to; on the other, I'm dreading it a bit - to get there from the office, I have to take a commuter train (to a station that isn't handicap accessible - very few are with this commuter train, I've found - which means I'll be walking down a very long and steep set of stairs); then I drive to the facility. Oh, and the session is at 7.30, which means I won't be home until 9 or 9.30.

I'm feeling a bit whiny-baby today, in case you couldn't guess. :boohoo:

The one bright spot - my two bosses have agreed to let me work from home on Thursdays since I have morning PT on those days (mind, I really want to work from home Thursdays AND Fridays; the whole "I have to have the second hip done, stat!" thing is putting a bit of a wonk in my "asks" at the office).

All that said, I'm hoping I can hang in - I'm finding that the unoperated leg is giving me more and more trouble (I'm actually using my cane to support THAT leg rather than the operated one - every time I've tried it the other way, it's been a debacle); I've got a call in to my OS to schedule the second hip for June, so I have something positive to hold onto.

Thanks for listening; now off to read others' positive tales of WHOA! and get some cheer on! :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Mojo333

Getting back to work will certainly wipe you out...I certainly struggled through and didn't have the commute journey!
    Those post op blues hit me also at the 6 week mark along with just being so so tired. I also wasn't getting long periods of uninterrupted sleep.
    I think you are doing well trying to cope with work and having an upcoming second surgery.
    Try to rest all you can when you can.
    We ARE cheering for you!:yay:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  20. ladylorn

ladylorn member

Thanks, @Mojo333 ; I've already accepted that I'll be spending the weekend resting, with maybe a trip to the beach (but only if I wake up early enough without any alarm-assistance. :heehee:). The beach is very restorative for me, and there's an area where I can park and sit in the car (I don't think I'm quite up to sand-walking just yet) and watch the waves - that usually helps with normal blues, hoping it will also work on the post-op ones. But, if I can't get up/out in time, that's okay - sleep is one of my best friends, and I'm okay with her spending the weekend with me :snork:.

I'm really glad for the pool therapy in all this; I'm a serious water-baby and I know it does a lot to lift my spirits, even though I'm doing specific exercises rather than just basking in it. I was very careful to let the PT know when I felt that I'd done enough last night; and felt good about it once I was done/home.

I'm cheering for all my fellow Bonesmarties, as well!!! :thumb::yes!:

• Like Like x 3