Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, last night I started having a weird pain in my right knee. It was a throbbing type pain, but not the whole knee, just in one area - right where I had the issues with the TED hose. Of course, I got all worried it was a blood clot. There is no swelling (above what I already had) and it's not red. The pain was pretty bad though. This morning I woke up stiff and sore like always. I must sleep in the craziest, weirdest positions because it's not just my knees that are stiff and sore, but also my thighs, butt, back, etc. Once awake and walking around, I work out most of the kinks, but boy do I need a massage. My right knee is feeling ok today - and looks fine. Who knows what it was going on last night.
 
@ljrfrm Oh no, I'm sorry to hear of your pain, and very glad it's better this morning. I was very fortunate in that I never had to wear the TED hose. I'm with you on the massage, wouldn't that feel just so awesome? I'm like you very stiff in the morning, and it takes me a little while to work it all out. Have you experienced that tight band feeling around the top of your knee? It started two days ago for me, and is quite annoying. I have to massage the top part of my knee to get some relief. I'm taking it as a sign that things are starting to knit together, and hey tomorrow is ONE month....Congrats to us! One month and going strong, hope your day is beautiful and pain free!
 
@ljrfrm I'd bet it was a nerve acting up on you. It may come and go for awhile. I keep getting sparks, for lack of a better word, of nerve pain in my knee. Sometimes right in the center of my knee cap and sometimes off to the inside of my knee. It has a center point and then sparks out in what I envision as like a spider web.
 
@Crow22 I have that tight band feeling too. I guess it's all part of the recovery. I have a trainer that I worked out with to prepare for the surgery. She is also a massage therapist, and she sets up a massage chair at the gym each Saturday. I think I will go next Sat for an upper body massage - she charges $1 a minute. I won't be able to bend my knees into the bottom part of the massage chair, but should be able to keep them out straight. I'll pay for however long I can last on that chair. I can't wait!

@gr82cu2 Thanks, I hadn't thought about nerve-pain but that makes sense. Why is it that every time I have something new happen, I think the worst? I guess there are a lot of fears from reading about clots, infections, etc.
 
Please don't worry about these odd pains that come and go. It's all part of the recovery process and why we tell people not to worry about continuing to take their pain meds on a schedule for weeks and even months if needed to be comfortable. Even if you no longer take prescription pain meds, Tylenol if taken in proper dosage can help with these pains. And it's very common to have them at night when you are not moving about as much.

Are you icing your knees when you sleep? That frequently can stop the discomfort if you ice all night long. I used to use gal packs (front and back of the knee) and would replace them once during the night when I'd get up to use the bathroom. It worked wonders.
 
@Jamie Thanks for the reminder not to worry about odd pains. You bring up a very good point about icing. I have been so miserable at night lately - so achy all night long. I continue to ice during the day, but stopped icing at night. And now that I think about it, I am much more achy now at night when I'm not icing than before when I was. I chalked it up to moving more now, sleeping on my side, etc. But, maybe it also has to do with my not icing at night anymore. I will go ahead and ice tonight when I go to bed and see if that makes a difference.
One thing I noticed this past night, is that I often wake up with my thighs, calves and butt aching too - and almost in spasms. Maybe the ice will help everything relax and calm down.
 
Four week post-op update:
It's hard to believe that yesterday was four weeks already. Then again, sometimes it seems that life is moving so slow nowadays. While overall I often feel like I haven't made much progress, it's amazing how far I've come in many ways.
PT: I'm still working hard 3x a week. My therapist never pushes me too hard or hurts me, and while she measures ROM, she's more about function and what I can do, than numbers. Today my right knee flexion was 96. I was very happy to be in the 90's on my that side, as it was always behind the left one. She didn't measure extension today, but the last time she did, I was able to get it to -1. My left side is always much better than the right - but today the left knee is a bit swollen and I had a harder time bending it. It measured 95 today - which is exciting because I think it will probably easily be over 100 once I can get the swelling back down again. My extension was 0 the other day. I've come far from 3 weeks ago when I was in the 70's. I'm still doing a lot of the same exercises, but today she taught me some stretching I can do for my calves, gluttes and hamstrings when I'm so stiff and sore in bed.

Movement: I'm moving much better and will often "forget" my cane when I go to the kitchen or somewhere else on the main level of the house. I walk better with the cane, as I'm a bit Frankenstein-ish without it. But, when i first moved to the cane last week, I felt unstable, unbalanced and a bit like my knees would give out. I don't feel that way anymore. The big news is that this morning, I began to use the bathroom without the riser. It wasn't planned but when I got there, I realized my husband hadn't brought it downstairs yet, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's a bit difficult, but do-able. I use the doorknob and back of toilet to help myself stand up after, and it's a bit "low" feeling - but I can do it. I plan to continue to use the riser upstairs as during the night I'm stiff and sore and don't want to have difficulties when I get at night. But, I know even a week ago there would be no way that I could have gotten up without the riser/rails like I did today. The other big change is that I can now go upstairs "like a big girl" with one leg in front of the other. Up until now, I didn't have enough flexion to do so, or strength to pull myself up. I still go slow, and I have to concentrate to not rotate my hips, but I can do it. I still go downstairs sideways, and don't feel anywhere ready to go do any other way.

Sleep: As I've mentioned, sleep is hard. I am sleeping though, so I'm not complaining - but I just wake up often achy and sore. It's just hard to find the right position and once I find it, I then get stiff from staying in that position. I always fall right back asleep though - so I'm getting many hours of sleep - just not good sleep.

Meds: I'm still on the same pain medication routine of Hydrocodone and Tramadol. I can go longer now without the Hydrocodone, sometimes waiting 7 hours or more until the next dose. But, that's when I take the Tramadol in between. As everyone has recommended, I'm not rushing myself off the meds, and up until now at least, I haven't had any issues getting the refills.

I still use my ice machine during the day, although I haven't been doing so as much. As I'm a bit swollen again, I want to get back into the habit of icing quite often - I'm hooked up now as I type. I guess the fact that I was doing it less means I was feeling better!

I'm still feeling frustrated at times that I'm not progressing - but as I type this out and think about it all, I've made so many gains towards recovery over the last few weeks. I'm really looking forward to seeing how I will feel a few weeks from now!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You're doing great! I'm amazed at those of you who do both at the same time. I get the one recovery bonus but can't wrap my head around having both legs in the game at the same time. Keep up the progress and good work!
 
You're making great progress! forgetting the cane is a great milestone. :egypdance:
The sleep issue will resolve itself but it's sure annoying.
Happy :ice:
 
@kneeper and @gr82cu2 Thanks for the good wishes! Feeling achy and yucky today so it's nice to see the positive feedback :)
 
@ljrfrm congrats to our 4 weeks post-op! Yea, each day gets a little better, and it perfectly normal to have those down days. This past Friday and Saturday really wiped me out, and my energy was really low. Yesterday was awesome as I got to go out to lunch for the first time, and could sit for an hour without my knees hurting. I also felt really happy that I could use the handicapped bathroom stall without any issues!! It is the little things. Like you I can go up the stairs like a big girl, and today worked on going down like a big girl, still needs some work, but it's a start.
So glad to hear you are doing well and who would have thought we would be doing so good a month ago. A keep up the good and I know, hard work.
 
@Crow22 Awesome that you went out to lunch and lasted an hour! I haven't tried to go downstairs like a big girl -I think I'm a bit nervous too. Will have to give it a try :) It's so nice we are on the other side AND doing well. Cheers sister!
 
Five Week Update:
This week has been filled with ups and downs - moments where I feel like I'm doing better and others where I question if I've made any progress week. But, I know that every week that I write an update, is a week closer towards making it to the end of the recovery road. I'm hoping that by posting these ups and downs, maybe it will help others following behind me to see my recovery, and know that they too will be ok.

PT Update: This has been a difficult week. My therapist has pushed me more - and at times I've had to talk with her about whether I am doing too much or not. I leave therapy feeling more stiff and tired - but not with any sharp or hard to manage pain. But given that this stiff, achy feeling is also "pain", I know that I might be doing too much. The focus is on both range or motion and strength, and I just really feel like I need to focus more on the ROM aspect. At least that's what I think - as I'm really not happy with my ROM at this point. My left leg flex is 102 (with a bit of help from the therapist) and 100 on my own. This is a 5 degree improvement from last week. The right left measured 96 - which I had to work very hard to get. I was at 95 last week - and got there easily. SO, my right leg was was clearly not a happy camper yesterday - I'm thinking it might have a bit more swelling this week there though. At one point, I was at 68 on this side, so I have to remind myself of the progress. I know not to compare my recovery to anyone else's, but I have to admit it's hard to read about people getting their bend into the 100's so easily when I've had to work and fight for every degree. I've gone from 75 to 102 in 4 weeks - so I know I'm ok and going in the right direction, but it gets so frustrating at times to not be able to bend my legs. Especially when I'm stiff and really feeling like I "have" to bend them. I can pedal all the way around still (backwards) and it really does feel good to do so, and work out the stiffness and kinks. I bought some portable pedals ($29) and I've started to use them a few times a day. They are smaller to I'm not bending quite as much but it still feels good to use them. I continue to go to PT 3x per week. I have exercises to do at home as well, but honestly, I often skip some of them if I am sore, knowing my body needs a break. I also plan to talk to the therapist again on Wed to discuss how I'm feeling.

Sleep: I continue to get so very achy and sore during the night. I do sleep well for about 4-5 hours, and tend to wake up around 4 am. Like @Crow22 , I also have to get up and go to the bathroom to stretch as I'm in pain. Sometimes it's my knees that are stiff, but often its my calves or quads that are in spasms, needing to be stretched. The issue is that when I'm asleep, I'm in the same position for just two long (legs straight too long, or bent too long, etc.). I take pain meds before I fall asleep and another dose around 4 am. I do go back to sleep easily once I get back in bed, and will sleep well for another 3-5 hours, depending what time I need to wake up.

Pain Meds: I'm still taking Hydrocodone and Tramadol. I'm taking less Hydrocodone now - only 2-3 per day - mostly in the afternoon/evening and overnight when I'm sore. I tried taking them in the morning too, even if I felt I didn't need them, to see if that impacted how I felt in the afternoon - and I had no change. So, I tend to take just Tramadol in the morning, which covers me well enough. I don't plan to cutting out/down meds anytime soon, as I know I still need them. I have started stretching more, using my bike pedals and trying to move more, to help the stiffness/achy feeling. I noticed I am icing much less than before, so am also trying to increase that as well in order to help with the tight/achy feeling as well. The pain meds definitely continue to help - if I miss a dose I begin to hurt. So, I keep up with them as needed. I just wish the pain meds would help that tight/achy/stiff feeling.

Mobility: I am not doing very much around the house - but am able to make myself quick meals (i.e breakfast or lunch type foods) and I have gone with my husband a few times to pick a few items up from the store. I would like to increase my walking a bit, and take a walk up to the corner or around the neighborhood as I feel like I need to be more active. I have worked hard to take it easy, but not feel like my body needs to move. Hopefully that will help me feel a bit better - if not, I will cut back. My friend will drive me to PT tomorrow as my husband is not able to. We plan to go out to lunch after, which will be nice since I haven't been out to eat for a few weeks. I'm still using my cane, although I do walk without it at times at home. My gait changes when I walk without it - my PT notices that I shove my butt out when I don't have it - I guess in an effort to steady myself. My body is definitely telling me I still need to use it - even if it's only as a securit blanket.

My emotions have been up and down this week - mostly around my ROM and frustrations with not being able to bend my legs when I feel like I need to. It still hurts to bend - and I wonder when that will go away. I am tired of hurting, of feeling achy and stiff. I'm not having horrible pain, I'm progressing, I'm doing well.....I'm just tired of it all. But, I also know I've come far, and I will continue to improve - this is definitely a test of my patience.
 
We "talked" yesterday over on my thread so you know I feel the same and totally get where you are coming from. Our patience is being tested like never before I think. Hang in there!
 
@gr82cu2 Knowing others "get" how I feel and that what we're going through is "normal" really helps. Thanks.
 
@ljrfrm Your post is prompting me to do a 13 week update on my thread. Oh yes, we totally "get it"! I am so in awe of you doing two at once! You are going to be just fine.
 
Hey my surgery buddy @ljrfrm Hang in there, I'm walking with my cane right with you. I totally agree with you that it's hard at times to deal with the achy stiffness, but hey we're doing it! I find my self massaging my knees when it gets too stiff, and it does help. I guess when you look in retrospect to everything our two knees have gone through, It's to be expected, but it can sure wear on you.
You sound like you are doing great with your RoM and there is so much pressure to be over 100, it's crazy. As long as you are making progress, which you are, keep chugging on. Like so many have said here the ROM will come. It is hard work to do all this PT stuff, but look how far we've come in just 5 weeks! Wow just think how we will be in another 5 weeks! lol. Still stiff I imagine! ha ha
I'm like you in taking my hydro condone only 2xs during the day and at night if I wake up all achy. I supplement with Advil during the day.
Take heart my little surgery buddy, we are going to have those days where you are just plum worn out, and that's okay. I get that especially if I've overdone it, which I tend to do, so I have to be really mindful of not trying to do it all!!
Know that I'm right here next to you, a fellow cane walker! It is funny and I agree when I don't use my cane my gait changes, and I've been told that's a no no, so I'm using it more around the house, and concentrating on good walking procedure.
Just remember you are doing freaking awesome!
 
@Crow22 Thanks - your words always cheer me up :) Today was a rough day - I really hurt bad all day long. So I took a lot more pain meds than I have lately, which made me feel out of it and yucky. I'm wondering what I did yesterday at PT that had both my knees so unhappy? Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

Looking forward to the day that we are both cane-free!!
 
@ljrfrm How is my surgery buddy doing? You have been on my mind and I hold you in good energy, hoping you are feeling better. Just think Monday is week 6!!! Whooo Hoooo we are getting there honey, one somewhat strong, and at times Frankenstein step at a time! LOL Just dropping in to say a big Hello and send you a hug.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom