Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ljrfrm I just caught up on your thread as I'm in final prep for my Wednesday BTKR. I had many of the same thoughts/emotions after my THR, and I know this will be more difficult. Thanks for sharing your experience!
 
@PuppyLove Thanks! Looks like your BTKR is coming up soon - good luck! Hope my experience has been helpful to you.

@Crow22 Thanks for checking in. I just posted on your thread and will update mine tomorrow after I visit my OS. I'm hanging in there - still stiff and sore but slowly improving (I hope).
 
Six Week Update:
I just returned from my 6 week OS appointment. He told me that everything looks great on the xrays - and he believes I'm doing well. My ROM (flexion) is 105 and 101 and I can get the extension to 0 if I'm laying on my stomach (on my back I can only get to 3) PT tells me it's because of my tight hamstrings. The doctor seemed fine with my ROM, and not concerned that I've struggled to get to where I am - and that I'm not further. He told me that both internal swelling and tight muscles are impacting me (hence my stiffness and achiness) and that will improve in time. I don't need to return to see him again until January unless I have a problem.

After a long week of feeling achy and stiff, it was nice to hear that I'm doing well. I actually had a better day yesterday as well, although I am still taking 3 hydrocodones per day (usually one when I wake up and am achy, one late afternoon and one before I go to bed). I will take a Tamodol if needed during the day.

I am pedaling the bike at PT both forward and back - all the way around. Doctor cleared me to swim, so I will unfreeze my gym membership starting Oct 1, and see if I can do some water exercises and maybe the water aerobics class. I walked up the stairs today one foot in front of the other - and purposely didn't use the handrail - just to see if I can do it. I did it - all with just my legs - and it wasn't hard. I tried to take a step going downstairs the right way - but it really hurt so only did one step. For now, I will keep going downstairs sideways. I am not using my cane most days in the house - other than overnight when I get up and I'm very stiff. I do use the cane outside, but the doctor feels that in about a week or so I might be ready to not use it anymore. I am sleeping about 4-5 hours pretty solidly - and then wake up achy and stiff. I can fall back asleep pretty quickly - but will usually get up and go to the bathroom - mostly just to stretch my legs.

I went to my son's soccer game on Sunday for a few hours, and went out to lunch with a friend yesterday. It's definitely much easier to get around. All in all, I'm continuing to progress - each week brings improvement. @Crow22 Happy 6 weeks!!
 
That's a pretty awesome report, congratulations! You sound like you're feeling a lot like I am and only being 1 week apart on surgery dates I guess that means we are progressing "normally". My leg has ached less over the past week so maybe that gives you something to look forward to soon. Now, if someone could tell us exactly what day we would stop being so darned stiff!
 
@gr82cu2 Thanks!!! I think we are feeling very much alike, as I've said before, everything you felt especially last week, could have been written by me. Great to know you're feeling a bit better.......my dr really seemed to feel that we (at 6/7 weeks) are "over the hump". Hope so!!

@PuppyLove Thanks :) I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!! You'll do great - and we'll be here to cheer you on once you get home. Keep in touch!!
 
Seven Week Update:
I have had a lot of difficulties this week with stiffness (I totally understand why I read on here that stiffness is pain - ouch!!) in my hamstrings and calves. That said, my knees are definitely feeling better and I only take hydrocodone now usually in the afternoon and one at night. I take Tramodol during the day if needed, and will usually take one or two. PT has been doing a lot more massaging the back of my legs, trying to work out of the kinks that are stiff and sore and spasming. Like @Crow22, I find the bicycle helpful to relieve that stiff/sore feeling - and can do 10 min without any issues. I am still using the cane out and about, mostly due to the stiffness - but tend to not use it at all at home. I'm not driving yet, but sat in the car today and think I can now as I seemed to have no difficulties moving my leg. I will hold off the rest of this week since I'm still taking some meds during the day, but plan to begin driving soon.

I have multiple outings this week, including my son's back to school night. This consisted of going to all his classes - 7 periods - and sitting and walking for 2 1/2 hours. I was very stiff that evening and my legs ached a bit, but it was very doable. PT hasn't measured my ROM this week - but last Friday I was at 105 and 102. So, I'm not sure if I've increased any range since last week, as I'm so stiff. BUT, it was much easier to get to those numbers - and I didn't have to push for them at all.

I'm planning to unfreeze my gym membership starting Oct 1, and look forward to going back to do some water therapy/stretching etc in the pool. If I wasn't so stiff I think I'd be saying i'm doing awesome - it's just very hard to do anything with all the stiffness........but I've come very far in 7 weeks and look forward to the stiffness easing up as I get even further out. Sleeping is still difficult - I have no problem falling asleep and I stay asleep for 5 hours now. When I wake up though, I am so sore and aching from having my legs bent in a certain position for too long. I will sometimes get up and walk to the bathroom to stretch them out, and will usually take a Tramadol. I have no problems going back to bed again after that but will wake up very stiff and sore.

All in all, it's going well and I am pleased that I continue to progress each day.
 
You continue to mirror me :) It was during this week that I had the most pain in my hamstring tendons. It came on with no warning and left just the same so hang in there. During that week I did a lot of quad sets and ankle flexing when I was resting so that may be what helped to work it out. Your meds are about the same as mine too for your 7th week. I stopped taking hydrocodone and now only take Tramadol anywhere from 1 to 3 a day, depending. The stiffness at night is easing up for me and today I walked up and down the stairs to the basement like I owned them, LOL!! I'm still getting some stiffness when I'm up on my feet for awhile but that is getting better. Now, if I could get this knee to bend another 10-15 degrees and not feel stiff when I do it I'd be all set. You are doing fantastic considering you are dealing with both knees at the same time. I remain in awe of those of you who are brave enough to do that. (((hugs)))
 
@gr82cu2 Yes, I feel like I am very much following your course. When I read your posts, I swear I could have written them myself. I too need to get my knees to bend more......I feel like it's such a fine line at working on the bend - and trying to rest and take care of myself and not do too much. I actually felt better sleeping last night and the stiffness seemed a bit better this morning. I was feeling pretty good and cleaned the kitchen and did a few more things. Now I'm sitting with the ice machine -but it's nice to feel good for a change.

Thanks for the kudos for doing both knees at once.....but honestly, I think it's just as much of a challenge to do two close together as you are. You are just as strong!! Wishing you a comfortable and stiff-free day!
 
Yes, it is a very fine line! I'm certain if my OS knew how much time I sit and do nothing he'd have a stroke! But, he hasn't had this surgery and I doubt he gets how uncomfortable it can be to be up on it a lot. He has made a big deal to me a couple of times how he's had 4 shoulder surgeries. I know that's painful but no one has to bear their full weight on their shoulder. I felt better the past couple of days but today my leg ache is back. Hopefully it won't hang around too long. Have a great day!
 
Eight Week Update: I can't believe it's been 8 weeks!!! Not too much new to report, same stiffness, achiness and difficulties with hamstring/calf areas. PT has been focusing more on massaging to try to loosen me up. My hamstrings are trying to take over all the work, instead of using my quads. She's having me do more exercises for quads, plus used electric stim today to start getting the quads working more. Today at PT, she had me go down to the floor. I hadn't been on the floor since my surgery. I was able to get down pretty easily. She asked me to see if I could kneel. I thought it would hurt, but it didn't at all - I was surprised. I didn't stay on my knees, just enough to see if I could. I was on the floor to do bridges and a few other exercises to try to get my glutes working, and then quads, and working on relaxing the hamstrings. My Flexion is 106 and 110 and extension is 3 and 2 on my back, and 0 on my stomach. It's so frustrating that my ROM is so slow to come, but it's steadily getting better so I know I'll get there. I still use the cane when I go out, only because I tire and get stiff. I don't use it around the house at all. I can go up the stairs like a big girl, without holding on or needing the railing (although by the end of the day, I'm stiff and tired and will use the railing to help). I still go downstairs sideways - my ROM in my right leg at 106 is just shy of being able to go down comfortable the normal way - and it hurts so I don't.

It's been a bit of a difficult week because I'm just so tired of being tired. And tired of being achey. And tired of being patient. I wake up often during the night with my legs in muscle spasms (the sides of my thighs and butt) from weird positions I'm sleeping in. But, I'm sleeping so I'm not complaining. I'm still taking the same pain meds - I was down to 2 hydrocodones a day but am now up to 3. Plus I take 2-3 Tramadols as well. I feel like I'm not making progress since I always feel the same, but I know there are so many things I can do now than before. Last night, we went out to dinner for a Mexican fix. I was able to walk to/from the parking garage, sit through dinner without having to stand and stretch and enjoy time with the family. It was nice to get out. My biggest concern now is that I only have 4 weeks left until when I was going to go back to work. I don't like the feeling of having that hanging over me. But, if I'm not ready - I will stay out longer. Or go back part-time.

My friend drove me to PT today in a little teeny tiny sports car. I got down and in, and up and out without any problems. Tomorrow is a big day - I'm going to drive for the first time since my surgery!! This means I won't take any pain meds when I wake up - just Tylenol - until I get back home. Wish me luck - and stay off the roads, LOL.
 
Love your weekly updates! You are me and I am you! I could say all the same things, even down to eating dinner out with family yesterday :) Well, I haven't been asked to get down on the floor at PT. Why did they have you do that I wonder?

I'm only taking Tramadol, Tylenol and Aleve now. I do have a stash of Hydrocodone but I'm saving it for an emergency or for my 2nd knee if OS decides to be stingy with the pain meds. I'll be out of Tramadol in about another week I reckon.
 
@gr82cu2 Thanks!!! I sometimes think about not posting each week, as I don't know how many people are reading it. But hopefully this will be helpful for others so I keep plugging away :) I really do see so much of you in me...right down to your feelings this week. For you, you are anticipating your next surgery - and for me, it's having to go back to work. As the time approaches, I get more frustrated, worried, annoyed and tired of the achey feeling. It just gets so tiring to feel the same way each day!

How funny is that, that we stash medicine. I have mine as well......just in case!!

So here's why I was on the floor at PT..........So she wanted me to do a few bridges, and normally before I had done them on the table. She asked me if I'd been down on the floor yet, and I told her no, I was afraid to try. So, she said let's give it a try - just so you know you can do it! So she grabbed a chair and showed me one or two ways to get down - and then showed me a few ways to get up. I think it was more because I didn't think I could do it - and I think she wanted to show me I could. I had told her I was a bit frustrated feeling like I hadn't been making progress - so I think it was her way to show me that I am.
 
I have gotten down on the floor briefly a couple of times looking for my cats favorite toy, LOL. I managed to be briefly on my operated knee both times and didn't like it a bit. All OS are different but mine told me never to be on my knees. Since we've been out scraping, painting and caulking the past several days there have been quite a few times I wanted to sit down on my behind but I worried about getting back up especially from a hard surface. My bending at the waist skills are certainly improving :)

Hopefully you'll make great progress in the next 4 weeks before returning to work. You know, I really think at this point it's down to swelling for the most part. I'm still hunting for the magic anti swelling remedy. If I find it I'll send you one :)
 
@gr82cu2 Imagine the money and fame you would get if you succeeded in that magic pill. I'll take two!! :)

It is interesting that different thoughts of each OS - mine is fine with me kneeling. That said, he said many are uncomfortable doing it - and he basically says everything in moderation. Some say no skiing, no running, etc. Again, mine says "do what you want. Again, just in moderation." I would love to jog again. I'd love to run a 5k (I'm slow - I'm not a runner). A marathon? No worries........that would never happen - even if I had old perfect knees!!!
 
Thanks for a great post op thread. I read it this morning between breakfast and shower. You make the ups and downs very clear to those of us, on the road to recovery, or about to be.

Continue improving and I hope everyone's swelling goes down!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom