Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jane B. Thanks!!! This journey is certainly full of ups and downs.........luckily I seem to be headed down the right road to recovery......eventually!!

The big news of today is that I drove!!!! I took my son to the orthodontist - we survived. It was actually easy to drive, and I believe I could have easily done it several weeks ago. I was concerned about the stiffness, and being able to brake quickly if needed, etc. I had no problems at all. The issue is that I didn't take any pain meds this morning, as I knew I was going to drive. I just took some Tylenol. I am sore now, once I'm home and just took a hydrocodone and am settled back into my recliner. That said, it felt good to drive and it's great to know I can do it!!!
 
Thanks for your posts @ljrfrm - you wondered, at one point, how many people are reading them. I am! You are doing your journey about 3 months ahead of mine, and it's good for me to learn about your "adventure" which helps me prepare for mine. Thank you for taking the time. The great news is that you drove today!! What a freeing feeling that must have been.
 
@Threads Thanks!!! I'm glad this is helping others. Please let me know if you ever have any questions!
 
I will! Thanks for your and everyone's generosity in sharing their experience with BTKRs. I'll keep following your progress.
 
Congrats on driving!:driver: You did the right thing to come home, take a pill and ice and elevate. You're getting there bit by bit!
 
Hi there! I just started watching your thread. Wow I cant imagine having them both done at the same time, but in many ways I wish I had! I wouldn't be starting all over again now. My doctor just didn't give me that option so I didn't make that decision. Sounds like you are staying positive and doing well! Stop in my thread sometime!
 
Hi @ConnieJOS, I will definitely come by your thread!! My doctor doesn't do many BTKR, but when I asked him about it, he said he would consider it. So, when it was time we discussed the pros and cons and he was all for it. I'm glad I did it this way - but sometimes do wonder what it would have been like to do each one at a time. Both my knees were about the same, so I really didn't have a good leg to stand on, so I figured I might as well go for it.
Wow, looking at your signature, you're had your hands full with surgeries - you are much more bionic than I am. Looking forward to reading your thread!!
 
Hey @ljrfrm congrats to you on driving, you go girl! We will start calling you Mario! I'll write my update on my post, but it's so good to hear that you are doing SO very well. You just keep up the hard work, and I know you can see all the everyday changes and progress that you are making. Just think of everything that they did to fix our knees. I know it's hard some days, but hey we are getting there. Sending you a big hug as always. Keep that smile on your face little surgery sister!
 
Hugs @Crow22.....Good to hear from you!!! Can't wait to read your update, I'm sure you are doing fantastic!!!!
 
Nine Week Update: This is crazy - the weeks are just flying by. I can't believe I am 9 weeks. Somewhat depressing to think I have to return to work in 3 weeks, as I definitely don't think I'll be ready. I'll have to reassess those plans in a few weeks and maybe change dates if needed. It's been a hard week. I started driving, so had lowered my pain meds to only nighttime, but I am just not ready to not take anything during the day. I tried both Tylenol and Ibuprofen, and neither gave me appropriate relief. The achey, stiff, uncomfortable feeling just really ruined my day with the meds. I don't take that much, but have returned to several Tramodols during the day, and a Hydrocodone late afternoon and at bedtime.

PT was just reduced from 3 days per week to 2 a week. My ROM is slowly improving...with the emphasis on the word slowly. My extension is 114 on the left and 107 on the right. That's just up 1 degree on the right and 2 on the left. But, it's up, so I'm happy. I've worked a lot this week on my quads and hamstrings, and continue to work on strength. I unfroze my gym membership yesterday and did about 15 min on the bicycle. Then I had a 20 min upper body massage (way better than working out LOL), and plan to start swimming on Wednesday. I'm worried about getting myself out of the pool yesterday - fingers crossed!!

I have attended soccer games, helped my son pack and done various household chores and activities this week. I am definitely improving....but - I've also been swollen, achey, tired, stiff and uncomfortable. It's so hard to find a happy medium between no moving enough and joining the Over-Do-It-Club. I feel like I should be further along in my recovery - but between my knees swelling and/or tight hamstrings, calves, etc. I continue to be very stiff and need continued work on my ROM.

I continue to sleep about the same - I go for a 4-5 hour stretch and wake up tight and spasming. Even if I don't have to go to the bathroom, I will usually get up and go to get a quick stretch. I can then fall back asleep easily - although somewhat sore from the spasms/tightness.

Everything is progressing though - I just need to stay patient - which is definitely hard!
 
I'm new here. This is my first post. I had my left TKR on 08/11/2014. This would be my 8th week.

I'm taking Hydrocodone (10mg but I only take half pill) 4 times a day. I still have a lot of swelling and stiffness. My ROM is 110 on bending and 5 on extention. I go to PT twice a week and the rest, I go to the gyym for various stretching.

For the last 2 months, my sleep is hardly last more than 3 hours each night and I feel tired all the time. I know my ROM is low but it doesn't bother me as much as the stiffness. It starts as soon as 5 minutes after I stay on my feet.

My doctor told me the swelling can take up to a year for it to heal. I would like to know how long did it take you to get over with the stiffness.

Thanks.
Yh
 
@ljrfrm Happy 9weeks! It sounds like you are doing really great, and I know you had to love the massage! I've also considered swimming, as I think it will be a great way to get back in shape and tone up. With your ROM I don't think you will have any problem getting out of the pool.
I too am stiff, esp in the mornings. My PT guy said it will probably last quite a while, so I'm with ya my awesome surgery buddie!
I would say return to work when you are ready, It's been quite a traumatic process we've been through and our knees are just going to heal at their own rate. (Spoken by ms. over doer herself!!) lol
Sending you hugs.
 
@Crow22 Thanks surgery buddy - you are my hero, as you are doing so amazing!!!
 
@yh2665 Thanks for checking in. It sounds like we are around the same stage. It's helpful to see others doing the same. I am still very stiff each day, and have a difficult time straightening my legs. I can do it when i'm stretched out - but just not without lots of work. Best wishes for a great recovery - and keep in touch!!
 
Thanks ljrfrm.

For me, the easiest way and not too painful to straighten my leg is to do it either in the whirlpool or the pool. I go to 24 hrs Fitness and use one of the foam stick they have there and use my leg to press it down while keeping it straight. After a week, I can see it straighten out a little more.

Since we are around the same time, and you still have the same problem with stiffness as mine, I guess we have similar progression.

I hope to hear from others to see how they're doing. Thanks again ljrfrm.
 
@yh2665 I will be trying the pool for the first time this week. Will definitely see how the bending/straightening goes in the water. I tend to straighten the most on my stomach- that way my tight hamstrings don't get in the way. I do think we're progressing appropriately - it is just slow. @gr82cu2 also has similar problems with stiffness, etc.
 
I went swimming for the first time today. I put it off until I thought I might be able to get out of the pool without assistance. The pool at the gym only has ladders to get out, not steps. I was worried I would have pain/difficulties climbing out with the ladder. They do have a handicapped lift but I didn't want to use it and they didn't seem pretty clear even on who knew how to operate the lift. The good news for the day is that I climbed out of the pool on my own, and didn't require help. The first two steps up the ladder were pretty easy - the final one onto the pool deck with hard but not too painful. I did 30 min in the pool with stretches, walking forward and backwards, toe raises, marching and bending. It felt nice to get some good stretches in and didn't seem painful at the time. I then grabbed a kickboard and had planned to kick up and down the pool for a few laps. Well......I started kicking and guess what? I wasn't moving! It was actually kind of funny as I felt like I was kicking away like an Olympian - and I didn't move at all! I guess what felt like strong kicks were probably just weak little flutters, LOL. I then tried the frog kick, which hurt a bit and still didn't seem to help me more. I finally put the kickboard back down, and swam two laps breat stroke - mostly arms, but maybe a small modified frog kick with it. I can't say that I'll win any swimming medals, but I did it! I am a bit achey now in my knees and my right calf is sore (tight muscles type of soreness) but all in all, I don't feel that bad for everything that I did. I'm sure the swimmer in the lane next to me, racing with his butterfly and super freestyle post found a bit of humor in my swim, but I loved it.
 
WOW, @ljrfrm ! How wonderful to be back in the pool. I'm just home from my Aquafit class and my knees are getting less happy by the week. So, picturing you climbing in and out of the pool and just being able to have that freedom in the water, is inspiring! You are just a little over 8 weeks out so I'll set my goal for back in the pool for mid-January. One's got to set goals, right? Way to go :dancy:. That little person looks like he's doing a backstroke, sort of.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom