Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Napping is good at this stage. (Or any day. :heehee: ) You are probably at the worst stage for stiffness. You can have a lot of swelling at this point which is part of the stiffness problem. It will get better.
 
Napping is good at this stage. (Or any day. :heehee: ) You are probably at the worst stage for stiffness. You can have a lot of swelling at this point which is part of the stiffness problem. It will get better.
My swelling does seem to be at its worse today. Thanks for the reminder that it will get better. While I know this is a journey, each day does feel long. (and especially nights when you don't/can't sleep).
 
@2014knees and @gr82cu2 Thanks for the good wishes.

I'm hanging in there, and thinking of everyone here really helps. Here's my update - yesterday was one weeks since surgery:

Pain - I'm still in quite a bit of pain. The meds help, but I am still having to take them every 4 hours.

Swelling - It's gotten really bad, which I think is adding to the pain. Both legs (left is worse, even though right has been my "problem child") feel like I have a bunch of bricks duct taped to them. It impacts my bend and my ability to walk. I am elevating and icing continually which helps a bit. The nurse told me that part of it might be due to being on Coumadin, which causes more internal bleeding/fluid, etc. I really think if I can get this swelling down I would feel much better. I have the most pain when I stand up after sitting for awhile. My legs are so tight and feel like they are about to explode. Once I start moving, they loosen up and I feel better.

PT - I've been two times now. My ROM has gone from 90 at the hospital to 77 and 71 (due to swelling). I was a bit bummed thinking I've taken too many steps back - but the PT helped me to see how well I'm doing. She noted that from this past Friday's vist to Monday's visit I am now able to lift my leg, put on my own socks and less help needed with shoes, get on the PT table by myself, lift my legs up on my own onto the pillow and other odds and ends things. She reminded me that I have to celebrate with small wins - and not just get stuch on a number. I have to say that PT is a bit difficult - there isn't anything that I can do without some amount of pain - so the idea of if it hurts, don't do it is difficult because I woldn't be doing anything then. The PT and I had a talk about this yesterday, and her take on it is that if I do an exercise and it continues to hurt AFTER I finish the exercise, then I shouldn't do it. If it stops hurting when I stop, and then I can do it. Not sure what everyone else thinks about this advice?

Sleep - I am doing better in this area. After not sleeping all night, I have now had threee nights in a row where I have slept decently. I have been falling asleep around midnight and waking up around 4 am (waking from pain I think), I take some meds and fall back asleep usually until around 8 am. During the four hours of sleep, I usually wake up every hour briefly but fall back asleep quickly. So, I'm not getting 8 hours of solid sleep, but I am sleeping for 8 hours which really helps. We've had house guests so I haven't been napping during the day which I really need. I am definitely going to nap today.

All in all, this is definitely a difficult but do-able recovery. It's been very helpful to have read so many other recovery threads, and know that much of what I'm feeling is normal, and does get better. While I feel like I haven't made any progress during my first week of recovery, I have to remind myself I have come so far.
 
[Bonesmart.org] It's finally time!!
@ljrfrm, your first week sounds completely "normal". The first two to three weeks are the roughest. If you follow the BoneSmart mantras to the letter, things will get better and better and bumps in the road will be few and far between. On the other hand, if you ignore the mantras, chances are your knees will make you pay.

Ignore ROM numbers at this point in time. You are still dealing with swelling right now and will be for a few weeks. Just follow the mantras and know that this is going to take a lot of TIME & PATIENCE.

Take care, keep up the good work, and keep us posted. We care.
 
You seem to be doing pretty well. You're right that the swelling is limiting your bend, but it will get better. your PT sounds pretty sensible.
 
@bottomshollow @sjnyc323 and @kneeper Thanks so much - the support is very helpful. I just spoke with the dr office about my Coumadin levels so asked them about the swelling which just seems to be getting worse and worse, they want me to just "stay the course" and continue with the icing, elevating and not doing anything in PT that hurts. Sounds like they are in agreement with all of you :)
 
ljrfrm you are doing amazing! At one week I was no where close to what you are doing! I will hit 1 month tomorrow, everyday gets better! I can't imagine doing the stairs, I still have not done any! I spent 5 days in hospital, and 9 days in rehab. My sanity has been reading other people posts and following the mantras! I can't believe a month has passed, just had my first outing, loved it! Good luck to you, I hope they get your neausea under control, they used a ear patch on me .Thank Goodness it lasted 7 days!
 
@ljrfrm Hang in there with the swelling. I'm now at the beginning of my 3rd week and it most definitely is getting better. I've spent copious amounts of time with my leg elevated and ice on it. My only home activities are my home PT exercises, going to the kitchen for a quick snack or drink and to use the potty. We've got to let those tissues heal by resting and it takes time.
 
ljrfrm you are doing amazing! At one week I was no where close to what you are doing! I will hit 1 month tomorrow, everyday gets better! I can't imagine doing the stairs, I still have not done any! I spent 5 days in hospital, and 9 days in rehab. My sanity has been reading other people posts and following the mantras! I can't believe a month has passed, just had my first outing, loved it! Good luck to you, I hope they get your neausea under control, they used a ear patch on me .Thank Goodness it lasted 7 days!
Thanks so much. Your post really helped me put this all in perspective. I just got back from PT and they just told me how great I'm doing too. I wish you a healthy and positive recovery - we can do this!!!
 
@ljrfrm Hang in there with the swelling. I'm now at the beginning of my 3rd week and it most definitely is getting better. I've spent copious amounts of time with my leg elevated and ice on it. My only home activities are my home PT exercises, going to the kitchen for a quick snack or drink and to use the potty. We've got to let those tissues heal by resting and it takes time.
I've been following your recovery and it is all really helping me too - thanks. I too don't do any activities at home. I try to get up off the recliner every hour or so and walk down the hall either to the bathroom or just to stretch. I do a few moderate exercises as I'm able to, and I go to outpatient PT three times per week. Other than that, it's ice, elevation, pain pills and HGTV. I have all kinds of cool things I'm planning to do to my house LOL........I think my husband is ready for me to turn the channel :)
 
Quick update on me: Swelling is still really bad. ROM is still down from 90 to 72 and 70. The low number doesn't bother me - it's just the pain and stiffness which is so hard. However, I feel much stronger today overall and more energy. There's more that I can do on my own - it was easier to get into the car, do the exercises at PT, I got my own shoes on, went up and down the stairs much quicker than yesterday, etc. My PT told me she thought I was well ahead of where I should be - it's just the swelling that's stopping my progression. So, I do feel a bit more positive today. You all have helped a lot with my outlook......I'm sure it will be an up and down rollercoaster for awhile. For now, I'll just keep sitting here with my ice!!!
 
. My PT told me she thought I was well ahead of where I should be - it's just the swelling that's stopping my progression.

See, there ya go! You are well ahead. I know it's frustrating with the swelling but you had TWO knees replaced! Those of us with just one have our "good" knee to take some of the force of walking and standing, when we do. You don't have that luxury.

I just came home from PT and talked to my therapist (who I love by the way) about the swelling and how stiff my knee is. She said even though the swelling appears to be down from the outside it is still plenty swollen on the inside and the knee is a particularly tight joint even under normal circumstances. There just is not room in there for the swelling fluid too. Plus we have incisions that are tight and tendons and muscles that are all sore and tight too. It just takes time.

My ROM increased 10 degrees since I was last at PT 5 days ago. My swelling has also subsided quite a bit in that time so I'm sure that's why. You are only 9 days post surgery so rest, relax and ice, ice, ice. Give that swelling a chance to go down and your stiffness will get better too.
 
@gr82cu2 Thanks!! It's not that I'm too anxious to be better too soon - I know it takes time. I'm just tired of being in pain, and feel frustrated that the ice/elevation isn't helping. Your support helps and I know I just need to be patient - and it will get better!

And congrats to you on your progress!!!
 
2 week update:

Sleep: I'm sleeping very well. I just started being able to roll onto my side with a pillow between my legs. It doesn't last too long, as I get achy but it's nice to be able to do so for a bit. I usually fall asleep easily each night around 11:30 and sleep until around 3 am (good solid sleep). I go to bed hooked up to my ice machine and will unhook myself around 3 am when I wake up. I go to the bathroom (which gives my legs a needed stretch) and will take pain meds. I then sleep solidly again until around 8 am or so. The last two days I've dozed again until around 10 am which is very nice. I haven't been napping regularly anymore during the day, as there's too much going on here with my boys getting ready to go back to school, etc. so I'm very ready to sleep by the time I go to bed at night.

Pain: The pain has changed from sharp, stabbing pains when I lift my legs, move, etc. to a more deep ache. I went a few days without taking pain meds during the day (didn't think I needed them) and paid for it in the early evening with a lot of aching. So, I try to continue to take one hydrocodone pill every 4-6 hours. I still take two at night before I sleep. I have Tramadol as well and usually take just 1-2 as needed in the late afternoons/evenings. I am running out of the pills so will talk to the dr tomorrow to see if he wants me to take the same meds or try something else. My biggest complaint is not so much pain, but a feeling that I need to stretch/bend my legs and I can't - although the achiness is hard too, which is why I now know that I need keep up with the meds, even when I'm feeling a bit better.

PT: My ROM still isn't all that great, but I feel like my swelling is down a bit, and I'm bending a little bit more. My extension today was .3 on one side and .4 on the other side. I had to work hard to get there, my legs naturally like to stay at around 12. She didn't measre my bend - but like I said, I think it's a bit better. This past Friday, I went from 72 to 78 which made me happy (on left leg) but my right leg dropped down to 68 (swelling was bad on that side on Friday). As I was at 90 when I left the hospital, I'm looking forward to getting back to that point soon. Today I did 10 min on the bicycle (just rocking), I used the leg press, did some side steps, marching and some other easier exercises. They are very good at not hurting me and not pushing me too much.

Swelling: I feel like I'm finally on top of it and it's not getting worse, and if anything, it's a bit better. I still spend the majority of my day in my recliner hooked up to my ice machine with my legs elevated on pillows. I try to get my legs up very high on the back of the sofa once or twice a day and do a few ankle pumps. I think this is what really helped me at least reduce a little swelling this past weekend.

Strength: I'm surprise at how strong I feel. I am easily taking steps now without the walker, I'm getting up and down the stairs much quicker (it's not pretty but I get the job done) I shower, dry myself and my hair easily now, can stand on one leg getting dressed, etc. It's nice to not be so reliant on others anymore.

I have my 2 week check up with my OS tomorrow. I got my Coumadin blood draw today so I'll see tomorrow if it needs to be altered. I'm hoping to get off the Coumadin next week (fingers crossed). I'm also silently praying that I can stop wearing these awful TED hose, but something tells me he might make me wait a few more weeks. I will be one happy lady when they can come off. I also should get my staples removed.

@Crow22 Thinking of you........hope you are progressing well.
 
It sounds like you are doing really well and gaining some independence back. That goes a long way in improving our attitudes about ourselves and where we are with recovery. I was also able last week to lift my leg over the side of the tub to get in and shower, all by myself :) It felt good to do that! I still can't lay on my side. I've tried and it just hurts too much but maybe one day I'll be able to do that again. I totally get what you mean about wanting to bend your knee comfortably. One of my favorite positions to sit in was "indian" style. It's not happening now, that's for sure. I've had the aching also now for the 3rd day. Otherwise though things are feeling pretty good except when I try to force my bend during exercises. That brick wall is just not budging! Take care and thanks for the update. I'm happy to hear you are sleeping well. That is a big road block for so many people here. (((hugs)))
 
@gr82cu2 The whole sleeping on my side thing was weird because one night I couldn't do it and then all of a sudden the next night I did. It wasn't like a little by little thing. Here's hoping we can all sit in our favorite positions soon!!
 
I had my two week post surgical appt today with the OS. It went very well. He was very pleased with my xrays - and said all looked good. He saw me walking down the hall with the nurse on my way to the exam room and yelled "show off". LOL, but it made me feel good about how I'm doing. My staples were removed and I can now shower without seran wrap!! He seemed happy with the way the swelling is going down and didn't seem worried at all about my ROM which was my big concern. All in all, it was a very positive visit. I go back again in 4 weeks.

I also had PT today. I was so happy that my ROM went from 78 to 86 on my left knee and 68 to 81 on my right knee. As my swelling isn't quite as bad, it's nice to see some progress back to where I was before.

I had a full long day and it's only 3:30 pm - so I'm resting in the recliner, back with my ice machine and stack of pillows. (with my Starbucks!).

I feel like I made two nice steps forward today - I know I will have some steps back as well, but for now, it feels good.
 
That's great news on your flexion and I'm so happy to hear you had a good checkup with your OS. I bet it felt so good to get those staples out. Congratulations! You had a great day :cheers:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom