Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR It's finally time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ljrfrm I'm sorry to hear of your nausea, it hit me too that first night. Sending you good healing vibes for a settled stomach and feeling better. Let us know how you are doing when you can.
 
Seems like nausea is a common problem. Whenever I've had general anesthesia, I've been nauseous afterwards. Hope it's under control and you're on the right track now!
 
Glad you are okay. My OS gives anti nausea med before the surgery and I think it must help. Feel better and update when you can.
 
Ask your doc for something for the nausea if it doesn't settle down. :console2:
 
So sorry for you. I was lucky and did not have any nausea but I do know how miserable and draining it can be. Take it easy and catch us up when you are up to it. I do hope they deal with it for your sake.
 
Well, I'm home. I'm doing much better although I'm sure tired of shivering from the ice machine. My ROM was measured at 90 yesterday. Pain meds have been a bit willy nilly, depending on what my stomach was tolerating so I feel like I never had any type of pain management plan and got behind. I always get sick with surgery - but usually just the night of the procedure. The anethesiologist gave me multiple medicines to hopfully avoid what happened Tuesday but it didn't work. I was so sick all day Tuesday that it really took a lot out of me.

I arrived for the surgery at 6 am and they took me back pretty quickly. I met everyone - discussed both the pain management and anti-nausea plans (all good plans which didn't quite work) and went into the OR about 5 min late after getting my happy juice. I woke up after the 3 1/2 hour procedure and they told me that the surgery went well - and they saw what they expected (bone-on-bone and "old" knees). I felt pretty good after the surgery - and told them I didn't believe them when they told me I was going to walk to my bed on the floor. But, I did - my husband video taped it in case I didn't remember it after. I started feeling nauseous Mon night so I didn't eat much other than a bit of chicken noodle soup. My husband stayed until about 8 pm and I went right to bed when he left - dozing off and on all night.

Tuesday was the bad day - staring from when I woke up until I went to bed. We tried pretty much every anti-nausea med that I had ever heard of - and none worked. Finally that evening a mixture of a few of them at the same time helped me turn the corner. I have to admit, I did have that "what did I get myself into" moment - but at the point, I had no choice other than to just keep trudging along.

My doctor had offered for me to go home on Wed but after the tough day I had, we both decided I would stay one more day. Once I was able to eat something and keep my meds down, I felt much better. I felt I was still behind with pain, but not as bad. The nurses tried hard, but I really think they weren't quite sure what to do with me - even though they should have.

I had group PT classes on both Tuesday and Wednesday. My ROM on Tuesday was 82 on left knee and 83 on right knee. I was able to get them up to 90 the next day. I'm taking all kinds of meds to "get things moving" toilet wise - and think I'll feel much better once I get that sorted out.

I spent my first afternoon home on my recliner, with my legs raised and my ice machine working. We had a minor crisis when the power cord of the machine wasn't in the box.....luckily my husband found it in my son's room (he had taken it to school following a surgery a few years ago).

Thanks to everyone for all the good thoughts and advice. I appreciate and definitely can use all the support!!
 
Glad you're home! Just being home will make you feel better. Make sure you rest a lot, ice a lot and keep those legs elevated. You'll be up and running in no time. Did you mean to say or imply you walked from recovery to your room? Wow!!!
 
@gr82cu2 Thanks!!!!! I walked from the hallway, getting off the stretcher, and into the room from my bed. Not from recovery.
 
@ljrfrm So very glad to hear you are on the road to recovery minus the nausea! I feel each day I get a little better, and it's very baby steps, but steps none the less. I know you will feel the same too. Just do what you can and rest and ice. I have my first PT today in my home, so we will see how it goes, been doing my PT exercises from the hospital, and I can see my legs getting stronger everyday. My left knee is definitely my weaker, with more swelling and stiffness, but all in all not to bad. Sending you lots of good healing vibes there surgery sister.
 
Well - I did it. I was so worried about those 15 stairs to my bedroom. It was fine!! I spent the day yesterday downstairs in the recliner and headed up around 10 pm. I used the railing and the cane - and led with my "good" leg (which is my left leg......used to be the bad one!). My first night home went fine - I slept well from about 1:00 - 4:00 am and got up to go to the bathroom. I dozed for a few hours - but was dreaming so must have been sleeping more than I thought. I had some crazy dreams last night (including one when I was out on the metro - ran into a bunch of people I work with - and only after talking to them realized I had forgot to put my pants on!). I washed up in the morning, and came downstairs for my day - taking the stairs sideways, which felt a little safer for me. So, here I am once again in my recliner with my ice machine.

I head out to my first physical therapy at 12:45. My doctor prefers us using outpatient right away if we're able to. I also have to go out for Coumadin level draws - and they can't send a nurse in-home since I'm already going out for PT, the insurance "assumes" I can get around no problem. I do wish that I wasn't going out - but will probably be glad eventually that I did so.

I may call my doctor today - as I still don't feel I'm getting good pain relief - it's ok, but definitely doesn't last the 4 hours, and I want to stay on top of it before the weekend comes. Hopefully each day will continue to improve and bring me one step closer to recovery.
 
@Crow22 My right knee is my "bad" one, as the left I can lift on my own, move etc. But my right knee has a mind of it's own. Keep up the great work......and rest today!!!
 
Good luck with your doc. They had me on pain meds every 3 hours for the first week, so maybe they'll allow that or change your meds. Sounds like you're getting around ok.
REmember lots of icing and elevating when you get home from PT and the blood draws.
 
@kneeper Thanks. I think I got meds worked out - they were very attentive and concerned that I was still having a lot of pain. I'm glad they listened and hopefully it will all be worked out now.

I made it through the first outpatient PT apointment. I found that getting in the car was easier today than yesterday - although getting my shoes on for the first time was not easy!! My ROM was 89 in the left knee but I went from 90 to 73 in the left. Something tells me that my right knee will be my problem child!!
 
@ljrfrm Look at you go girl! It sounds like you are doing awesome. Glad that you are getting things (med wise) worked out. My problem child is getting better and I'm amazed at the mobility gained in just a short time.
 
Just when you think you are going, you take two steps back. Ugh. The meds have helped the pain, but I am feeling somewhat nauseous again. I've never had issue with pain pills before - bummer. I only slept about an hour last night - I just couldn't get comfortable at all.

I finally took a shower and survived. What an ordeal. I think it may take me all day to recover from that! I'm in my recliner - here alone - it's quiet and I'm exhausted. Hopefully I can nap for a few hours.

So, I started getting this tight band feeling across my knees. I think I remember people talking about it. I get it when I stand up after sitting - like a huge cramp. It actually feels like a huge child birth contraction, as it eventually loosens up. I guess I'm giving birth to these new knees LOL.

@Crow22 Thinking of you. So glad you're getting some more mobility back. My problem child is still creating problems - quite the stubborn little thing. Rest and keep in touch!!!
 
@ljrfrm rest up honey, the fatigue is probably one of the most overwhelming things for me too so far. But hey you got to take a shower! Wow how awesome was that? No shower for me for.... 12 to 16 days! lol.
I can relate to the tightness, I seem to get it across the back of my knees, and I've been having spasms at night. I was reading someone's post about massaging the leg, and it does help. I'm so sorry that you are having a rough day, but you bilateral buddie's here and you are not alone there sister. One day at a time, and tomorrow will be better. Sending you a hug and I've found chocolate really helps! lol
 
Congratulations on the shower! Definitely a bit of an event at first. :)
 
@kneeper The shower was definitely an ordeal and it's not a good hair day - but boy does it feel good to be clean!

@Crow22 I took a nice two hour nap earlier today - I feel another one coming on too!! I need to improve a bit on doing my exercises. I feel my ROM is going the wrong direction and I just feel so stiff. I'm not doing the ones that hurt (which seem to be most of them) and am trying to be careful though. I love that you feel more mobile!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom