PKR It's a knees up - SuperSnappers recovery

Oh well you are looking after Mr P cant have him getting lethargic can we. You are doing well tho and btw I didnt say I would stand still, thee might be snaperoo im hopperoooo

Legin THR Sep 14

Well, I might have gone and with this and said I was Restaroo!

"But," someone might have mistaken the Roo for Loo!:rotfl:

@SuperSnapper,

I sure hope we are alleviating your boredom, so you can rest and stay in bed!:friends:
 
@Josephine I wondered if I could ask about removing my waterproof dressing. I had internal sutures and glue and and am now 8 days out. They gave me more sterile waterproof dressings and I've changed the dressing twice. The scar looks fine and has knitted well. No information was given as to when to stop using the dressing. Am I ok now to take it off for good do you think?
 
Ooooooooooooooooo nursey

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@SuperSnapper - I had staples/clips to close my wound. `i have a waterproof dressing that I was told not to change until clips come out which is 9th December.

Hope you had a good night
Deb x
 
@Wilma. I don't have to go back until 20th January as no clips or staples :SUNsmile:

You have a good day too

Mary x
 
It was going to be a TKR then when I went back, the surgeon had looked again at the X-rays and said he'd like to think about a PKR but reserved the right to do the full one if necessary. So I didn't know until I was in the recovery room what he'd done. He said the lateral compartment was good and the knee cap had only very tminmal damage which he removed but the medial, inner compartment , was just as bad as it looked on ex ray . That was always the area where the pain came from. So that's how it happened. I did stress before the op ,that if he was at all unsure between one or the other, he should do the full one but he said once he'd got inside it became obvious that the PKR would be good. Apparently my ligaments and muscles are really strong after all that effort in the gym. I just hope it was a good decision. He seemed delighted with the way it went. I just wish it would stop bloomin hurting!

Mary x
 
@Josephine I wondered if I could ask about removing my waterproof dressing. I had internal sutures and glue and and am now 8 days out. They gave me more sterile waterproof dressings and I've changed the dressing twice. The scar looks fine and has knitted well. No information was given as to when to stop using the dressing. Am I ok now to take it off for good do you think?

Maybe you should call and ask how long they want you to have bandage on. Mine was solved quite quickly as a nurses aide gave me a sponge bath on the 2nd day in the shower, and her idea of a sponge, was lots of water flowing from head to toe! I had a bad reaction to the bandaid when it got wet, and blisters started forming! :yikes: My "nurse" said I was making it up, and I told her to call the doctor. This was 9am and if my husband hadn't walked in the door at 1:30 pm I would have still been fighting her. He made her come in the room, where she had been chatting w other nurses and having fun, and asked when it was coming off! She said "the Dr. gave the ok this morning, I just need someone to help me wrap it!":scaredycat::censored:
Well, that was good enough for me as I pulled back the covers to a band-aide that was just covering it. I had found nurses tape in the room, and peeled every part of the sticky stuff away. It's nice the things they leave, because they provided me w scissors also! Pat was mad when he saw all the blisters, and all she could do was chastise me for doing it without permission!
 
@RestAssured I did think of that but it's such a busy ward and it seems a little thing. Josephine is such a fount of knowledge.

The "energy " drain has just been experienced for the first time after me saying I hadn't had it at all since leaving hospital.

I showered, did a few exercises, went downstairs, sat at the table for lunch, walked around for a few minutes, climbed the stairs again and am now back in bed with my ice pack. Phew! That's a lot of activity in about an hour! I am tired. But it was a bit more comfy sitting at the table today, I could get a better bend and my walking is definitely improving a lot. So brilliant!

I also got another prescription for Tramadol from my GP! I was worried he might not let me have them but it was fine. Big relief.
 
I agree about asking,they might be busy but they still have a duty of care to you and must be able to answer a question like that. I had staples, so had to keep them covered until the nurse took them out.
Good news on the Tramadol, how many are you taking a day? My GP has prescribed one pack of 100 per month for 3 months, which I was happy with until I worked out that that is only 3 a day! I'm sure I took more than that last time.
 
@Ellejay, you are both right and I'll ring them tomorrow.

I got another 60 Tramadol and at the moment I'm only taking 2 per day plus 3500 mg of paracetamol. That sounds a bit low but I do have a high pain threshold - for two of my children's births I had no pain relief at all and I had a broken wrist for a week once and thought it was just a sprain!

I will take more meds if I need them but managing well so far and that much reduces the pain nicely. It feels like I have a safety margin. I couldn't cope without the ice although my need for that has reduced too as the heat has reduced from my knee quite noticeably over the last 2 days. I was burning through gel packs in about 1/2 hour at the weekend but they last much longer now.
 
I totally agree about the ice,I remember it being a life saver, almost more important than the pain killers. I have been making ice cubes all week, one of the drawers in my freezer is just for ice now, to keep feeding the ice bags and the cryo cuff, and I have explained to my husband that he must keep the production line going - I dont want to run out! :yikes:.
 
:)@SuperSnapper

The ice packs are not only for the heat and outward swelling, but the swelling that is occurring inside of your knee. Remember the sledgehammer and saw analogy? Well, think of the trauma your knee has been through and remember that it needs TLC whether you have a high pain tolerance or not.:)
 
@RestAssured Don't worry, :ice:I am still icing and elevating for hours on end but not burning through the gel packs so quickly so they last much longer. I'm using my cryo cuff all night, every night too but don't have to refill that as often as previously. I just found it strange how the knee was much cooler on average than two days ago when I felt I could have fried eggs on it! But I'm happy to admit it could be just the external layers responding while the inner ones still need ice, ice, ice.

I am looking after my knee, really. Today I did my exercises twice - I find leg slides in bed so difficult but easier on a hard floor, straight leg lifts , quad tightening, ankle pumps, climbed up and down stairs twice and walked around for about 5 minutes also trips for the toilet and shower. I can also stand on tiptoes really easily which surprises me. Next week, I am going to increase the walking a little and may be include a few of the other exercises the physio told me to but NOT the lunges and squats which he expected me to do 10 of 3x per day from day 2! Ouch!

Sighs heavily, I do find being Patient very, very alien as I'm a busy person usually.

However, I will be good and I do really appreciate your generous help and support and sharing of experience.:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile: Sending you warm thoughts from chilly Yorkshire.
 
Oooer a yorkie I was born Middlesborough used to.frequent N.Yorkshire Mooors.awoooooooo hound of the.ogreville

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Back
Top Bottom