PKR It's a knees up - SuperSnappers recovery

:kittychris::box::tree2; HO HO HO! @Ellejay
We will probably have a walk but not too long - just to get the grandchildren out of the house and burn off a bit of energy! I've been trying for 10,000 steps a day since I found my old fitbit and put a new battery in it! But it's mince pies and baking today.

Last Christmas is all a bit of a blur really - but I remember sitting down a lot. I had just come off the Tramadol and was able to have a glass of wine with dinner though. We've come a very long way since then. I do appreciate all the support you gave me.

I was having a problem with my knee for a few weeks with a really sharp pain behind my knee when I walked too far but I iced etc and I was pretty sure it was soft tissue pain and it's all ok again and I am back to doing what I like.

It's funny isn't it when you read other threads and people do have an expectation that their knee will not hurt after a few weeks - I think surgeons don't stress enough how long this all takes. My one was good and said 12- 18 months for complete recovery so I tend to ignore the odd pains. But on the whole it has been wonderful. It feels like it's my knee and I love it! We are off winter walking in Austria in the New Year but there's no snow there at the moment. Still it should test the knee :re-snowman::snows:

I hope you have a wonderful family Christmas this year and wish you all good things in 2016.

Mary x:merry christmas:
 
:swim:This week , well in the last six days , I have walked 100,000 steps in snow on our holiday in the Austrian Tyrol. I've also swum over a kilometre in 3 sessions and my knee has behaved impeccably throughout. Home tomorrow - now I just have to keep up the exercise ! :hiking: A year ago I was in the early days of recovery and wouldn't have believed this to be possible.
 
@Clipless I was using just my boots which are designed for heavy walking and walking poles. Worked fine but they are good here about preparing winter walking routes. The snow has been late to arrive here this year so not deep enough yet for snowshoes. Hope your recovery is going well this time too?
@skigirl thanks. It's just lovely to be out in the mountains again and being able to depend on my knee. I did follow the recommendations on this site which I feel really helped me to heal properly. And I had a lot of support from everyone on here too for which I am very grateful.
 
Went back to the gym today. I haven't been for ages , months in fact but I have done loads of walking instead. However I did notice that my quads and hamstrings needed work and I will have to have my other knee done in the future so I took the plunge and went back. It was OK. My knee was fine and now I am just about to go out for a walk.
 
Well done Mary, this all sounds wonderful. Don't worry about having the other knee done, as you know, I had mine done a year apart and I'm so pleased I did. I was out of the picture for basically two years, but now a full and energetic life lies ahead. I did a health walk today which really got my heart going, it was tough but I stayed up with the leaders for the whole walk. I am doing these walks three times a week as well as still going to the gym 3 times a week, I do feel the need to keep my muscles working properly.
Keep up the good work.
 
@Ellejay Thanks for the encouragement. You are such a gem.

I am hoping my other knee will last a while yet. My surgeon said maybe another year or two,

It's strange as I had micro-fracture on it in 2000 and it was only supposed to last 5-7 years and it was the worst knee but it's still going over 15 years later! The surgeon did a terrific job with the micro-fracture and aftercare. I know there are cysts in the bone and the cartilage is very thin if not gone altogether in parts but it rarely hurts except it locks very occasionally. I know lots of people don't like the procedure as you really have to have many weeks (12 for me) on crutches with no weight bearing at all but it has worked so well for me and I am really glad I had it done.

I am so pleased that you are doing so very well with all your exercise and gym work. What did the health walk entail? It sounds interesting but I haven't heard of them before. Wow! you are really keeping up with your activity. Well done you! We had such a lovely holiday and walked for miles. What a delight to be able to do it all! We are so lucky.

Take care of yourself x
 
Hi all, just a plus three year update. My partial medial has been great. Today I walked 8 miles in snow and ice in Switzerland and then went for a long swim. My knee behaved beautifully as it always does these days and my other knee on which I had a microfracture in 2000 is still going strong. It will need doing one day and complains now and again but while I can walk pain free on it most of the time, it’s staying!
To anyone who is thinking about a partial, I’d say take your surgeons advice, be prepared for a total during surgery , make sure he’s done lots of partials before and follow the mantras on here in recovery - they work.
 
What an encouraging post you made! It's wonderful to hear how well you are doing! Thank you for coming back and letting everyone know just how good a pkr can be!
 
Thanks for the update!
 
Back
Top Bottom