PKR It's a knees up - SuperSnappers recovery

@SuperSnapper you appear to be doing really well, just don't get over confident, or expect too much of yourself, take it from one who has done that, it delays progress rather than helps it.
Well done on getting the Tramadol, one week is a start, but you will probably need more than that so be aware a and try to get more before you run out, my GP has given me three months worth, to be claimed at monthly intervals.
Take care and keep up the good rest (not work). xxx
 
@SuperSnapper. Glad to hear you got more pain meds. my husband has the same after shower ritual - but makes no apology for it! I'll have to speak to him! :heehee:

I would like to go downstairs for a while but the stairs scare me! I have to negotiate 2 to get to the bathroom and that's bad enough - I think yesterday's fall has knocked my confidence.

I don't seem to have any bruising anywhere as yet, but I'm sure there's time.

Deb x
 
Bored.:banghead: Well, I was yesterday but tried not to sleep too much in the day, although nearly all day was spent elevating and icing. My knee was really hot yesterday and we took off the dressing as the nurses advised to replace it with the fresh ones they gave us. The wound looked good apart from one very small area that's a bit pink and had seeped a little.:bignono: So put on another sterile dressing and iced all night with the cryo cuff. The knee is ok today and much less swollen and hot so I'll keep my eye on the pinky / red bit for any more signs of infection but I think it's ok. I feel fine, no temperature. Fingers crossed. With the cryo cuff I managed 6 hours in two hour breaks with a quick change of cooling icy water and back to sleep. I think I'm lucky in this. I can normally sleep for England though so nothing unusual for me.
Hope everyone else is OK and knee life is uneventful everywhere. :ice::ice::ice:
 
Good morning @SuperSnapper, I hope you managed to get a decent amount of sleep last night. I slept really well, the previous night my (nearly 3 yr old) grandson had me up every two hours, but he went home to my son and DiL yesterday. If I wake in the night my brain goes into SuperDrive, thinking of all the things I need to do before my op next Saturday, I'm beginning to tick things off the list, but it's a long list. As it's the second time round I should be well prepared.
Boredom unfortunately comes with the recovery, especially as you were used to being so busy. I found myself unable to make the simplest decisions after a while, having run a very busy infant school!
I started teaching older primary children, but ended up in KS1, which I really enjoyed. I know what you mean about all the other stuff that takes the fun out of the job. I moved to an independent school for the last 12 years, in the hopes that with less government interference it would be more like the old days, and it was for a while, but then even that school was forced into 'the system'. I stopped full time work in 2010, did two days a week, then one and finally retired last year. Amazingly I was asked to do some supply teaching at my old school just last week, I was very nervous but once there I loved every minute. The trouble was my left knee didn't, three days was as much as I could do. The small chairs didn't help. I said I would do more supply in the spring if they needed me, hopefully with two good knees at long last.
Have a good day, rest as much as you can, xxx Lyn
 
hey @SuperSnapper
Hope you're doing OK! Yeah, this can be a pretty boring time-- I'm at the point where the brain wants me to DO something, but the knee is saying "do I have to?" . usually the knee wins, because it can take revenge!:loll:

So check out some old movies, TV shows, whatever, and try to enjoy the "nothingness"-- hectic life will indeed return soon!
 
@Ellejay,@LondonLady :flwrysmile:things seem to be going OK for day 5 post op. I slept pretty well and my knee is so much cooler and less swollen. Thankfully the seepage from the wound seems to be the glue the surgeon used! How daft am I! Anyway, I can now manage upstairs with one cane but my hamstring on my good leg is tight from the additional strain. But all the pain is controllable with paracetamol and two 50mg Tramadol per day so far. I have a couple more Tramadol for breakthrough pain available but haven't had to use them. :wowspring:Wow! I love my cryo cuff so much. I'm really glad I bought it.it really does help with pain, heat and swelling so much. All the work I was able to do at the gym before my op seems to be benefitting me in this process. I know there will be long hard days ahead but so far so good.
Hope everyone else is getting on well. Time for a wander around upstairs which is very small so I have to do it twice!
 
So good to hear you are having good pain control and are able to get some sleep.
 
@SuperSnapper - Hi, you sound like your recovery is going well!:yahoo:

I slept much better last night too. Disturbed and refilling my cryo cuff but not kept awake too long.
Today I want to go out it's so nice. It's very frustrating as I feel really well apart from the obvious! It's going to be a long 3-4 weeks to Christmas.

I'm managing pain quite well with the codeine, paracetamol & ibuprofen. The oromorph is for breakthrough pain, which I didn't need during last night.

I'm starting to feel really excited about life after this knee has recovered. We have just been chatting about the things I will be able to do soon. I usually hid how much pain I was in as I felt guilty for putting this operation off for so long. Earlier this year we went to Florida and spent 4 days walking around Disney World. I think that was the final straw for my knee.

............................................well, 2 hours later --- I visited the bathroom as was in so much pain on my return I had to have the oromorph! One minute I'm raring to go - the next I feel floored!

Deb x
 
@Wilma Deb, it sounds as if you are doing really well too. I know what you mean about going out ,it was lovely here this morning. I've not been downstairs yet today but plan to go down for dinner tonight for a couple of hours mainly to save Mr Ps knees! You are obviously ,like me, glad you got the cryo cuff. I'm icing such a lot but it really helps with the pain.
My sister-in-law came today and was surprised at my progress which gave me a boost. The Knee looks better too , much less swollen after a night with my cryo cuff friend. I think it needs a name ..... mmmm........will think about that. Mr P managed to get out for a much needed walk today too and tomorrow is going to his Italian class in the afternoon.
Just keep on thinking about LAKR - Life After Knee Replacement which will be good.i might order some holiday brochures on line now you said that. :yahoo::yahoo:
Sending you positive thoughts

Mary x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Managed to get downstairs for dinner so Mr P wouldn't have to carry up and downstairs and I sat at the table for ten minutes but it did hurt , so moved onto sitting in a chair and icing but now back in bed after my Tramadol. So today all I've done is walk around every couple of hours and some simple ankle stretches , leg slides and leg raises getting into and out of bed, and :ice:iced and elevated nearly all day, oh and I had a shower , dried my hair and changed clothes. Oh and I went up and downstairs once. Hope I am doing enough. My knee is quite sore :no-fin:tonight but the meds will kick in soon. I haven't slept since 6.30 this morning so hoping to get some zzzzzs in tonight. Hope everyone in Bonesmartia is doing well and had a great weekend.:sleep::sleep:
 
@LondonLady thanks I did get quite a few zzzzs with short breaks inbetween to refill the cryo cuff. This morning I've had a walk around upstairs, done a few stretches etc and showered and put clean things on all on my own! So a step towards some independence.
:yahoo:
I also discovered that I can stand up from the bed without levering myself up but just using legs only. I did it without thinking so did it 4 times more to make sure I'd actually not imagined it ! :happydance:

The pain was a bit worse last night so taking it easy again with lots of icing.:ice::ice:

The worst things arethe odd excruciating twinges I get at the surgery site like a load of elves in there with hot needles sewing everything back. :tantrum2:But the op site is clean and looks fine. I guess it's just things knitting together.

Now tucked up back in bed, preparing to ice some more. Ah!
 
Hiya snaperooooo aye be the nerves knitting together me cant knit to save my life tried to do a jumper ended up with a wig

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@SuperSnapper, I had those elves visit me as well, that's exactly as I described the sharp pains. Eventually they turn into small electric shocks as the nerves start to knit together again.
You are doing so well, enjoy your rest today xxx Lyn
 
@Ellejay , @Legin well, those elves need a name! Mine are called Knit and Purl. Thanks, nice to know it's not just my knee. I think they also have a heatlamp going in there too!

Back in bed after a little trip downstairs for lunch and a few heel slides on the tiled floor. My bend is now definitely 90. But life seems less intimidating from my bedroom at the moment, can't get comfy downstairs at all. It's not set up for a knee.

Ready for a couple of hours complete rest now and yet more ice.

Mr P is off to his Italian group so my son is going to check on me this afternoon. How roles are reversed!
 
Hope I am doing enough.
Remember---it is not about "doing enough"---it is all about doing "just enough."
I had those elves visit me as well, that's exactly as I described the sharp pains. Eventually they turn into small electric shocks as the nerves start to knit together again.
Yep---those "zingers" really can get you jumpy when they happen---all part of the normal recovery!
 
@referee54 thanks for the encouragement.
@Legin you may borrow my elves. They are expensive to keep and not particular about their personal habits either!
 
Back
Top Bottom