Guest viewing is limited

PKR It's a knees up - SuperSnappers recovery

@yiayia3 thanks I feel like things are going OK but I'm only one week into this tomorrow so my patience may be sorely tried. My sister -in-law came to see me today and was a bit surprised to find me "still in bed" . Honestly I don't feel I could do much more than I'm doing. The few exercises that I do make my knee swell even though I never go to the point of pain. It's a long road but your encouragement is really welcome .:yahoo:
 
@SuperSnapper - I had to smile at the 'still in bed' comment :snork:. My sister visited today - I was in bed after having a shower and doing my hair. She reminded me that I was supposed to be exercising my knee!!!!!! I was a little sharp with my reply. It's bad enough this recovery lark without being made to feel lazy!

Today has been better than yesterday - so far. I am about to tackle the stairs for the second time today so I can eat dinner with my husband. I don't like to eat in bed if I can avoid it and I think I might sleep better if I stay up a while. It's certainly not as comfortable downstairs despite having a comfy recliner. I am also sick to death of TV, especially evening TV. Between X Factor and Jungle stuff there isn't much else on to distract from the niggly knee pain. I am sounding like the proverbial 'Grumpy Old Woman'! :rotfl:

I am in love with my Cryo cuff - I can think of a very good name for mine but it's a little 'rude' :heehee:

Like you I am bored. I do have stuff I could do but I'm not interested because I'm bored (now I sound like a 'Kevin' haha)

Have a good evening Mary

Deb x
 
@Wilma :rofsign::rotfl::scare: your post made me laugh cos I feel exactly the same. I think soon I will be so bored, I will HAVE to find something to do! Mr P is out all day tomorrow walking with Ramblers, and my daughter will pop in and out but I'll be on my own for a while. Feeling a bit apprehensive.
Hope you have a much better evening tonight with lots less pain.
Mary x
 
You will be fine snapperooo. I know it feels a long haul but you are really doing amazingly well. Dont listen to silly people who dont know what it entails. Believe me many will be looking at you and the brilliant way you have approached this. If you get really fed up kick the ogre. Oooooops
 
Ah, these well-meaning people who haven't had a knee replacement, but who tell us how to manage it! Try not to listen to them.

As you recover, you'll possibly hear stories similar to a friend's friend's great-aunt Martha, who walked out of the hospital on day 2, hiked ten miles by the end of the week and was spinning cartwheels within a month. There are lots of stories like that, but they're all urban myths.

I have a friend who could have been the subject of one of these myths. He had a TKR and went back to work the following week. That's the short version.
The long version is that, yes, he did go back to work the following week, but only for two hours a day. He had a desk job, he was in a wheelchair, his wife drove him to and from work, and he was completely wiped out for the rest of the day, spending all his time in bed, apart from bathroom visits.
 
@SuperSnapper - I can understand your apprehension. I guess you will have to plan well so everything is at your fingertips.

I was left 'Home Alone' for 3 hours this afternoon without warning! Mr R was popping out for an hour - I should have known! If I had a problem I could have phoned friends or family who live very nearby so I was okay. I was a little worried about my bathroom trek though as the stairs can make me a little wobbly yet. I have lived to tell the tale though so no harm done :snork:. He's out again now -- on an 'ice run' so I can't complain!

Wishing you a good night with lots of sleep

Deb x
 
@SuperSnapper,

I have an idea for you and your boredom!:idea:

Just imagine this, your SIL comes in and asks why you are still in bed?

Whip out a big sledgehammer and large saw, and ask her if she would like to feel the pain of a knee replacement at no cost?!!!!!:rotfl:
 
I've been thinking about you @SuperSnapper and glad to hear that things are falling into place after a rough start. I thought I would be on my iPad more while I was in here but they keep you busy and when your not, you fall asleep or have visitors (which are a great distraction). However, you don't have much control of your life and I'm sharing with three other women, two amputees and one BTHR. So, there is a lot of chatter going on most of the time. I'm very glad I'm here and to be able to focus but also looking forward to going home where there is some silence and I can read!

Be kind to yourself! They don't encourage me to elevate here nor do they allow me to ice more than 20 minutes - what gives???
 
Is the "cryo cuff" the same thing as an ice machine? You fill the reservoir with frozen water bottles and water and it circulates the cold water thru a thingy that you wrap around your knee? I used mine for almost 2 weeks 24/7. I took it off and started using gel packs only because I thought it was inhibiting me from moving. I basically only got up to use the loo. And I wanted to start sleeping on my side. Although I think I slept much better on my back with the machine.

You seem to be doing well. Pain under control? Doing any heel slides, etc.? Getting bored yet? I played Sudoku a lot on my Kindle. Read too. And slept at one week. I had big plans to study Spanish and do my Rosetta Stone, but nope. Take care. -- Joni
 
@Threads I'm so glad to hear from you. I've thought about you often, wondering how things are going on. Sounds as if you are in a good place but I can understand that maybe some private space will be a relief when you get home. Do you know when that will be ? I spent 12 weeks in hospital once with my first pregnancy and there was a great camaraderie and support network among all the women but not much quiet. How's the PT going along with you. I hope you are feeling more comfy and pain is well controlled. I'm constantly surprised by different protocols - rest, ice, compression and elevation have been must do's for years for injuries. Another thing you can do as and when you want when you get home.
I'm doing pretty well, thanks, and I'm a week into recovery today. Progress is slow but I just think "Well that's how it's going to be" so Patience is the key. I've not read much, watched a bit of TV and had a few visitors and I can't sleep in the day at all. Today will be a Challenge as Mr P is off walking all day and for large amounts of time I'll be flying solo with my daughter coming in a couple of time. I think I'll find some trashy Christmas films to watch.
Hope you continue to improve steadily and have a restful day.
Sending warm thoughts by the Polar route
Mary x
 
@Djbrund the cryo cuff is very similar to the one you described but it's gravity fed so you lower it to empty the cuff, shake the container a bit and then raise to fill the cuff again. It's fine once you are used to it and the water stays icy cold all night. I think it enables me to sleep better. But I prefer the big gel packs in the day as they get so much colder and the pain relief seems better.
I think I'm doing fine for a week into recovery. I'm sick of being in bed but not comfy elsewhere. Exercising a bit heel slides etc and trying to improve my bed which is slow progress but I'll get there. The swellings gone down loads but my knee does feel stiffer than I thought it would at this stage. I'm going to step up the exercise a little this week, not too much but I think I can do a bit more as I have some leeway with my meds to take a bit more if needed.
I was glad to read on your thread that your walking is picking up. It must be so great to be able to do that! You are doing well. I actually dreamed about walking normally last night! How nuts is that? Anyway, stay well but don't overdo it. Have a good day.
 
Hmmmmmm snaperooooo just be careful with stepping up exercises but you are doing well if bed is comfy use it, you will know when to move on. I know its frustrating and I used to call myself a wuss and stupid. I wasnt well I am but just I wasnt listening to my body

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Good morning @SuperSnapper, I hope your 'Home Alone'' day goes well, just take the opportunity to be completely selfish and sleep/ watch TV whenever you want. You have reminded me of the boredom, for my 1st TKR I was so looking forward to finishing a patchwork quilt I had started years ago (no, it's still not finished), or maybe improve my knitting skills (no, it didn't happen). TV is awful, @Wilma, try iPlayer, I've found quite a bit on there that looks good, I've saved it to my iPad but whether it will still seem to be good once I've had the TKR remains to be seen.
 
Oh btw snaperooo have put big book down trews in case you need to kick the ogre

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin your comment make me laugh!

Promise I won't overdo it. I am taking this slowly. Because I was well enough I did a lot of work before surgery on muscle strengthening and I can do things like leg lifts really easily now but I only do a few of things and stop and ice. It's all got to be very gradual because I know it's working for me and I don't want to spoil it at this stage.

Besides Mr P will be under occupied if I get well too soon.:no-fin: He'd have to be allowed out! Good grief! ( he's out today Rambling before we drive each other nuts!)

But thanks for thinking of me.
 
@Ellejay TV is generally dire , isn't it ? But I'm using iplayer and being picky and I can also work the Sky box from my iPad too so a vast range of stuff to choose from. Mostly rubbish but the odd gem lurks there.

I think I feel bored because I actually feel well enough to be up and doing but my knee says no. I only sleep at night now and get about 6-7 hours so that and the lack of activity means I don't need any more. But I'm not motivated yet to read or knit or whatever.

I haven't experienced the energy drain I've heard about, apart from the first days in hospital. But maybe that comes later when I start moving about more.

Mr P has left so am "Home Alone" . But it's fine.

Hope you have a good day too.
 
Oh well you are looking after Mr P cant have him getting lethargic can we. You are doing well tho and btw I didnt say I would stand still, thee might be snaperoo im hopperoooo

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@SuperSnapper,

You know, I thought I was bored, and so I would "conquer the world!" Got out of bed, did walking, said to self "gosh, that wasn't bad", proceeded to housework, then shopping, then, then, then! By the time I realized what I had done, it was too late! Back in bed for a couple of days!

So, take it slow. You are only a week out, and you need to save your strength for the sledgehammer and saw!:rotfl:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom