PKR It's a knees up - SuperSnappers recovery

@RestAssured we eat loads of vegetables! And grow a lot of our own in the summer. Nothing much beats veg from your own garden. My husbands family came from Italy and we try to eat quite a lot of Italian food too, lots of olive oil, Parmesan and veg. Delicious! I am also a big fan of lettuce in all its forms. My daughter thinks I'm a bit odd. :happydance::happydance:Fills you up with no calories!
 
@RestAssured ,@kneeper just wanted to check if I'm about right on what I'm doing re exercise?

Each morning I have a little walk around for 5 mins to loosen up, then I do 10 quads stretches, 5 straight leg lifts, 5 heel slides, 5 sits on side of bed and stretching knee back to get more ROM, 5 x getting up from bed not holding on to anything. I do the hanging leg one sometime in the day for a couple of minutes too. I repeat these again at lunchtime and might do them, in the evening but often not as my knee is stiffer. I walk around about every couple of hours, climb up and downstairs twice a day, shower etc. the rest of the time I'm icing and elevating.

Is this enough for 11 days post op or is there anything else you feel I could add in, take out? All suggestions gratefully received. By the way I never get past discomfort when exercising.
 
If no.discomfort yaaaaay. You.will also know by.fatigue as per usual the award for progress goes to.snaperoooooooooooooo

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@SuperSnapper,

At day 11, why are you worried about ROM? Stairs up and down twice a day?

Do you remember my saying "stiffness IS swelling?"

Doing your exercises 3 times a day?:what:

Let me tag @Josephine for you and maybe she can give you better advice than I can.:console2:
 
@SuperSnapper - wow you are doing well! I feel a little static with progress. I don't think I can even get 90 deg bend anymore. My knee yells when I try - so I stop. I am having most of the pain on the inside of my knee. I'm spending most of the day and night icing and elevating. I am so frustrated with this now.
Deb x
 
@Wilma it's only been the last day or so that I've done a bit more. Remember you had twice the surgery I had so I think that may make a big difference. I didn't do it when it hurt except heel slide, quad stretches and moving my feet. Funnily enough most of my discomfort is on the inside too. I can't get mine much beyond 90 but am not worried as it will come. Also I do very little in the way of exercise from lunchtime onwards as things stiffen up a bit.
I do sympathise. It is frustrating and slow but all the ice and elevating will pay off. I'm still doing it nearly all day too. The gel packs are so cold that I have to wrap the rest of me in blankets! Before they were thawing really quickly but they take longer now.
I am so bored with the TV:tantrum2: Mr P has the rugby on! He doesn't even like Rugby Union. He's a Rugby League fan!
I've watched so many episodes of Homes Under The Hammer this week that I really am beginning to hate the gurning pair who present it and I just know that I could easily run my own property empire by now plus I am an antiques expert having watched Flog It ad nauseam too! Have started reading a bit but the concentration isn't quite back yet.
Keep cheerful . I'm sure you are doing the right things. After all everyone on here can't be wrong.
Big hug from across the Pennines

Mary x
 
@SuperSnapper - Thanks Mary - I needed the encouragement but 'cheerful' maybe a stretch! :snork: I recon I could run a mini empire of properties too - maybe we should set up a company??? haha.

My hubby is working and I'm watching endless Christmas films on C5. Just about to make a shopping delivery order via Tesco so that should keep me occupied for a while.

D x
 
I'd say you're doing plenty and maybe a bit too much. Are you doing stairs because you have to or for exercise? I'd limit stairs at this point.
 
@kneeper thanks for the reply. I'm doing the stairs because I feel I need to spend more time downstairs now and find the stairs easier than a few days ago. I'm still resting downstairs just that I've move from bed to sofa. I was feeling a bit like a Victorian mad woman staying upstairs! So a change of scene has been good for my mood, I suppose. If anything I am more comfortable to elevate my leg on the sofa now. And Mr P doesn't have to trail up and down so often either.:good-bad: It's a huge balancing act , this recuperation!

I was feeling I wasn't doing enough exercise but I think on reflection I am as I do get a bit stiffer in the evenings. The good news is I can actually feel my knee cap again after all the icing! :thankyou:

@RestAssured thanks for the reply. You are all really helpful . It just helps to get another's perspective on how things are going. I really don't feel I'm overdoing it as I do feel a bit better each day now but I do think I need to keep on being careful. Your warnings are always timely:tada::thankyou:
 
I've watched so many episodes of Homes Under The Hammer this week that I really am beginning to hate the gurning pair who present it and I just know that I could easily run my own property empire by now plus I am an antiques expert having watched Flog It ad nauseam too!

Those were the programmes that were on in the middle of the night here in New Zealand (UK TV, on Sky here)! In the first few weeks after this TKR, I used to be awake for a couple of hours then and I would make myself a cup of tea and watch TV until I felt sleepy again. I enjoyed them at first and later they were sufficiently boring to induce sleep.
 
@SuperSnapper you seem to be doing really well, but I can't stress enough "DONT OVERDO IT". We all try to speed the recovery up, but often end up slowing it down. I remember being so frustrated, bored, useless but luckily my husband, who isn't normally bossy,insisted I rest and it did pay off. My recovery was just about text book, yes it took a while, but hopefully this knee will last you a very long time, let it settle down gradually, try not to make it stiff, it will be worth it in the long run. (There is a good jigsaw App for iPads - Magic Puzzles, that will kill a little time. Lyn xxx
 
@Ellejay, I promise I won't overdo it. But I do feel pretty well. Well, apart from the stiffness in the evenings and the broken nights! I can't believe how much the pre op gym work has helped so far. I went three times a week for 4 months on the surgeons suggestion and I think it is really helping .:biking:i am not naturally sporty although for the last 14 years since I developped knee problems I've been a gym member - apart from last year when I took up more walking and when coincidentally the knee gave up on me! Hmmm. However I've read too many threads on here about overdoing things and I am naturally cautious.

You should be concentrating on you :console2:. Hope the pain is well controlled and you manage to stay comfy. It's ll so much easier to ice and elevate when you are at home.

Sweet dreams , I hope.
Mary x
 
Plenty good advice on here for you snaperooo nice one on recovery. Btw i played rugby union back row and wing even played against somw England players. Many owches those matches
 
Having an easy day today . Went down for breakfast - bacon sarnies yum! Mr P has just changed the bed bliss ! :sleep::sleep::sleep:so settling down for a cuppa and a Sunday snooze. Looks lovely out , bright and sunny but very chilly with frost overnight. Brrr.
 
@Legin if you are an RU man guessing you might not like RL which is played a lot here in the North. We support Leeds Rhinos, go to a few games although Mr P would like to go to more and follow their progress. Guess it's what you are brought up with. I've been watching since I was a small girl.
 
I only played 2 matches league against a wimens.team. 3 off our team got carried off in first 20 mins. Second.match.same team.I played for wimens.team in.a tutu oooooioooooo

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I just preferred union tho loved 7s. My proper team.was a v high standard but had many Leginism like ran.into post.knocked out.

Legin THR Sep 14
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom