PKR It's a knees up - SuperSnappers recovery

Good for you @SuperSnapper Look forward to your weekly posts and best wishes for the continued successful recovery of my fellow November Nimble. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas! :santaclap:
 
Hope festivities were grand snaperoooo

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Week 5 report

Hi all, hope everyone had a lovely Christmas. :santaclap:
Much the same here in a very chilly Yorkshire. My bend continues to improve , sleep is good and things were going very well but then I developed a new pain just at the top of my shin right where the implant is. It's when I walk, not terrible but It is sore to touch a bit and a bit swollen. It may be that I did a bit much over Christmas :groan:. I did try a very slight squat, it hurt and I didn't do it again. :holysheep:!!!! So have rested, iced , elevated etc , etc, etc but ... It's not hot or red or anything nasty. Could it just be one of those coming and going pains I keep hearing about on here? Hmmm....

Apart from that , everything is fine.

I hope everyone else is OK?
@Ellejay hope your Christmas was fun and not too tiring?
@Legin How's the foot? Hope your cooking adventures didn't set you back.
@sandbar525 I've hope your recovery is proceeding without any nasty surprises. @Threads I actually took a few photos at Christmas , just inside the house. We bought my son a Lensbaby and he's had fun with that . Hope you are continuing to improve and had a lovely Christmas
 
How could I.be.set.back with a name like Legin. Cooking fine.loved it and bistmas. Hv upped my.walking to about 3 miles a day but.hv been.persuaded to lower it a tad. Foot same but hey its not going to beat me.
As for theeeeee snaperoooooo I'm sure its a.case.of.doing tooo much but its inbuilt isn't it the.just get on.syndrome. Take care pal.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @SuperSnapper, good to read your update. I'm sorry about the new pain, I can't comment on it, but if it continues you can always ask Josephine about it.
Do you have snow up in Gods Own County? It is quite icy down here, so I'm a bit nervous (&tbh, lazy) about walking, but I know I must start to walk more. Well done @Legin - 3 miles is very impressive.
Have a good day everyone, I need to get ready for the arrival of a hurricane, AKA my 3 yr old grandson. Catch up soon xxxx
 
@Ellejay we did have snow but now just an icy covering. Quite slippy too so best staying in.
You will have enough activity today with your grandson - tiring but my they are a boost! My one told me that one day I "would, could climb the stairs properly like grown ups do" have fun.
 
I can't believe how much you did over Christmas!
Yes, I had pain and swelling (more like a knot!) at the top of my shin/lower inch of my incision plus extreme skin sensitivity for weeks. I also had a "poker"; a stiff internal suture sticking out... arrgh, I wince at the memory! PT started gentle massage as soon as my incision healed. Also, somewhere on Bonesmart I saw a suggested "desensitization" procedure wherein one gently drags various soft materials across the knee- a piece of silk, flannel, a flower, paper, blow on it, etc. I can't say whether desensitization helped any more than the simple march of time would have, but I did it when I was bored. Massage was a winner.

Stay warm & safe where you are. The temps here are expected to drop to almost freezing tonight. GASP! I'll have to drag out my winter parka. Not kidding- I'm a California girl.
 
@Clipless I could do with some California sunshine. The only kind we get here in winter is bright but it never warms things much. Looks pretty on the snow though.
Thanks for the desensitisation idea. The knee feels slightly better today but I've iced, elevated and sat about a lot. I did make soup, wash up, do the work tops, sweep the floor , empty the dishwasher but that's all. I might ask the physio about the massage when I go on the 9th January. I see the OS on the 20th so am hoping to go back to the gym after that. That will be 8 weeks out from surgery.
Hope it's not too cold for you tonight. Our weather is going to warm up later this week so I'm hoping to get out a bit more.
Mary x
 
@SuperSnapper - good to read your update. A squat hummmmm - funny, I was wondering if I should try one when I was "finally" doing some exercises this morning. Apparently it's something that can wait! It's such a tempting way to see if you can increase ROM :nah:

I haven't been out with my camera yet - we need to get bags and I'm waiting for my new camera strap which will distinguish my camera from Doug's if they are both lying around. I ordered mine from Etsy, just checked the mailbox and it's here! I'm still using two canes when I'm out and about so it will be hard to use the camera at the same time. I do have a 4 wheeled walker borrowed from the Red Cross, so I might give that a go. I looked up Lensbaby - never heard of them before. Looks like your son will have some fun with his gift!

@Clipless - we've got the sunny, dry cold spell here. I'm always amazed at how the little hummingbirds that visit our feeder survive this cold. I shouldn't complain - at least the sun is shining!
 
Happy New Year and healthy knees and hips to all Bonesmartie friends!

My knee feels better today! yay! Good old, ice, elevation and rest! New Years Eve will be pretty quiet. Two small grandsons are staying over while their parents go out so we'll be up early tomorrow no doubt! I hope they sleep alright. I may even have a glass of wine as no paracetamols for over 48 hours by midnight! Just the one though. I'm sure abstinence has helped me keep the weight off!

@Threads I wouldn't do the squats! Too much on the knee at the moment and less stressful ways to get ROM. Glad things are going well for you. I read about a photo project just taking photos within a yard of your seat. The woman who did it was unable to walk. She took some lovely stuff. Or you could buy a lovely bunch of flowers and try those. I've done that before. Great for macro shots which I know you enjoy. I've also done macros of spices eg all spice or dried chillis, cloves etc. great fun. Enjoy.
 
@SuperSnapper - you'll be busy getting two little ones to settle for the night, and they will be excited!! Have fun :happydance: Savour your glass of wine as you bring in the New Year and have a sip for me (I'm still on a small dose of oxycodone, so no wine for me). Do you have plans for a fun breakfast in the morning? Ours loved the heart shaped waffles I made for them.

The idea of trying a squat flashed through my mind and I kicked it out pretty fast!

I've done some of the things you suggested. I used to buy bunches of dahlias at our local market garden every summer. I would choose interesting ones and spend time with my macro taking lots of photos. Then the flowers would sit and look pretty until they were passed their prime. At that point I would cut their pretty little heads off and pop them in the freezer. When I have the need to dye some yarn with a nice, fast yellow dye - out of the freezer comes my stash of dahlia flowers and they get cooked until I have a good stock of yellow dye. However, I talked to the owner of the market garden last year and they use the same dahlia tubers year after year so I'm not getting fresh varieties for my camera :-(

The sun is shining and I think we'll head down to the walk along the Fraser River. I haven't been down there for years and it's usually a source for photos of ducks, tug boats, and logs. The rain is back tomorrow, so we'd better take our chance today.

Happy New Year!
 
@Threads Thanks we had a lovely time with our two little ones. We always have a lot of fun with them and look forward to having them. They were very good and the only drawback was how early they get up! 6am! But they were very happy with the pain au chocolat we bought for breakfast and when mum and dad came for them at 11.30 they didn't want to go home! They helped me do my exercises by counting the seconds I held each stretch too.

Great idea with the dyes. You must get some lovely colours and what a wonderful way to preserve summer!

I hope you enjoyed your River walk. I walked for 20 mins today with one cane which is the longest walk without stops that I have done outside as the ground has been so icy. I could manage without the cane but it just gives me a bit of extra confidence.

It's been a quiet day today but restful. I hope you've had a good day too.

Polar route best wishes for you and Doug for the New Year!
 
Yaaaaaay for.walk.snapperooooooo. nae stopping you now lass

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @SuperSnapper - yesterday, I walked for quite a while (down by the river again) while Doug took photos, used two canes though because of the wooden trail - I understand the confidence issue. I wasn't thrilled with the photos I'd taken the day before, not quite steady enough on my knees yet so I had a bit of camera shake even with image stabilisation. Trying to follow ducks taking off from the river and moving in and out the shady river grass was difficult. We're back in a rainy spell today so hopefully I'll get my legs stronger and steadier while we have our "normal" winter.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun with the boys! Six o'clock is normal when their excited being at a sleepover ;-) they'll be nagging for the next one already. Enjoy it while it lasts. I just remembered one time when we had the twins with us while visiting Mom in her nursing home. We temporarily lost Sophia and then noticed that she was busy sitting near her great-grandma doing her chair exercises with her (and the rest of the folks there). A memory I treasure. Our young grandchildren are now so involved in ballet, soccer and music - not to mention birthday parties, etc., it's hard to find time with them other than during school breaks.

Today I saw my GP and talked about my meds - status quo for two weeks, which is good for me, because I plan to be back in the pool next week.

Big wave at you via the Polar Route!
 
@Threads good morning . Great news on the walking and your actually got out with your camera. So with new knees and a new camera you are good to go! Just think what fun you have in store! The new camera will take some getting used to so don't be dials appointed. Ducks in flight! You really were testing your new equipment. Panning is not my strong point but good fun to do.

Our grandaughter no 1 is ten and developing her interests but she likes coming here as she thinks our satellite TV channels are better! We have a great time with all of them.

Hope you enjoy your outing to the pool. Sounds like fun. I have my second PT appointment on Friday just to check on progress and am seeing the surgeon on the 20th for a review . It's a bit later than usual as Christmas put everything out but after that, I'll be able to get back to the gym and swimming too.

Waving right back at you!
 
Week 6
  • Woke up today with a cool knee - no heat!:wowspring:
  • Estimate bend about 115 at least and leg gets completely flat.
  • Walking about 20-25 mins per day with one stick. Could do it without but just a confidence booster
  • No pain, just aching at night.
  • Take odd paracetamol/ Tylenol but some days nothing
  • Sleeping well, on my front!
  • Still icing and elevating after walks etc. still spend all evening elevating, one hour up , one hour down seems to work. Leg does swell but getting less each week.
  • Picking up some light housework and meal preparation, gradually increasing what I do each day
Will be going back to gym at the start of February after seeing surgeon on 20th January.:upright:

All in all, I am pretty happy. I am a good advert for being stubborn, pig headed and doing it the way I thought was best after reading everything I could find. I more or less followed the mantra except for meds which I took very sparingly and cut out as soon as I could as I didn't want to mess up my kidneys any more than already messed. If it were not for this site, I would not have taken things so easily and rested and iced and elevated in the same way. It's been an enormous factor in my recovery. So many, many thanks to everyone for advice and continued support. :yay::yay::yay:
 
You're doing great. I like that you are taking it day by day and gradually, with lots of :ice:
 
Great report @SuperSnapper - you are doing sooo well. Sleeping on your stomach, wow! I'm still on my back, side sleeping still isn't happening. You are all set on a course that takes you out with your camera to capture the spring flowers! Way to go!

Hand waaaaaay up waving across the Polar Route!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom