TKR IT Band

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say soft tissue release, do you mean deep massage on the IT band? I don't know anyone who is good at that in the Seattle area. Any suggestions?

Do you think that the problem is calcification on the IT band?

I'm not sure. Perhaps @Josephine will tell you a bit more about what soft tissue release entails.

I went the last two weeks to my massage therapist and she was able to really work out the knots in my hamstrings, IT band and my glutes. They had all become so tight. I go to a massage therapist at my chiropractor's office.

When you say soft tissue release, do you mean deep massage on the IT band?
I was referring to this that you said your surgeon mentioned in an earlier post.
"Soft Tissue Release" is just another way of wording it.
He did say at the last visit that the next time I see him he would talk to me about doing surgery on the IT Band to adjust its length.

I had a lot of IT pain before surgery which vanished with the new knee. However, I'm now three months out and, as my exercise levels lift, I'm experiencing tightness in the band at the knee. No pain thank goodness. But the tightness is released dramatically with stretching my hips. The IT band runs from the hip and that is where you probably need to concentrate so that it is not pulled tightly over the joint at the knee.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I had and have IT band issues after both TKRs and this THR. I don't know if sitting so much has something to do with it but massage and arnica cream seem to help -- my personal trainer clued me to that. I suppose it could be chronic at this point but I have a tens machine so I could try that eventually too. (thanks for the tip, @KarriB !) Looking forward to getting on a stationary bike soon and then this Fall on my outdoor bike.

By the way, I got 1/2 inch of my height back after my TKRs. (After my THR, my left leg is now the same length as the right for the first time since my teens! Which I am sure if affecting that leg in different ways but so far, no major issues.)

When I am in bed, my IT Band problem hurts the worst especially when I roll over and need to lift my leg laterally. I get a snap of my IT Band and that really hurts.

This has been going on since surgery in September. I still think the Tibial plate is too big. I am getting a CT Scan when I get back from vacation.

For trying to get relief when in bed, is there a good knee brace I could buy that would relieve my IT Band so I didn't keep hurting it in bed?

I'm not so sure it's the femoral implant that is too small. The tibial implant looks to be a very good fit for your tibia.

I quoted Josephine's impression of your implant from the X-ray you provided.

You can try calling chiropractors in your area to find one that can help with your IT band. Some physical therapists can also do the massage. Seeking a revision OS for a second opinion wouldn't hurt at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think the Tibial plate is too big. I am getting a CT Scan when I get back from vacation.
A CT scan won't show you anything more or better than the xrays you posted for me. And if you recall, I said it was a perfect fit. No overhang whatsoever.
my IT Band problem hurts the worst
This is the source of your problem. Go see a chiropractor and get some decent massage. Another thing that might help would be a cortisone shot in the painful area.

I have been seeing a Chiropractor who specializes with IT Band issues and is perplexed why it's not getting any better with the deep tissue work she has been doing. My doctor wants the CT scan, who is the one who wants to cut me open at the IT Band to cut out the portions of it that he thinks is a calcification, called windowing. I don't think that is the solution and I think he will make it worse!!!

Well it might be. I've known it done and it had good results.

I would take Josephine's suggestions. She has had years of hand-on experience.

So it's been awhile since that last post from Josephine. I have continued to have deep tissue work on my IT Band but only very little improvement. It will be a year on 9/22 since my TKR surgery. I did just have the CT Scan but too soon to know the results. My IT Band and hamstring still hurt a lot in bed and in the car. What I would like to look into is redoing the TKR. Are there any doctors in the Seattle area anyone knows would take on my situation?

I really don't want the doctor who did this surgery to cut me open in the IT Band area and cut up my IT Band. I don't have faith in my doctor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

If you're going to look for a second opinion, look for a doctor who specializes in revisions. This type of doctor may be able to help you without a total TKR revision.

Because nothing else has helped relieve my problem with the pain. I'll see what the CT Scan will show. Maybe it's not redoing the TKR but just cleaning out the scar tissue that seems to be the problem.

IMG_1506.JPG
I'm attaching the CT report describing the amount of tibial overhang. Looks like the X-ray showed 9 mm on the lateral tibial and the CT shows slightly reduced of 7 mm. The X-ray of the medial tibial showed 7 mm but the CT Scan showed its reduced to 2 mm.

For the IT band, is it the lateral tibial or medial tibial that is the factor to my pain and swelling of my IT Band? Do you think these amounts of overhang is the problem for my IT Band? If it's the 7 or 9 mm that's seems to be a significant amount of overhang.

What do you think Josephine?

Thank you,
Gary

I'll tag @Josephine to see what she has to say about the "overhang". I'm afraid I can't help with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562