Guest viewing is limited

TKR IT Band

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine - the X-Rays are in Posts #18 and 20 (you've commented on them in Post #20) and the CT scan report is in Post #38.
 
So I did, @Celle. Thanks. I think what meant to say is that I need to see a lateral or side.
I certainly never saw any overhang any where
 
I am not skilled in the medical field; however, I did just see my OS for this a week ago and he mentioned my IT band slides over my femoral bone because he made sure it wasn't being irritated by an implant edge. He said my band was very constricted which was causing the pain. I started back at PT this week - I am doing stretches (for IT band at hip and knee) and she is really doing some deep, painful, massaging with her thumb on the area of my knee (lateral, lower) that is so sore. I too could barely lift my leg laterally, but it is already getting a bit better (laying on my right side, I couldn't hold my left leg up/back last week - I can do it now).

If your doctor writes up a new issue, for example, IT Band Syndrome, would your insurance provide additional PT sessions? It is very frustrating to still be experiencing such pain this far along on this journey. I do hope you can get some relief without any cutting/replacing, etc.
 
Thank you for sharing jaschembra. Unfortunately, I am on Medicare and have used up all of my allowed PT sessions. I have already used the additional amounts due to medical need. I too got relief from deep tissue work by my Chiropractor who is an expert in IT Band Syndromes but I only experienced relief for a short time. My condition is still the same as it was 6 months ago. I plan to see another doctor in about 3 weeks to what he thinks is the best way to fix my issue. I do not want to do anymore surgeries either but it seems like nothing else is working.
 
Hi @Josephine , Here are some views of X-rays and Ct scans but I cant tell what is side view for front view. Please let me know if these are the views you wanted to look at or what others would you like me to find. What do you think about the overhang? CT report said that the Lateral is 7 mm and Medial is 2 mm. Is that one zoomed view showing any calcification that the IT band would have a problem with. I looks like that to me.

[Bonesmart.org] IT Band


[Bonesmart.org] IT Band


[Bonesmart.org] IT Band


[Bonesmart.org] IT Band


[Bonesmart.org] IT Band


[Bonesmart.org] IT Band


[Bonesmart.org] IT Band
 
CT report said that the Lateral is 7 mm and Medial is 2 mm
I think it actually says Lat 25mm and med 72mm - this one is front to back view

[Bonesmart.org] IT Band


This one shows some minor overhang at the back but the tibia has an outcrop there anyway so I don't really see what difference that one makes - this one is side view
[Bonesmart.org] IT Band


I also don't see any involvement with the IT band - sorry.
 
@Josephine
Here is an update on my continued right knee problem. On Sep 22, 2016, I had total knee replacement. I never was able to completely heal from pain and swelling. After many months of visits with my doctor, I finally gave in to have an operation on releasing the IT Band by cutting a V shape out of the IT Band so it would not rub over a prominent bones structure in May, 2018.

Sadly, my situation is worse now after 10 weeks since the IT surgery. Swelling is worse but pain somewhat better where the IT band crossed the boney structure. However the total knee has more swelling, and especially at the IT Band. The area of the IT Band looks like a door knob stuck on the side of my knee. My last visit to my doctor after his further examination, revealed that he thinks my issue is a loose connection of a small bone that runs along side of the tibia and connects just below the IT Band. An MRI was ordered and completed last week. This Tuesday I will see him again to learn what he will recommend. At my last appointment he said he is fairly sure that he needs to tack that bone down as he thinks it is moving around as I do certain movements with my leg and that is causing my IT Band issue, pain in my Hamstring when I pull my heel back and down into the floor, and the pain going up and down stairs.

Does that sound reasonable? Does it make sense? I will ask him why I still get pain behind my kneecap going up and down stairs and how can that area at the tibia connection cause such a huge knob at my IT Band area, and why is my total knee swollen?

I wish I could find the right solution. I need help. I’ve gone through way too much on this knee. My family wants me to sue him but I don’t want to do that. I just want it fixed.

Any suggestions on what I should do?
Hmm, I cannot upload pictures for some reason.
Thank you,
TKRPAIN
 
  • Creative
Reactions: DLR
I think looking for a second opinion would be my next move if I was you. This doc has now done 2 surgeries without a result that helps. A new doctor, preferably one who does revisions because they are trained to see issues, will be able to look at your knee with fresh eyes.
 
TKRPain,
I had TKR in Oct of 2018. I have the exact IT band snapping issue you described. Severe piercing pain when I roll over on my side at night. I have not slept a full night since my surgery. I have been to PT for 8 weeks. They have worked on the IT band but with little help. Been back to my OS 2 times. The last time he said to come back in 6 weeks (at the 7 month mark) to get an injection. I feel this will just mask the issue. I can actually feel the IT band grind when I bend my knee. Sure seems to me like it is a geometry/profile issue. Seems as if the new hardware has a more pronounced profile causing the IT band to have to stretch more. I went to get a second opinion from a correction/revision specialist. He seemed to think the issue was that my joint was still too loose and that I needed to strengthen the muscles around the knee. I have read all of your posts, and I hate to say it, but I see myself heading down the same road that you have traveled. What is the latest with your issue?
 
KarriB
I am not sure how to get my message above to TKRPain. Could you please forward?
 
@ITBsnaps2
TKRpain has not been on the forum since August 2018, it is unlikely he will see your post about ITB pain.
You can tag someone by putting an @ before their user name, as I have done with your username in this post.
Suggest you start your own recovery thread, we have other members currently on the forum with the same or similar issues that will be able to provide you with support and answers to your concerns.
Starting a new thread and posting
 
@ITBsnaps2 this it's an old thread that is no longer active. To get feedback on your situation, please start a new thread of your own. There are active members of the forum who will be able to help you after you do that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom