High Tibial Osteotomy It’s Done! From Revision to Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy

Hello
Has anyone started getting sores after their surgery? I am suffering from sores that started around my incision and has spread in spots all over my body. This happened when I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago. Could it be a reaction to the oxycodone? I was prescribed this after both surgeries. They don't itch it just appears. In a few days it scabs. They are open sores. Fortunately it appears on my surgical leg, stomach and back. Not on the face and there are several of them. Going to make an appt with my OS and dermatologist. It first showed about two weeks after my surgery but new ones appear almost daily. I was afraid it may be MRSA. Still unsure if it isn't.
 
I would definitely give your OS or PCP a call first thing tomorrow. There could be a number of different causes for them and it needs to be seen by a doctor as soon as possible. I hope they disappear soon.
 
I agree. Show the sores to your doctor ASAP.
 
Went to see my GP. When he first walked in I admitted I looked for a diagnosis via internet. With a grin he asked what did I come up with.
He looked at felt my knee and looked a little concerned. My knee is not fully extended perhaps at 10 or a little lower and is still noticeably swollen. He asked what activities am I doing. Nothing. No PT but I do run a childcare center and leading a class of 14 5-10 year olds.. Enough PT!
When he saw the rashes (sores) on my surgical knee, stomach, sides, thigh and back he made an inaudible sound. He asked how long has this been going on...Several weeks. Asked if I am putting anything on it...No. And I stopped using lotion. He said he was unsure of what it is. Gave me a prescription for cream and a referral to a dermatologist. I made an appt for next Friday. GP told me I may have to get a biopsy. What is going on with me!
I also had what I call a senior moment. GP asked me for my OS' name. Now I have had this same OS for over a year and at that moment I couldn't think of his name!!! At the end of the appt it came to me. My memory is getting the best of me .
Tired of not able to walk without a noticeable limp, undiagnosed skin problem and bad memory. Need to take a break and regroup!
 
Hi @bibi, I'm sure you are tired of your symptoms. Anyone would be. You're WAY too young to be having senior moments- so let's cross that one from you list. I'm sure you were overcome with concern while with your GP and your OS's name was the furtherest thing from you mind at the time. Happens to my son at only 27yrs of age-!

Do you have an appointment with your OS? I would want to be seeing him also- asap. Are you still taking oxycodone? I think it's definitely worth investigating any allergies that could be at play here.

Hoping so much things improve for you and soon!
 
Hello yes! I have an appt with my OS in a couple of weeks. I made a dermatologist appt for this Friday. I am taking oxycodone 1 in the morning and 1 before bed. I take 4 200 mgs Advil in the afternoon.
Still experiencing swelling and a big problem with my extension. This along with the rashes is making life miserable but bearable. No PT just the everyday physical activities. I do the heel slides whenever I am sitting down.
 
What did you find out from the dermatologist @bibi?
 
Had to reschedule. Dermatologist had an emergency. I had to reschedule another appointment for next Thursday.
 
I am sorry . Can someone help me please!! Had my revision in April. I am experiencing pain and swelling. I elevate and ice constantly! I do normal every day activities and no pt. I cannot straighten my leg when I walk. I limp badly. I am guessing my extension is 8-10. I was fine with my extension until I had my MUA in October.
 
I was told by my OS I can have swelling after my revision for up to 18 months. That can be why you are still having swelling. I still need to elevate at the end of every day and I do still take Tylenol each day.

For help with extension I place my heel on a stool and allow my leg to straighten just with the use of gravity. You can slowly increase the amount of time you can leave it there. It should gradually increase. I hope you feel better soon.
 
Thank you . I am trying so hard to walk normal and without pain.
 
Lying in bed with knee elevated and icing while watching the 2016 Olympics. I took my two oldest grandchildren out yesterday (5 and 7) school shopping. I am feeling the aftereffects . Oh dear my knee is swollen and achy!
 
Take the day off and watch all the Olympics. At the end of everyday I find myself with my knee elevated and iced.
 
Had my OS appt yesterday. Dr was not impressed with my low ROM and extension. 95/8. He also examined the sores surrounding my incision and gave me a referral for an allergy test to rule out metal allergies. Are sores a symptom of metal allergies?
My OS said because I have a wide scar it may be the cause of my low rom and extension along with my tight hamstring. Said I may have to live with it. Encouraged me to do strengthening exercises.
I am so tired and frustrated! This definitely not what I expected
 
Bibi, I'm so sorry for all your troubles. I have no advice to offer, just a sincere hope that things improve as your knee recovers from everything.
 
Thank you. Trying to keep a positive attitude. I asked my daughter one day after PT why am I complaining? I met a teenager rehabbing. She was wearing a prosthetic AND had a cheerful disposition. Her mother shared with me in the waiting room she has cancer. Fifteen years old.
 
How can you tell if your implant is too big or is it swollen? My right knee looks much larger than my left. I am unable at this point obtain a good extension. I am about 8-10. My rom is about 95. When walking my hair is terrible one can see where my knee will not straighten. I am experiencing pain in the back of my knee when I walk and/or do any of the exercises suggested to increase my extension.
I am icing and elevating.
 
Back
Top Bottom