High Tibial Osteotomy It’s Done! From Revision to Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy

When massaging my knee I feel a bumpiness...is this normal?
 
Yes, it will feel that way for a while.
 
The past couple of days my pain and swelling has increased three-fold. The pain is a constant throbbing from my pelvic to below my knee. The swelling has increased and it look like bruising on either side of me. I am elevating and icing! I have my daughter checking in on me periodically.
I cannot control the pain. I took an oxycoden 5 mgs about an hour ago and two tylenols 500 mgs each a few minutes ago. This is agony
 
I'm so sorry! It's awful when your medications fail you.

Is your daughter there, or can she come over? Or a friend? I tend to hide when I hurt, but one night my neighbor called on the phone and could tell I was really hurting. She was here in a heartbeat and started jabbering about this and that, friends of hers I don't know, etc. and massaged my feet. Listening to her droning on, NOT talking about the pain, and focusing on the foot rub broke the cycle of me getting more and more worked up. Once I relaxed a bit, it was easier to put up with the pain.

Make sure, too, that you are icing and elevating correctly. It makes a real difference if the toes are above the nose and the ice is used long enough.

Let us know when this crisis has passed. You shouldn't have to be in such pain this far out. What have you done differently the past few days that could be to blame?
 
I do know when I sit at my desk in my home office I have to be very aware of myself to not stay there longer than 45 minutes at a time and then I move back to my make shift office on my bed with my leg elevated and iced. If I sit at my desk too long I pay for it dearly. But it sounds like this just came on so if it were me I would be making a call to my OS. I hope this pain gets resolved Bibi.
 
Hello!
I am still experiencing swelling and pain to my knee. Both sides of my knee looks bruised. Pain radiating down the inner part of my leg. I am taking one oxycodone and two Tylenols 2-3 times a day. I cancelled my therapy for this week to give my knee some time to settle down but it hasn't.
Is this normal to experience this at this stage of recovery? I am elevating and icing throughout the day. When I walk I am really stiff after a few minutes it loosens up. Before I get out of bed I do a few heel slides and massage my knee, the front and back to help relieve my tight hamstrings.
I am really worried. I have a trip planned in September to Istanbul and Ghana. While I know I won't be in tip top shape I am praying the tightness, stiffness and pain will subside and I can walk without a limp.
Do you think I am dreaming the impossible dream...?
 
Hi Bibi,
I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. I'm wondering if the compression has caused the bruising. It seems like if you're in so much pain, it would be worth a phone call to the on-call OS tomorrow, rather than waiting until Monday. Your trip is months away, so don't expend your energy worrying about it. Best to concentrate on what's happening now. Take care.
 
I am still experiencing swelling and pain to my knee. Both sides of my knee looks bruised. Pain radiating down the inner part of my leg. I am taking one oxycodone and two Tylenols 2-3 times a day. I cancelled my therapy for this week to give my knee some time to settle down but it hasn't.
It sounds as if your pain medications are not the right combination for you. Can you phone your surgeon and ask for a different regime? In some instances, if your surgeon is not helpful, your regular doctor (PCP/GP) may be able to prescribe something more effective, such as Tramadol + Tylenol (Acetaminophen).
 
Why do people think it's ok to say to you?:
Can't walk up/down steps? You aren't trying!

You didn't walk with a cane yesterday. Why are you walking with a cane today?

Straighten your leg!

You want sympathy just like....!

If it's hard for you to walk how can you drive?
And the list goes on and on!
Sorry for a few minutes of rant and frustration! But I had major surgery!! All this from my mother

Going back tomorrow full time. I own a child care center and will run the school age summer program. Consists of 15 5-10 year olds. Schedule and activities planned. Any insights or suggestions on dealing with my baby (my knee)? Don't want it to get jealous of the lack of attention and retaliate on me!
 
Will you be at desk or actively walking around supervising? If you're sitting, I found it helpful to walk for a couple of minutes every hour or so. If you're standing, make time to sit and elevate if possible and ice when you're doing that.
Oh, and crash with your ice pack when you get home for the day.
 
I will be sitting and moving. Have it planned out will have active movements and sitting activities to give my knee a break.
 
Question? Does the swelling inhibit a full knee extension? My knee is still swollen. I am at about 98 rom and about a 10 extension. When I walk my knee is not straight but bent. I stopped pt two weeks ago. I am back at work in a classroom.
 
Hi Bibi I'm certainly no expert but I would think swelling could impact both sides of the ROM spectrum (flexion and extension). How is your hamstring and calf muscle? Are they feeling tight or painful? I would think if you continue to do the stretches that Celle shared with you initially on extension that may help you. Good luck with returning to work, just take care of yourself.
 
Question? Does the swelling inhibit a full knee extension? My knee is still swollen. I am at about 98 rom and about a 10 extension.
Yes, swelling can inhibit full extension. Extension is also dependent on having flexible tendons, ligaments and muscles. All too often, these can shorten before or after surgery and it takes time and gentle exercise, to encourage them to lengthen again. That's why extension often takes longer to achieve than flexion.

I know I gave you these earlier, but I'll post that article again. Just work at a few of the exercises and stop as soon as you start to move from discomfort into pain.
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
 
Thank you!! Yes my hamstrings are extremely tight! I was afraid something went wrong with my surgery!
Thank you again for everything! I will reread the articles on exercising the hamstrings
 
Hope things loosen up for you soon @bibi! It's amazing to me how our body parts & wires are so intertwined with and affect each other, lol! I've learned something about extension from Celle because of your post- TY!!
 
Question! I am traveling to Myrtle Beach next week and I would like to get in the water. Although I am not extremely vain I would like to purchase a swimsuit that will cover my badge (scar). Any suggestions?
Thank you!
 
A lot of people tell me that but my scar is keloid and is wide. Thank you for the link!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom