High Tibial Osteotomy It’s Done! From Revision to Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy

It's not unusual to hear noises from your knee. It could be this:
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery
You're not doing heel slides to the point of pain are you? Or using anything to pull your knee back further?
I've always found it easier to do them when sitting up in a chair. Heel slides and how to do them

It's too early in your recovery for you to have developed troublesome adhesions and, in any case, hearing noises is not one of the symptoms.
 
Thank You! No I am not doing it to the point of pain and I am not using anything to pull it back. I had an MUA several months ago because of so called adhesions. Want to make sure I don't have to go through that again!
As always thank you!
 
Hello!
I am experiencing pain on the inner part of my knee. I know it may be the tendons that were cut during the surgery. Is there anything I can do to make it more bearable? Also I am now feeling pain on the back of my calves.

Tempted to make dinner yesterday couldn't do it. Going to try again today. When were you able to prepare a whole meal before feeling drained halfway through the preparations?
 
bibi, you can edit your posts (within the first 12 hours, I think it is) if you click on the box that says Edit at the bottom of each post.
 
Thank you! I tried. I am using my cell phone and it's not allowing me to. I will use my laptop
 
A whole dinner? Probably a couple of months.
 
Had therapy today. Knee was pretty swollen probably from all the walking I did over the past few days. PT asked if I wanted to use a compressor. Looked and felt like a blood pressure cup for the leg. It went from above my knee to my feet. Before it was put on PT measured my knee at different points. When it was over the PT measured again. It measured a cm smaller.
Have anyone undergone this? PT said she will see if I can take one home.
 
I've seen that type of equipment used before to help swelling in a limb by pushing the fluid up the leg. The fluid then just goes back into your normal circulation. It is usually supplied to those who have problems with their lymphatic system. No amount of elevating can help those individuals.
 
Hello,
I posted a few days ago about my swelling knee. The therapist had me in a leg compressor on Wednesday and again on Friday. The swelling is increasing! I am elevating and icing. I am not doing any exercises except the heel slides and ankle pumps. It is extremely painful when I am walking and the extension I gained earlier is almost nonexistent! I am taking an oxycodone and a Tylenol every 4-6 hrs. The pain is radiating from the back of my leg right under my hip to my calf. The front of my leg from the pelvic to just below my knee. The inner side of my knee from my pelvic to just below my knee.
When I get up to walk it is stiff and sore as the dickens! I am icing and elevating religiously. Told my daughter if swelling doesn't subside by Monday I am going to see my OS.
 
It's hurting really bad. I took another oxycodone and a Tylenol a few minutes ago. Waiting for it to kick in..
 
If this something that has occurred without warning and has gotten much worse without doing anything different I would call OS office now and ask to talk to doctor on call. The OS can then ease your mind.
 
This has been going on for the past few days. My PT also noted the tightening. Yesterday I had to go to my child care center to meet with my assistant director and a couple of my staff. I sat for about 4 hrs during the meeting but I was doing heel slides throughout. I went straight home afterwards. Elevated and iced. Swelling more. Kept ice on it. Heel slides and leg lifts only. Walking to bathroom only.

This morning a 45 minutes car ride to my nephew's baseball game. Sat in back seat knee resting on pillow and my ice pack. Trouble getting in and out of car. Field close to parking lot. Sat on bleachers. Should have walked/stretched between innings. After game over needed assistance getting into car. Went straight home, elevated, iced, medicated so painful! My knee is between severe and moderate easing more towards the severe..

Do you think perhaps the leg compressor may be contributing to the swelling and pain?

Can it be an infection? I can feel the pain in my bones! The knee is warm not hot to touch. The fact the pain is in my pelvic area is really concerning me.
 
Can someone change my thread title to RTKR REVISION: DOWN BUT NOT OUT!

Thank you Bonesmart... Thank you!
 
"If or when will I be able to soak in a bathtub and be able to get out?. I want a Calgon take me away bath! Showers are ok but I want to relax!"
Hi @bibi! A woman after my own heart!! Of course, as Celle said, you must wait until all open wounds are healed. Since I couldn't bend the new knee that much and thus couldn't get it under me to get out, this is how I did it at first: I used a small step stool--plastic, about 9" high, with a handle in the middle. (walmart less than $10) Put in tub at back and sit on it then "shinny" off and grab handle, colapse it and put outside of tub. When finished with the bath, put it behind you and "shinny" up onto it--with luck this will raise you up enough you can use your other leg and your arms on the tub edge to raise you the rest of the way. Go slow and carefully. Ah-h-h the joy of a warm bath. :bath: I really felt I was on the way to healing when I could bathe. Baths also ease the tightness in your legs and back. Side benefit was that I would put my tkr leg up on the side and stretch it out.

I had some problems with restless leg, but I quickly figured out that even though my pain was a lot better, I was trying to go off my pain meds too early in the game. As soon as I went back on them, the restlessness disappeared. :chillpill: A couple of weeks later, and I was fine to go off the meds.

Sorry you are having so much trouble with swelling--my OS was a firm believer in making progress slowly. He insisted "no pain!" He said people were creating the very problems they were trying to prevent by going at things too vigorously. It sounds to me like your PT people just can't back off and let nature do what nature is suppose to do. This weekend think happy thoughts,:SUNsmile: rest, elevate and ice! Seems like that poor leg of yours needs a chance to heal without all that interference from others. :elevate:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I had to go to my child care center. I sat for about 4 hrs during the meeting but I was doing heel slides throughout.

This morning a 45 minutes car ride to my nephew's baseball game. Sat in back seat knee resting on pillow and my ice pack. Trouble getting in and out of car. Field close to parking lot. Sat on bleachers. Should have walked/stretched between innings.
And when you were at the meeting, you shouldn't have been doing heel slides all the time. Plus it was as well you didn't do walking and stretches at the ball game - you shouldn't have been there at all! Not at the ball game nor at the meeting!
Do you think perhaps the leg compressor may be contributing to the swelling and pain?
Maybe but I think it's more likely because you are in a critical situation and making it worse with all these outings! You need to rest more.
 
Ok. Thank you Josephine! My thinking was it would be ok to sit and do repetitive heel slides to take away the stiffness.

It's just that I live with my daughter. She works everyday and is very helpful when she is home but I can't expect her to be home all the time. The walls feel like they are closing in on me. So when my sister asked if I wanted to go the game I jumped, well not jumped on it! The game was in the mountains, beautiful scenery something I thought I needed. But now I guess I am paying the price

Thank you ksii I will definitely take your advice!!

Josephine the swelling and pain started before yesterday. It's been a few days and I haven't done anything to contribute to it.
 
Just having your leg down that much could have contributed to the swelling.
 
I am cancelling all three of my physical therapy appointments this week. Going to concentrate on resting, elevating and icing along with the recommended light exercises suggested on this forum.
Thank you again Bonesmart!
 
My question: How can we educate the medical field about the proper protocol of rehabilitation after knee surgery? So much pain and delay of healing can be avoided!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom