Guest viewing is limited

High Tibial Osteotomy It’s Done! From Revision to Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy

Hello,
I had trouble with my replacement after undergoing an MUA. My ranges are dismal At my last consultation it was recommended I have the old one replaced.
 
Last edited:
Best wishes as you move forward. Revision is probably one of the worst words we can hear about our recovery. I may be hearing that word myself in the future, as my partial has not done well.
 
Hello,
I’m back again. This time for my third total knee revision on my right knee. Surgery date 7/27/2020. Going on hope and a prayer I will be able to bend and straighten my knee and not have a permanent limp. At the moment I am walking on the ball of my right knee. Suffering from massive scar tissue that’s also intertwined with my tendons/ligaments.
Ortho hopes to replace knee whilst scraping off scar tissue. No promises but I have to take this chance of having a more normal life.
 
@bibi
Welcome back to BoneSmart, I have updated your signature and have added you to the July Sparklers.

Hoping this third surgery will be the start of getting your life back. :fingersx:
 
@bibi :welome: back
Any Questions - you'll fine answers here.
Good luck with your forthcoming surgery :flwrysmile:
 
Thank You!
Has anyone had a third replacement and had a good outcome? I am currently at 25 and 35. My knee is bent to the point to where I literally walk on my toes or the ball of my foot. I was told I have massive scar tissue. Surgeon is going to replace my knee and clean up the scar tissue along my tendons and ligaments. Because of the way I have to walk the back of my knee is very painful.

So my question is has anyone gone through something similar and what was the outcome?
 
We had a member who is no longer active on the forum who had a third replacement, she is now participating in marathons.
Turned out she had a "mild" metal allergy.
@RunA42K seldom checks in, but if she does I have tagged her for you.
 
Had my revision on the 27th of July. Dr. said I had the Knee of the Year. Surgery took 3 hrs. I woke up with a drain and a brace. Make a long story short had massive scar tissue. I later found out I had a tibia tubercle osteotomy. I will be in a brace 24/7 except when bathing and pt. I will also have to be in a Dinosplint 3 hrs a day for at least 6 weeks. Anyone ever had this procedure done along with the a revision?
 
Hello @bibi - and :welome: to recovery again.

I've merged all your recovery threads about your right knee, to try and present a complete history of what your knee has been through.
I hope that this surgery will be successful and will be the last surgery you need to have on this poor knee.

Obviously, this is not your first rodeo, but I'm goi
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
ng to give you the recovery guidelines again, as a reminder:
 
Almost 3 months out and still in pain. This was my third revision on this knee (July 27, 2020). My leg is completely straight and am constant pain whether I am active or inactive. Surgeon told me it was to be expected because of the amount of work that was done.. but three months?

Attached are my most recent X-rays. Has anyone had or seen anything similar?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] It’s Done! From Revision to Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy
    47D9AB9B-8A73-4D38-807B-7EE1ADA646A3.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 129
  • [Bonesmart.org] It’s Done! From Revision to Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy
    90AC530D-B19F-4FA3-AD0A-02C1054E29FE.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 141
  • [Bonesmart.org] It’s Done! From Revision to Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy
    FB7794C6-0653-4970-8945-BA00AF5140F6.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 137
Surgeon told me it was to be expected because of the amount of work that was done.. but three months?
Yes, at 3 months out and considering all you have had done to that knee it is still early days in your recovery. Are you taking any pain medication? Icing and elevating? What has your surgeon suggested in terms of pain management?
 
Hello,
Thank you for responding! I’m taking oxycodone mostly at night to sleep. The pain is till there. Other than that no other pain management.
 
If you are not taking any pain medication during the day I suggest you call your family doctor and discuss pain management with them. Taking medication only at night is slowing regaining your mobility.
 
Back
Top Bottom