High Tibial Osteotomy It’s Done! From Revision to Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy

@bibi Welcome and best wishes to you.
I'm sorry you've had so many problems but thank goodness you found the Smarties.
You will receive what I believe to be sound advice from the staff here.They are wonderful.
We all have some sort of joint surgery in common.
I myself was lucky in my recovery and am looking forward to the RTKR soon.
My therapists were fantastic and indeed applied ice themselves every session if that tells you anything.
After reading that the therapist should never force your knee I was prepared to go to the hardware store to get a piece of 1/4" dowel rod to rap knuckles like an old schoolteacher but I never had to :-)
Slow and steady wins this race.

Good luck,
Dave
 
Thank you Dave for the warm welcome! I am really appreciating the sound advice and common sense approach to my recovery. Everyone has been awesome!
 
Traveling. I plan to travel overseas in September. The flight is 18 hours. Do you think it will be ok? Any special preparations before and during the flight? My daughter is accompanying me.
 
This article gives some helpful suggestions:
Flying soon after surgery

Since there's often a long way to walk to reach your departure gates, it will be helpful if you ask for wheelchair assistance.

Your 18-hour journey will be broken up into at least two flights, so make sure that, even with wheelchair assistance, you do some walking while you're on the ground between flights.
Try to book an aisle seat on the planes, so that you can get up and walk a bit during the flights, or else you will get very stiff.

I have a long journey (from NZ to the UK) in a couple of weeks. I'll be wearing flight socks, to help prevent DVTs and doing lots of ankle pumps while I'm sitting down. I'll keep well hydrated and drink only water, tea or fruit juice - no alcohol.
 
Thank you for the advice and article! It was quite helpful and very informative. I see the main concern is the DVT. I thought that may be an issue.
Thank You!

Where can I purchase/order flight socks? I live in the states.
 
They sell flight socks on Amazon, but I got ours from the travel department in our local department store.
 
Had my 6 week check up with my OS he likes how I am progressing. Noted my hamstrings are still pretty tight. Suggested a couple of exercises to do including propping my leg on a coffee table for extension. He also suggested eating bananas and drinking orange juice good for potassium. My daughter's trainer also suggested this to her whenever she gets a Charlie horse.
Next appointment end of summer!



Question: Is it a good idea to massage your scar to smooth and/or break up adhesions. I was told to do this after my knee replacement because my scar keloid.
 
You can get support knee highs or stockings at any drug store.

I'm glad that you're doing well and your OS is pleased with your progress so far. I travelled before my TKR and I got up and stood in the aisle and walked a bit in the plane during the flight. Some planes have extra leg room seats that you can inquire about. They do cost a bit extra but not as much as first class seating. I was able to keep my legs moving that way.
 
Question: Is it a good idea to massage your scar to smooth and/or break up adhesions. I was told to do this after my knee replacement because my scar keloid.
There's no need to do this. Left to itself, the scar will flatten out and become mobile, in time. Nature knows what it's doing and your wound can heal properly, without intervention.

If you're prone to keloid scars, massaging won't prevent them. However, if you like the feeling, massaging gently with a moisturiser will do no harm, as long as your skin surface is completely healed, with no open areas or scabs.

These articles may help:
Massage post THR
Massage post THR
 
If or when will I be able to soak in a bathtub and be able to get out?. I want a Calgon take me away bath! Showers are ok but I want to relax! I tried this before my revision and unfortunately I did it with no one home. Took me about an half hour to get out... was afraid I was going to have to call the police . Eventually made it out.
Has anyone have/had similar difficulty? Are you able to take a bath? How far along were you?
It's the little things I really miss..
 
If or when will I be able to soak in a bathtub and be able to get out?
You will be able to soak in a bath once your incision is completely healed, with no scabs or open areas at all, no matter how small they are. To soak before that risks introducing infection.

As for getting out of the tub, it's best to practice first. If you can get up off the floor, you stand a good chance of being able to get out of the bath.
Then, try a "dry run" in the bath, while you are fully dressed and while you have a "helper" in the house and on call - it's much less embarrassing if you have to be rescued while you're dressed than when you're naked and wet! :yikes:

When you do have your soak in the bath, it's still best not to do it when you are alone in the house - just in case you slip or need help. It's nice to have someone to wash your back for you, too.
 
I was so afraid the police would have to be called lol! So eventually I will be able to do it...great!
 
I am sorry but at the moment I am experiencing at the moment what 99% of us are/were going through... A restless knee/leg. Tonight it seems much more painful and uncomfortable . Did the pain pill, elevation, ice, pillow between knees, laying on back, side, stomach... No relief. Sleep please come
 
I understand that. I can't get comfortable enough to sleep a whole night in bed so I usually stay in my recliner with ice, elevation and meds and also a nice boring documentary with my TV set to turn itself off in 30 minutes.
 
Thanks for the article!


I know it isn't common but what are the signs and symptoms of adhesions on a TKR?
 
Yes adhesions are very rare, in spite of what the PT therapists would have you believe. It's too soon for you to be worrying about them, as they don't develop this early in recovery.
As long as your ROM is improving (no matter how slowly) you don't have them.
 
Thanks! The reason I asked is when I do my heel slides while lying down I feel and internally hear a ripping or crackling sort of sound? I was worried thought it may be adhesions breaking up..
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom